Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: advance timing?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Daftboy
How do I go about doing something like this?
Supersprynt
I wouldn't on your car.
Daftboy
bitter has on his... i do not see what the big deal would be....plus i run 94 octane all the time thanks too me not having to pay for gas biggrin.gif
Batman722
we'll do it at DWG, just bring a timing light.
Daftboy
sounds like a plan dustin....ill put it in the trunk now
Supersprynt
The reason I say I wouldn't is because of the increased risk in detonation. If your getting 94 octane this will def. help.

Where are you getting 94 octane? Sunoco stopped selling it frown.gif
Daftboy
the one by me still sells 94.....they also have Cam2-100 octane
airfron
i've advanced my timing just the same... i haven't seen any negative side effects in anyway. just be sure to use the proper gas and you'll be fine. i run 91 octane with no problems.
Daftboy
ok...but HOW do i do it...lol..I need to take off the cap. then in there is there a weight or something...help me out =p
devilsden97
it can easily be done at the DWG meet. We almost did it last year to my GT at the track.
Supersprynt
QUOTE(Daftboy @ Jun 7, 2007 - 3:00 PM) [snapback]566123[/snapback]

ok...but HOW do i do it...lol..I need to take off the cap. then in there is there a weight or something...help me out =p

http://www.toyotacelicaonline.com/timing.htm
airfron
i just sent him that link laugh.gif
stephen_lee
hmm, so instead of 95 WHP, i shoulld now have about 105 WHP (16* btdc)
Bitter
i also replied to his PM with that link. i did my timing before i had a tach, so i cant give exact numbers....
but stock in 1st gear at about 30mph i felt this little surge of power , advancing timing made that surge a steady pull but i choked a little nearing 5500-5700rpm, the header opened it up and i no longer feel as if the engine is gasping. advancing timing made the engine feel much more twitchy and responsive at lower rpms and it felt like it pulled with a little more power. i'm ok on 89 octane, but as i said in my PM, every engine is different. my innards are very clean and my compression is even all across, my engine is in good shape. if your engine isnt in good shape then i suggest you dont do this as it adds more stress to the top of the piston and the first ring by exerting peak pressure against them longer.
Supersprynt
Its helpful to post the links so other people can search and get answers too.
Bitter
you posted the same link 2 of us sent him in PM's.
Supersprynt
QUOTE(Bitter @ Jun 8, 2007 - 8:55 AM) [snapback]566346[/snapback]

you posted the same link 2 of us sent him in PM's.

Yeah I saw that. But when someone has the same question, its helpful to post it in the forum so they can receive the same link also, savvy?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.