Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Manual KOYO into Auto Mod Done!!!!
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
DeW_H0e_GT
im gonna be tackling this mod in the weekend......got the radiator & the tranny cooler...any things i should be looking out for?.....i know i need new hoses n clamps, ive ordered a thermostat too. any other parts u guys/girls recommend? which hose on the transmission is the return line & pressure?

ps - did koyo changed their logo? mines look different, but teh part #s teh same...heres where i bought it from:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=300139759836

in the ebay link thats teh new version logo, and teh one on mines is totally different...it says: KOYORAD "boxes"

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
DeW_H0e_GT
ive just confirmed that logo on my radiator is the newest 2007 logo chnage...*whew*

any1 kno the siz eof the auto transmission hose diameter?...3/8"???
LewFX
looking forwards to seeing this mod, looking to do similar.
Harold_Fastwaker
QUOTE(DeW_H0e_GT @ Aug 28, 2007 - 5:18 PM) [snapback]591621[/snapback]

IPB Image

What are the 2 threaded holes on the bottom right? Are they linked to the rest of the cooler or are they a separate cooling area. (Check the manual for that one) They could be used for the trans cooler.

The Trans cooler hoses I think are 1/2 ID but I am not sure. You will need to check what they are once you take them off your car or check with toyota.

Now, I am guessing your trans cooler is threaded input output. You will need to get 2 90* brass fittings from home depot/lowes, or you can use Earls fittings. Brass will be cheaper by a long shot.

2 of these but 90* or 45* bends

IPB Image

then you will slip the hydraulic hose over the nipple side and clamp it down. Make sure you take the trans cooler with you so you have the proper threads matched up. Dont forget to use Teflon tape on them as well.
DeW_H0e_GT
thanks for the info, ill tackle it tomorrow...

the 2 bottom holes you're talking about is:

1. A threaded hole for a sensor (not sure what but ill find out tomorrow.....)
2. outlet for the radiator hose
97Celica
What is the main benefit to upgrading to a Koyo radiator?
DeW_H0e_GT
QUOTE(97Celica @ Aug 31, 2007 - 6:48 AM) [snapback]592362[/snapback]

What is the main benefit to upgrading to a Koyo radiator?

theres been many mixed sayin when it coems to this mod, but personally after installin this i felt quiicker throttle response, and about 30% cooling capability..... wink.gif

BEFORE:

IPB Image

AFTER:
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

i jus did a little how-to but i accidently closed the browser... mad.gif ill make anotehr one tomorrow when i wake up.....
6strngs
is your temp gauge actually lower at operating temperature? cause mine wasn't. I didn't feel anything different with mine kindasad.gif
trdcelica94
whats that white cover thing called?
94celicadude
Nice menthols! lol laugh.gif
looks good. How much did this cost you?
DeW_H0e_GT
QUOTE(6strngs @ Sep 4, 2007 - 3:36 PM) [snapback]593291[/snapback]

is your temp gauge actually lower at operating temperature? cause mine wasn't. I didn't feel anything different with mine kindasad.gif

yea mine did....

QUOTE(trdcelica94 @ Sep 4, 2007 - 5:04 PM) [snapback]593308[/snapback]

whats that white cover thing called?

a radiator cooling plate or as the jdm folks call it air diversion plate
DeW_H0e_GT
QUOTE(94celicadude @ Sep 4, 2007 - 5:20 PM) [snapback]593314[/snapback]

Nice menthols! lol laugh.gif
looks good. How much did this cost you?

well, u kno..gotta have the menthols in between breaks.....i should quit tho biggrin.gif

all the parts came up to :
koyo radiator $335
transmission cooler $70
fittings n teflon tape $11
radiator hoses n clamps $24
2 gallon of coolant $18
tranny fluid $5 (i didnt change out the auto tranny fluid which i think i should)
thermostat $7
stant radiator cap $8
3/8" transmission hoses $4

u do the math.... biggrin.gif
94celicadude
Thanks man. Looks great tho.
13loody
QUOTE(DeW_H0e_GT @ Sep 4, 2007 - 11:14 PM) [snapback]593337[/snapback]

well, u kno..gotta have the menthols in between breaks.....i should quit tho biggrin.gif

all the parts came up to :
koyo radiator $335
transmission cooler $70
fittings n teflon tape $11
radiator hoses n clamps $24
2 gallon of coolant $18
tranny fluid $5 (i didnt change out the auto tranny fluid which i think i should)
thermostat $7
stant radiator cap $8
3/8" transmission hoses $4

u do the math.... biggrin.gif

Total = $482 tongue.gif
njccmd2002
i noticed there is another radiator for the ac. Has anybody changed this?
DeW_H0e_GT
QUOTE(njccmd2002 @ Sep 6, 2007 - 7:11 PM) [snapback]594030[/snapback]

i noticed there is another radiator for the ac. Has anybody changed this?

u must mean the ac condenser...i dont have a clue how to install one...maybe check out the chiltons manual... wink.gif
LewFX
you forgot to add pack of smokes to your list and wheres the how to?
94veilsidecelica
this may be a stupid question but i havent looked yet....to replace the radiator in a 94 gt m/t does it drop down or pull up and out?
6strngs
QUOTE(94veilsidecelica @ Sep 7, 2007 - 8:13 AM) [snapback]594193[/snapback]

this may be a stupid question but i havent looked yet....to replace the radiator in a 94 gt m/t does it drop down or pull up and out?

you have to pull up and out because of the way the mounts are on the bottom.
Harold_Fastwaker
Looks good bro. Where did you end up mounting the trans cooler at?
DeW_H0e_GT
okay, after days of busy painting the c-one, working on weird shifts, i finally got time to do this MINI how-to.

NOTE: this how-to is just a reference for an AUTOMATIC 5SFE, i dont take account on yoru mistakes. that means, if you

messed up im not the one responsible for anything.

With that said, we can start. Pics are coming soon. ALSO, please read thru teh how-to BEFORE doing this mod.

TIME doing this mod for me - 2.5 hours with breaks in between, MENTHOL cigarettes optional...smile.gif

TOOLS and PARTS needed:
-obviously a KOYO radiator, from what the seller says - teh 2007 koyos comes with bigger cores
-transmission cooler of your choice
-new radiator cap, u can get either the KOYO radiator cap @ ebay OR get a STANT part # 11227. the stock cap doesnt fit.
-new radiator hoses and worm clamps for radiator hoses and transmission hoses(mines looks ok, but it leaked after this mod. so gettin new hoses is a must!!!)
-2 ft 3/8" transmission hoses
-transmission cooler mounting kit (optional)
-fittings (2) for your transmission cooler. my cooler has a 1/2" female npt, so ive used a 1/2' male npt to a 90 degrees 3/8" hose nipple
-teflon tape
-1 quart auto transmission fluid (more if u prefer to change your tranny fluid during this mod, auto 5sfe has a capacity of 3.5 quarts according to VALVOLINE)
-2 gallons collant (i prefer PRESTONE 50/50)
-new thermostat & water outlet gasket (recommended option, i didnt hcnaged mines even though i should)
-12mm socket, 10mm socket, socket wrench, adjustable wrench, alligator pliers
-jack and jack stands (2)
-bucket to catch coolant & tranny fluid

MAKE SURE the engine is cool and touchable to the hand before doing anything. Cars with cruise control might be a little

different than what i did on this mod.

1. Jack up the car on jack stands

2. now take out undercar plastics, mines dont have any. most of the bolts are 10mm.

3. empty out old collant via a drain cock on lower right side of the radiator.

4. take out the lower radiator hose and unplug the coolant sensor from its harness and remove it with your adjustable wrench next to the drain cock (not sure if its a coolant sensor, some1 please confirm this), heres also yoru chance to change out the thermostat. take out yoru oil filter, and unscrew 2 of the bolts holding the water outlet. now jus pop the the thermostat out and change it out. re-install teh water outlet back in along with a water outlet gasket.

5. unplug 2 of the transmission hoses, those hoses are HARD to get off so i ended up cutting them. make sure u grab the bucket to catch some of the auto tranny fluid.

6. unplug 2 of teh fan motors harnesses, one is located next to the relay cover, one is located next to the far end of the radiator.

7. unplug the overflow tank hose, this is your optional chance to take the overflow tank off and empty teh old coolant.

8. take out the upper radiator hose and unbolt the radiator supprt bracket bolts (2 - 12mm bolts)

9. now PULL up on teh radiator making sure u dont pull anything off you're not suppose to.

10. take out the fans with 10mm bolts and transfer it to teh new and SEXY Koyo radiator. mount teh sensor back in the new radiator with teflon tape. screw the drain cock tight by hand, i forgot about this step and had some leak causing smoke.

11. nows your chance to mount the transmission cooler. before mounting teh cooler on your car, i recommend welding the cooler on your frame with enough space for the transmission hose to route thru teh undercarriage. i ended up using jus zipties but that'll change soon. of course, u can always use the cooler moutning kit they sell at your local auto parts store BUT teh way teh celica's condenser sits, it makes moutning the cooler very frustrating. Thats why i recommend welding it to the frame. You'll know what im talking about when you get to this step. I've mounted mines right on the middle of the condenser, i'll show u what i meant via pics coming soon.

12. install teh fittings with teflon tape, this step is very important~!!!!!!! Attach teh 3/8" hoses to teh cooler attaching teh clamps on. okay. heres teh hardest part of the mod. PULLING the hose off teh transmission. i found out a "ghetto" of taking those damn tight things off....i used a razor blade and cut the hose vertically in half while teh hose is on. now thats on, take a look on your hose routing. make sure that if u bottom out while driving, will it hit the hose.

13. ok, now you're ready to put the koyo in teh car. putting it back in requries some skill. some cars require u to install teh fans on teh radiator when your radiator is in the car due to space, mines was jus a drop in...while dropping in watch out for teh battery tray and teh left fan motor harness, they are a pain in the neck since you have a radiator in yoru hand. best to have a friend help u move the wires, harnesses out of the way.

14. install the coolant sensor harness. install teh lower radiator hose with worm clamps on both ends. (the oem clamps are a big nuisance to take off and on in place) plug the fan motors' harnesses, plug in the overflow tank (teh hose could be shorter on different cars, mines was just right) install the upper radiator hoses with worm clamps.

15. now that everything is on and tight. you're ready to pour on some coolant of yoru choice. ive put in some REDLINE water wetter along with 1.5 quarts of PRESTONE 50/50. its all on personal preference, u can jus put coolant on. okay, now put the radiator cap on. the OEM radiator cap is jus a tad smaller, so i got the STANT radiator cap and it fit snuggly on the koyo. also, make sure to fill yoru auto tranny fluid on the tranny dipstick. 1 quart should suffice.

16. Now you're done!!!!! turn on the car and let it idle for about 10 minutes with heater on HIGH, checking for leaks and runs on the engine bay AND undercarriage. Treat yourself to a menthol cigarettes for a job well-done. CHEERS!!!!

If there's any other things i have missed please let me know.
trdcelica94

whats is that called?

IPB Image
DeW_H0e_GT
its called a radiator cooling plate aka air diversion plate....
Defgeph
Nice job. smile.gif
trdcelica94
who makes them for our car?
DeW_H0e_GT
QUOTE(trdcelica94 @ Sep 10, 2007 - 3:48 PM) [snapback]594939[/snapback]

who makes them for our car?

OMG!!!....hey bro , use teh search button...its extra cool if u did.....i got mines from vincent_doggy but he dont sell them anymore....chances of gettin your hands on one right now is kinda low.....i think massbrandon has one for sale one time might wanna pm him about it......

OH WAIT!!!!....pm this guy..he's from italy...ask him about it - borghe or somthin liek that.....search for his username......

and again, plz use the search button next time.....i dont want my thread to be cluttered with useless and OFF-TOPIC coments...thanks in advance...GOOD LUCK finding one biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.