Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whinning noise when I turn on my radio.
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Interior/Audio/Electrical/Wiring
UTSlickVic
Ok guy/gals,

When I turn on my head unit (CD/radio/sirius/etc) I hear some feed back whinning noise coming through the speakers. And when I change CD tracks I can hear a garbled track-change noise through the speakers (it use to be I just heard this coming from the unit itself, never though the speakers). It has never made this noise before. The last thing I did was the premium 8 speaker set up (with stock amps) and it never made that noise before.

Now for the kicker (and I maybe waaay off base but...) I THINK this noise started when I recharged my a/c freon. I remember recharging it and when I turned on my car the a/c was COOL but I noticed that whinning noise. I may have put too much.... anyways. Am I retarded or something? If not, let me know.

Anyways I'm guessing its a grounding isssue..... sigh But where do I start? I mean dang its been awhile since I messed with my system. Im really dont want to go around and check every wire.

PS: Would having mutiple grounds be causing this?

Thanks wink.gif
Salt_City_GT
Does the whine echo the sound of your engine??
UTSlickVic
QUOTE(Salt_City_GT @ Jun 20, 2007 - 3:26 PM) [snapback]570554[/snapback]

hmm thats a good question SCT..... hmmmm
I got to check if that is a symptom. If it does what does that mean?
jgreening
QUOTE(UTSlickVic @ Jun 20, 2007 - 3:11 PM) [snapback]570543[/snapback]

Ok guy/gals,

When I turn on my head unit (CD/radio/sirius/etc) I hear some feed back whinning noise coming through the speakers.

Thats Dr. Laura Schlessinger.
gt_driFFter
QUOTE(UTSlickVic @ Jun 21, 2007 - 10:48 AM) [snapback]570855[/snapback]

QUOTE(Salt_City_GT @ Jun 20, 2007 - 3:26 PM) [snapback]570554[/snapback]

hmm thats a good question SCT..... hmmmm
I got to check if that is a symptom. If it does what does that mean?

A bad ground somewhere
bufferdan
run a ground wire from the mounting bracket on the side of the stereo to a good grounding point somewhere.
UTSlickVic
QUOTE(bufferdan @ Jun 21, 2007 - 2:23 PM) [snapback]570941[/snapback]

run a ground wire from the mounting bracket on the side of the stereo to a good grounding point somewhere.

Ok. But lets say I have mutiple grounds.... can that be a bad thing also? The reason I ask is because I thought I heard that having multiple grounds can cause feeback.
bufferdan
idk...try it and see what happens. Ive had this issue before and just ran another ground off the radio and it has fixed it.
Salt_City_GT
I have never heard anything about multiple grounds but if so I would think that if any of them are bad you would get that sound. If the whine gets louder as you rev your engine then the ground is bad. You need to run a ground wire to a shorter ground than any of the others and if that fixes it then you just need to fix the bad ground. I had this same problem in my old car its a nuisance but easy to fix
UTSlickVic
QUOTE(Salt_City_GT @ Jun 21, 2007 - 3:33 PM) [snapback]570969[/snapback]

I have never heard anything about multiple grounds but if so I would think that if any of them are bad you would get that sound. If the whine gets louder as you rev your engine then the ground is bad. You need to run a ground wire to a shorter ground than any of the others and if that fixes it then you just need to fix the bad ground. I had this same problem in my old car its a nuisance but easy to fix

Great! Thanks for the help guys. I will do it this weekend.
jason
supposedly... if you run power ground and signal next to each other instead of on diff sides of the car it can cause this, dont know if you re-routed any wires, or knocked a ground off somewhere n its just like hanging there not making contact, when you say multiple grounds... did you just split the normal black ground wire into 2 or three locations, or did you make diff grounds, per each amp and also the headunit itself?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.