Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: turbo it or 3sgte swap???
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
lubu
im juggling between buying a st205 clip and do a conversion or turboing my 5sfe...which one you guys think is better?....im kinda leaning toward the swap but that's gonna take too much time, if you guys can give me the advantages and disadvantages of both that would be great..

...btw my engine is leaking oil and im thinking it's from the rear main seal, fixing it would required taking the tranny off...might as well swap it laugh.gif
tonytutino
i'd just go ahead and swap it dude. if you turbo your 5sfe you ought get new cams, pistons, etc... and its not like your engine is really meant for the turbo...
on the other hand you have the 3sgt-e which i do believe you'll get more power from anyways. plus its already turbo'd properly and ready to roll from the get-go. also, it depends on your 5sfe mileage, high mileage+ turbo = riskyyyy.

but hey its really up to how much time you're willing to dedicate and what you honestly want. since you made a joke about swapping it, come on you know you really wanna thumbsup.gif

Kadett
You think swapping will take more time then sorting out all the problems/stuff you need to do the run a 5S-FTE properly without problems?

A swap, if well prepared and help off a mechanic, could easily be done within a week (as done with me car)
lubu
thanks for the reply guys...yea i think i'll swap it...hopefully re-wiring doesnt take too much time..a st205 clip i think only 9 wires need to be re-wired...does anyone know how complicate it is for re-wiring the 3s genII??
tonytutino
let dr. tweak do your wiring wink.gif
he'll "hook" you up right, buhahaha
lubu
im goin to swap my engine soon, found two but i dunno which one to go ahead with, one is the dual vvti beams blacktop RWD and the other is st205.
the dual vvti i believe is mounted vertical...is it possible to mount in our car without too much mod?
Kadett
Problem comes with the intake with it points the wrong way.
lubu
true its pointing outwards...but i think i have enough room...our car's front are pretty long..
anyway is it an easy swap compare to the st205 ??
SlowCelica94
3s swap it. The 5s can make some nice power, but it's my opinion that a 3s swap is the less painless route
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.