Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: intake tube sizes
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
dutchboy
I have a couple spectre short ram intake tubes (3" diameter) that I am thinking about hooking together to make a cold air intake(I need a 90 deg elbow). I would then need to reduce to 2.5" at the intake manifold.
I got them pretty cheap, will be close to price of an bay intake for an ST once I get a filter.

Is this okay, or is it better to be same size all the way?

Thanks!
cHinaman727
All I know is that the larger the diameter, the greater the air flow. That is if I know my physics but then again haven't taken a class in forever.
Kerr1
it moves more air when u go from a large diameter to a smaller one...but there r boundaries...like say from 3 to 1" but u would get more power from wat u wantin to do than say 2.5 tha whole way.
dutchboy
What do you think of the cone filters that have a 360 deg. heat shield around the element?

I'm not sure if they are washable, and I don't know if this would kill the air flow?

Thanks
Kerr1
if it does restrict ne airflow i dont think it would b enough to tell.
Jlacker3
What exact Spectre parts/how many did you buy. I thought about doin that too.
Jaws4God
I actually went with a Mazda intake which is 2".. I realized that our intake manifold only has about a 2" inlet so why use 3" only to just have it go into a smaller manifold? smile.gif

IPB Image
b1gr3d
larger dia = more FLOW but less velocity.....smaller dia = more VELOCITY but less flow...so it all depends. but generally 2-3in for our engines
6strngs
if it helps any, I tried to stick a 2.5" coupler on the throttle body and it was slightly too big, and I also stuck a 2.25" coupler on there and it was a really tight fit. so it's somewhere inbetween but either could work
dutchboy
QUOTE(Jlacker3 @ Jul 27, 2007 - 9:41 PM) [snapback]583100[/snapback]

What exact Spectre parts/how many did you buy. I thought about doin that too.

Go to your local autozone, I picked the spectre intake tubes up for $12 each on clearance(YMMV). I might go with an accord CAI though.

I think Checkers/Kragen/Schucks is having the mid-size spectre filters for $20 right now? About $35 total for a SRI. The angle on the spectre SRI tube is actually really nice, would put filter right in the old filter box spot(cut to size).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.