Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Head Unit Wiring Problem
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Interior/Audio/Electrical/Wiring
Petes_24
Hello,

Normally I have no problems installing new head units to my car...but I have a problem this time. After my car got broken into last year I just hooked up the stock radio and it worked fine. Two days ago I got a new CD player and went to hook it up, so I connected all the wires to the Toyota wiring harness and everything should have worked...but i hooked it up and nothing, no blown fuse, no sounds at all and the new cd player wouldnt do anything. After a while of getting irritated I decided to just put back in the stock cd player for now and now that doesnt work either. Is there something I am forgetting to check? Any ideas would be appreciated because I really dont want to have to bring it in.
vile_v
QUOTE(Petes_24 @ Jun 17, 2007 - 11:27 PM) [snapback]569366[/snapback]

Hello,

Normally I have no problems installing new head units to my car...but I have a problem this time. After my car got broken into last year I just hooked up the stock radio and it worked fine. Two days ago I got a new CD player and went to hook it up, so I connected all the wires to the Toyota wiring harness and everything should have worked...but i hooked it up and nothing, no blown fuse, no sounds at all and the new cd player wouldnt do anything. After a while of getting irritated I decided to just put back in the stock cd player for now and now that doesnt work either. Is there something I am forgetting to check? Any ideas would be appreciated because I really dont want to have to bring it in.

check your fuses, usually they are forgotten and are just burnt.

if thats not the case hope this helps.
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/stereodetail/2052.html
Petes_24
That was my first thought and the one that makes the most sense but all are good...and the cig lighter works which runs off the same fuse.
Racer_J
This might sound obvious but have you plugged the antenna lead into the back of the head unit? My JVC head unit wouldn't work until I did this yet it's never been an issue on my other cars.

IPB Image
jason
did you check the 20A fuse under the hood, also, or just the 15A one by ur leg, i think those are the correct current ratings...
Starcraftjunkie
If you blow the 10A fuse (in my case, it was from the power antenna), the stereo won't work either. Then again, if the 10A fuse goes, you notice it right away at night, cuz the headlights/courtesy lights/dome lights go crazy. tongue.gif

Like people said, check all the fuses under the hood. 10A, 15A, 20A.. heck, the 7.5A too.
Manny
Use a multimeter on the power, acc and ground wires to see if they are hot, (or if the ground is actually grounding)
If not, then you can do 2 things:
1. Trace the wiring all the way and look for a short or any other problem.
2. Run new power wires and ground the ground wire to any metal under the dash that is connected to the frame. (The easiest IMO)

The power wire can lead off any 12v power wires that are activated by turning on the ignition. The acc power wires, which keep memory of things like your clock and last song info, require a constant 12v connection, so you would have to make sure whatever you lead off of is always hot.

Hope this help... I sometimes ramble and assume that I make sense.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.