Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4Wheel drive conversion
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
FireinDC
ok before i hear you ask me why--- or something like i should import a gt4 or whatever... just anser me this (btw i did a search for this and found nothing) im geting a celica st for cheap (200$-500$) with a blown engine and im gunna throw a 3sgte in it... but... smile.gif ive been thinking...ok tell me can i get a old alltrack like a 3rd gen and swap the 3sgte and the tranny? what trouble would i run into? About how much would thbis cost? ok if i cant do that what other options are there to make this car 4wd?? any ideas welcome smile.gif
FireinDC
also go here and look at the ST185 Celica will that plug into a 98 st ?
97sccelica
most everything supposedly bolts in,

it just requires a lot of labor and the trunk floor plans must be swapped with those from a 6th gen GT4

and it must be from a 6th gen gt4, a 5th gen will not work, only the 5th gen engine will go in, the drive train will not
kuya1284
QUOTE (FireinDC @ Aug 5, 2003 - 10:36 PM)
ok before i hear you ask me why--- or something like i should import a gt4 or whatever... just anser me this (btw i did a search for this and found nothing) im geting a celica st for cheap (200$-500$) with a blown engine and im gunna throw a 3sgte in it... but... smile.gif ive been thinking...ok tell me can i get a old alltrack like a 3rd gen and swap the 3sgte and the tranny? what trouble would i run into? About how much would thbis cost? ok if i cant do that what other options are there to make this car 4wd??  any ideas welcome smile.gif

I don't think you searched hard enough... considering that it's been discussed many times ... especially on Celica.net.

I keep reading all these people saying that they've searched, but if you ask me, I really don't think so... people... you need to learn how to search using various keywords and phrases. All you people that want to jump into a project of this magnitude will need to learn how to *research* because

1. The information is out there on the Internet
2. Even is this project was *practical*, the pro's and con's have been discussed MANY times
3. Research is the key to making this (HUGE) project successul

So pull out that shovel and start digging...

Just my helpful $0.02...
Stipt
No one should attempt the AWD conversion unless they have a place that does lazer percision welding and can do it by the micro inch. Otherwise your alignment is gonna be thrown off and you will have one hell of a time keeping it straight doing 100+ without feeling scared. Tilting your wheel sideways at that speed to go straight just isn't worth it to me.
Inferno
Matt said something about frame-holding pieces of equipment that major shops have. I think that would take care of the problem.
Stipt
Its the welding that throws it off though, thats the thing. Because it is not exact, when you weld it tosses it off just a hair and it has to be exact. So that throws your alignment off. Attempt if you wish, but if you do normal welding, more than likely you're going to fail, sorry for being pesamistic*SP* but thats the way the wheel turns
Inferno
Well, I can respect your attitude toward something that (as far as we know) has not been successfully completed. However, I think it can be done. And once I get my car, get a good job and so forth, I'm willing to try. That's only one of the things I'm thinking about converting, as well. I look forward to the challenge.
97sccelica
QUOTE (Inferno @ Aug 7, 2003 - 5:31 PM)
Well, I can respect your attitude toward something that (as far as we know) has not been successfully completed. However, I think it can be done. And once I get my car, get a good job and so forth, I'm willing to try. That's only one of the things I'm thinking about converting, as well. I look forward to the challenge.

thats a good attitude

there is one person curently working on an AWD conversion as well as 3sgte swap. he is doin the work himself. im not sure of what tools he has access to, except for a sawzall, lol

it is a lot of work, and it will cost a lot of money, but it can be done. all you need is all the parts, experience, and patience. i would love to do the conversion, but i think i will save up the money and do what it takes to import a 94-95 GT4. i might register it as a show car, drive it on the weekends and drive the ST daily.
Stipt
Who is currently doin' the process? I'm not trying to be negative, just warning people before they start buying all the parts and find out they bit off more than they could chew. It sad to see money wasted ya know?
97sccelica
qatar11 aka mike.

he is mainly on celica.net

he has all the parts already and began the process a while ago. he bought a whole gt4 for $4000 shipped if i remember correctly
Coomer
I'm guessing that Mike will be able to pull it off. smile.gif That guy's a pioneer in the sixth generation Celica community and is really smart when it comes to that stuff.
Inferno
Matt is doing it as well, for his girlfriend. I think he said to be on the look-out near the end of the year, but I could be wrong. I just don't want to step on any toes.
97sccelica
he hasn't really given too many updates, but here is a link to pics he has taken

http://www.topshelfracing.com/p2/images/d1/
Inferno
Interesting.
aaronc222
From what I remember, he was taking his body/interior and putting it over a GT4 frame. The frame was good, but the top was chopped off.
97sccelica
QUOTE (aaronc222 @ Aug 9, 2003 - 2:36 PM)
From what I remember, he was taking his body/interior and putting it over a GT4 frame. The frame was good, but the top was chopped off.

well, considering the GT4 he has is cut in half as well as the copped top, i doubt he will do that.

infact, im not sure you can do that on a unibody car
Chrobis
NO, just no... no AWD, the gt-4 is built for being a rally car and requires the AWD... How many of us go to rally's in our cars? AWD adds weight, slows down the car, decreases actual wheel horsepower and is just overall expensive and impratical. We would never be able to convert a USDM GT to a JDM GT-four. The Gt four has so much other stuff in it. Just stick with FWD and get some sticky ass tires!
SpedToe169
First of all, it is totally possible to weld parts of a car together and still be able to align it. All that laser welding is a bunch of ****, I've never even heard of anybody doing that. If I can make it work on a World-Challenge car, then it'll work on street cars too, you just have to know what you're doing. How do you think roll cages are welded? Its not by 'laser welding' its by good ol tungsten inert gas (TIG/GTAW) welding.

Second, AWD does have its advantages on the street. It really doesn't add all that much weight that cant be saved in other places. That being said, I don't think its probably worth it to try to convert a 6th gen. As somebody said, it would be easier and cheaper to make a FWD swap fast than it would be to try to do an AWD conversion.
phat94celi
Why do an AWD conversion when RWD is much more fun! biggrin.gif

And it will be.
97sccelica
QUOTE (phat94celi @ Aug 11, 2003 - 7:59 PM)

And it will be.

lol, why not get a 240 then?
NEVERSTOP
k - time to settle this debate...

Converting to AWD isnt worth it...period.

Trust me I know I did this conversion almost 2 years ago.

1st off.. you dont need the GT4 floor boards.. that is Jarco or toysport trying to sell more parts. Relocating the gastank and cutting out ur sparetire well will do the job just fine.

2nd... Im not sure if you can even do this in the 96-99 celicas, that depends on how the exhaust is ran.. the 94-95's are already tunneled for a driveshaft except the exhaust runs thought that area so you have to relocate it.

3rd... most of the rear axle will fit fine on the rear but you will need springs and struts for the GT4. we did have to do a couple of welds to fully support the rear end though and that is where we messed up.

when we welded the rear axle we where off on our measurements by just 2 to 3 degrees and what would happen is the rear end would try and steer the car to the right... which gets kinda scary at 100+ mph.

an alignment to counter this would help but only for about 1-2 weeks.. It just became too much of a hassle to keep up with it, so when I tore my car apart this last time I took the time to weigh my options and after about 6 months of debating which way to go.. and a nice offer for the rearend parts, I decided to scrap the awd and just return to FWD.

Point is.. YES IT CAN BE DONE... but is it worth it? I dont really think so but if you could have a shop do it and make sure everything is dead one then yea go for it.

BTW as for using a 5th gen alltrac rearend.. I would believe this would work just fine.. have been told that the rear axle is almost identical to the 6th gen one the only problem I could think off that you would run into is the drive shaft not being the right length but a good transmission or machine shop would be able to make a new driveshaft for 100-200 range.
phat94celi
QUOTE (97sccelica @ Aug 12, 2003 - 2:10 AM)
QUOTE (phat94celi @ Aug 11, 2003 - 7:59 PM)

And it will be.

lol, why not get a 240 then?

Because a 6th gen Celi looks 10x's better than a 240 IMHO.

Neverstop--Have you ever posted any pics of your car when it had the AWD conversion? Do you have any?
97sccelica
my 97 has the well for the drive shaft.

and my exhaust is in it too.
Matthew
QUOTE (NEVERSTOP @ Aug 12, 2003 - 10:53 AM)
when we welded the rear axle we where off on our measurements by just 2 to 3 degrees and what would happen is the rear end would try and steer the car to the right... which gets kinda scary at 100+ mph.

off two or three degrees???

do you mean inches, centimeters? what?

also I am doing this as well

its a lot harder than people say how hard it is on here

from a lot of people that i have talked to (Mike, E.L. Prototypes, etc.) they all say (and i agree) that you cant use 5th gen parts. you MUST use the floor from a ST205 because like everyone says the align must be right on. The reason that the ST205 floor works is because all the mounting points for the rear end and driveshaft are already there.

97sccelica
QUOTE (GT2GT4 @ Aug 15, 2003 - 6:54 PM)
QUOTE (NEVERSTOP @ Aug 12, 2003 - 10:53 AM)

off two or three degrees???

do you mean inches, centimeters? what?

also I am doing this as well

its a lot harder than people say how hard it is on here

from a lot of people that i have talked to (Mike, E.L. Prototypes, etc.) they all say (and i agree) that you cant use 5th gen parts. you MUST use the floor from a ST205 because like everyone says the align must be right on. The reason that the ST205 floor works is because all the mounting points for the rear end and driveshaft are already there.

the rear differential is all that is interchangeable between the 5th gen and 6th gen.

other then that, you wont be able to use 5th gen parts.

the floor pan is a must because of what gt2gt4 said, it has the diff. mounting points.

its a lot of work and should not be taken lightly. any one that is mechanically inclined could do it, but you would need the tools, the time, and the money.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.