Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil leak
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
celicamike
Hey guys, as some of you may know, I've had a small oil leak in my '94 GT 5S-FE for a while now, but lately its been getting worse. So on saturday, I finally climbed under my car to see where the leak is coming from. It looks like the oil is leaking out from under the timing cover, so my guess is its the front crank seal. According to my repair manual, the seal can be replaced without removing the engine or oil pump, but you do have to remove the timing belt and timing gear. So what I want to know is, how much will it be to have the seal replaced? I will probably take it to Toyota to have the work done. If any of you have already done this, where did you go and how much was it? Were you satisfied with the fix? Thanks a lot
bman
it depends from shop to shop... if you can help it, wait until you need the timing belt done so you save $$$ on the labor

expect to pay over $300
bindertch
Where at in So Cal are you? I might know a shop you could take it to. Also as stated it would be the same labor charge to have the timing belt changed at the same time.
celicamike
Unfortunately, I just had the timing belt replaced about 6 months ago, but there wasn't a big leak then (wish I had known). By the way I live north of L.A. in the antelope valley by Palmdale and Lancaster. Anyway, I plan on telling Toyota that it started leaking after they changed the timing belt, so maybe they'll cut me some sort of break. Do you guys think this will work? If not, how much would you expect them to charge? It cost 400 bucks just when they changed the timing belt.
bindertch
The shop that I know is in San Diego. I would look into an indipendent shop because it seems that Toyota chagred pretty high on that one.
airfron
i live in lancaster. smile.gif i didn't think anyone else om this site was from this hellhole. i've never replaced that seal on my car but i've done most of the work on my car and would be willing to help you if you wanted to try and do it yourself. sierra toyota sucks!! they have constantly screwed up my orders from their parts dept. and have poor customer service too. i never take my car to the stealership for work.
celicamike
I've actually seen several celicas around lancaster, but mostly stock and probably not on the site. Anyway, I'm going to take my car in to the dealer to see if they'll discount my labor since they just replaced the t belt. If they won't be willing to deal, then I'm going to go to an independent shop for the repairs. My dad recomended a place called Kars on sierra hwy.
airfron
The only shop i've gone to locally was Attwood and Son's, they are reasonable and do good work. i think that Kars place is by Snooky's laugh.gif ... for some reason i would rather do any work i can myself. me paying someone ~$60/hr to do something that might take me a little longer but gets done just the same just seems like a waste. i dunno. are you going to the socal meet in july?
dennischan0919
it's a good idea when you have the timing belt replaced, also replace the crank seal, cam seal, and oil pump seal!
celicamike
Well, when I took my car in to Toyota, they cut me a deal and fixed my leak without charging any labor involved with removing and putting back on the timing belt. It turned out that the leak was coming from the oil pump seal. I ended up replacing the oil pump seal, the crank seal, and the camshaft seal, all for $340. They even gave me a new timing belt free of charge. I'm pretty satisfied I guess, especially considering how much I paid last time for just the timing belt. By the way, I can't go to the SoCal meet in July as I will be gone all summer.
airfron
That's good to hear. Too bad you can't come to the meet, i'm sure it'll be a good time.
Davesceli
QUOTE(celicamike @ Jun 4, 2007 - 8:15 PM) [snapback]564854[/snapback]

Hey guys, as some of you may know, I've had a small oil leak in my '94 GT 5S-FE for a while now, but lately its been getting worse. So on saturday, I finally climbed under my car to see where the leak is coming from. It looks like the oil is leaking out from under the timing cover, so my guess is its the front crank seal. According to my repair manual, the seal can be replaced without removing the engine or oil pump, but you do have to remove the timing belt and timing gear. So what I want to know is, how much will it be to have the seal replaced? I will probably take it to Toyota to have the work done. If any of you have already done this, where did you go and how much was it? Were you satisfied with the fix? Thanks a lot

I had a leak in the same place. cost me 600 cuz i had em change the water and oil pump along with two new axles. so probably 350-400.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.