Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 7afe Options
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
drft4life21
Looking to find out the best way to get quick power out of this motor. i keep hearing about this motor being the better out of the 2 (7afe and 5sfe). So what can i do to get some quick power for little money? intake is a must i know that, and im sure a new mufler would help as well. But are there any more modifications i can do to help this motor produce alittle more power than it does?
Bitter
what year?
drft4life21
96, 25th an edition
95CelicaST
Turbo it, or swap. The F-series head does not respond to modifications very well, so an intake, header (look on ebay for a 93-97 Corolla 1.8L) and exhaust might yeild a 2-5HP gain.

You could turbo it, or swap in another A-series engine. The 4A-GE is a strong motor with a little more potential than the 7A-FE. It will drop right in to an ST's mounts and transmission. All that needs to be done is have it wired.. in which case you should contact a user on here by the name of Dr. Tweak. wink.gif
drft4life21
YOU CAN PUT A 4AGE IN THAT CAR>>>> biggrin.gif 20V TRD tuned 4A-GE w/ITB if i can then

or as far as that, can i do a head swap?
FortuneCookie
QUOTE(drft4life21 @ Aug 15, 2007 - 2:05 PM) [snapback]588179[/snapback]

YOU CAN PUT A 4AGE IN THAT CAR>>>> biggrin.gif 20V TRD tuned 4A-GE w/ITB if i can then

or as far as that, can i do a head swap?

You can. A full motor swap for the 4AGE is possible. But if you are doing a 7AFE to 7AGE using the 4AGE head and the 7AFE bottom end, the silver top and black top are harder to fuse. But anything can be done when it comes to money and customizing. I think old man NiK has a 7AGTE (t = Turbo) done with 300hp+ and Frotou does as well. But then again Presure2 got his stock long block 5SFE to 300hp+. But that took both of them some hell of a time and money. Over all, just spend it on a 3SGTE swap. According to old Dr.Tweak, the 3SGTE swap is easier to do on a ST than a GT (for him that is).
Bitter
a shame its not a 94 or 95, on those engines you can fiddle with the timing to make a little more power. timing advance and the ebay header make a nice little bit of extra zip for pretty cheap.
xs94st
i recommend the 3sgte swap as well.

i have a 7afe and everything ive done doesn't add up to what i want. so, im saving for the 3sgte.
playr158
3sgte is going to be the cheapest way to get lots of hp.
7afte is going to be the second cheapest way
4age is going to be the third

either way its going to take some nice work

and BTW P2 is @ 235whp (see his sig)
hashmaster52
QUOTE(Bitter @ Aug 15, 2007 - 2:23 PM) [snapback]588198[/snapback]

a shame its not a 94 or 95, on those engines you can fiddle with the timing to make a little more power. timing advance and the ebay header make a nice little bit of extra zip for pretty cheap.

i have a 95! i eventually wanna swap, but in the meantime, i want a lil more zip. i have an intake and full exhaust already and i heard that advancing the timing or something would help. i also heard that i would have to use a higher octane gas if i did though.....is that true?

so if i do mess with the timing, how much should i advance to get best results? thx.
Bitter
i'm running 15btdc on 89 octane. i could feel the difference for sure, the ebay header was also a gain.
malpaso
my opinion below:

a) mode what you have (better intake, remove cat, improve exhaust system, etc...) IMHO cheapest way but question is: is that legal?
b) add turbo (I have my self exclusive 7AFTE DCW edition under the hood biggrin.gif)
c) swap (if it's that better or cheaper than turbo kit should answer someone else... I'm not unbiased wink.gif)
d) sell ST & buy GT...
hashmaster52
QUOTE(Bitter @ Aug 15, 2007 - 11:41 PM) [snapback]588331[/snapback]

i'm running 15btdc on 89 octane. i could feel the difference for sure, the ebay header was also a gain.

so then would u say that 15btdc gives the best results? or is that just where u set it at? and also, what is the stock timing supposed to be set at? thx.
Bitter
the sticker under your hood states the base timing. your results may vary if your car is cali spec. sure fire way to tell if it can be done or not is to look for 2 bolts allowing distributor adjustment instead of one. 2 means it can be done, one means it cant be. also if you're cali spec emissions then you probably have a precat in the exhaust system which can further hinder performance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.