Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No spark + New Battery = ?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
garygarrett1
Ok the diagnostics begin, anybody have a list for me to run down that will help me isolate what the problem could possibly be.

'94 7afe ST (MT)

I have a new ECU on the way (thanks to illneversellmyceli)

any way as a newb to celica's and mechanically not the most rounded individual, what would be the obvious starting points other than the battery.

Culpable04
first step .

determine Check engine light code !

hopefully this ECU will tell you what's wrong. based on that people here will guide you to the next step.
mneal2_92788
sparkplugs, wires, and distributor cap. then check connection on battery
garygarrett1
Ok, so i put the key in the on position and no check engine light! I am looking through the Haynes manual and don't see anything.

Ideas?

QUOTE(Culpable04 @ Jul 27, 2007 - 7:38 PM) [snapback]583076[/snapback]

first step .

hopefully this ECU will tell you what's wrong. based on that people here will guide you to the next step.

nsxtypeR
QUOTE(garygarrett1 @ Jul 28, 2007 - 7:50 AM) [snapback]583165[/snapback]

Ok, so i put the key in the on position and no check engine light! I am looking through the Haynes manual and don't see anything.

Ideas?

QUOTE(Culpable04 @ Jul 27, 2007 - 7:38 PM) [snapback]583076[/snapback]

first step .

I had the same a while ago.
Found out it was a broken fuse/relais for the efi. It is located in the fusebox near the battery. Its's the blue one

You can hotwire it, atleast you can still drive then till you get a new one
garygarrett1
ok i pulled that relay and it looks ok, how do you test it?
nsxtypeR
Leave the relais out of the car, then you've got to bridge the 2 pins that supply 12V to the relais. When you turn on the ignition, the cel will appear on the dash and you 'll be able to drive again.
I'll try to post some pics tomorrow
garygarrett1
QUOTE(nsxtypeR @ Jul 29, 2007 - 1:59 PM) [snapback]583416[/snapback]

Leave the relais out of the car, then you've got to bridge the 2 pins that supply 12V to the relais. When you turn on the ignition, the cel will appear on the dash and you 'll be able to drive again.
I'll try to post some pics tomorrow

Ok i will try that when I see what you are referring to,

Today:
New + & - Battery cables
New Iridium Spark plugs - Bosch (bty there was some oil in the center two plugs? Bad head gasket?)

Starter is now turning but not getting any ignition

thoughts?
lagos
(bty there was some oil in the center two plugs? Bad head gasket?)

haha, no ... bad valve cover gasket.
garygarrett1
Had my post about buying spark plug tubes deleted mad.gif so I guess I will ask the question here. Does anyone know where to source the tubes?

With all the reading I have done, it seems to be a fairly common problem and none of the stores I have searched (autozone, pep boys, wal mart) carry these tubes.

Culpable04
I didn't get to see the post, but most likely was deleted because it wasn't properly tittled.

make sure when you make a post on the buying and selling section it has

WTB ( want to buy )
or

FS ( for sale )
or
WTT ( want to trade )

that should be in front of your tittle, is the first thing you right so people know what kind of transaction you're looking for.

as for the tubes

go to toyotaworld.com and check the price may not be too much.
Bitter
are you getting fuel? if neither spark nor fuel then you should check connection to the distributor, since thats where both of those are tied to. no cps signal means no spark and no fuel, but as said before check ALL fuses and the efi/htr relays.
garygarrett1
QUOTE(Bitter @ Jul 30, 2007 - 11:33 AM) [snapback]583690[/snapback]

are you getting fuel? if neither spark nor fuel then you should check connection to the distributor, since thats where both of those are tied to. no cps signal means no spark and no fuel, but as said before check ALL fuses and the efi/htr relays.

OK here's where i stand, new ECU is in (huge pain in the A$$ mad.gif ), New battery cables, New Spark plugs, CAI installed (another huge pain in the A$$ mad.gif ), took distributor cap and plug wires to autozone and had them tested to make sure they were ok (all good biggrin.gif )

Now I can get it to crank but again no spark - what the hell am i missing here?
stephen_lee
are you actually pulling the plug and seeing no spark?
as in pulling thte plug out, connecting the wire, and touching the base of the plug to a good ground as the car is cranked. if its blue, its good, orange is weak. and obviously bo spark is bad.. check the coil?
garygarrett1
QUOTE(stephen_lee @ Aug 7, 2007 - 6:55 AM) [snapback]585993[/snapback]

are you actually pulling the plug and seeing no spark?
as in pulling thte plug out, connecting the wire, and touching the base of the plug to a good ground as the car is cranked. if its blue, its good, orange is weak. and obviously bo spark is bad.. check the coil?

I pulled the plug wire going into the distributor and laid it just inside to get connection and watched for a spark when cranking and nothing zip zilch notta.

stephen_lee
then most likely the coil is bad.
check the connections to the distributor first, though.
garygarrett1
rolleyes.gif so I tried the paperclip thing and blew three additional fuses kindasad.gif

So I am assuming that it's not the relay and it HAS to be the coil?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.