Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 5sfTe project
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
Pages: 1, 2
1bwilson
So since I really dont have a set 5sfte post just my "need a little help" post, I figured Id make one aswell.

What I have:

Built 5sfe:
CP pistons - In
3sgte rods - In
crank milled to fit the rods - In
PP'd head - In
Metal head gasket - In
ARP head studs - In

Turbo parts:
3s Manifold, Turbo, Oil lines, Coolent lines - In, In, In, In
DG custom IC piping - In
Ebay intercooler (cant remember the size) - In
Injectors 460cc - In
Walbro fuel pump - In
Greddy Type S bov - In
KO Racing DP - In
DG custom Mid pipe - In
SPark plugs gapped properly - In

Other stuff:
Oil filter - Done
Batt relocated to trunk - In
Devils own WI kit - In
Turbo xs manual boost controller - In
Emanage ultimate - here, waiting on the harness.
Boost gauge - In
EGT Gauge - In
AEM UEGO - In

Im rather suprized I havent had any major set backs yet (knock on wood!). Ive taken my time and set a daily goal up for myself and tried to stick with it. Even when I got ahead I cleaned up and planned the next day out. This way Ive been 80% ahead of myself on ordering small things like nuts and bolts that I missed or didnt have from used parts. Would be 100% but some how the tech's at my local toyota cant order the correct part even if I give them the part #'s.
Harold_Fastwaker
QUOTE(1bwilson @ Sep 14, 2007 - 12:02 AM) [snapback]595911[/snapback]

This still needed:
Gauges (Boost, EGT, oil pressure) Havent found a good place online to order.
Wideband O2 (Thinking the AEM one)
Something to tune with (SAFC 2, Neo, Emanage) Suggestions?

Awesome bro. thumbsup.gif

I say: Defi Guages smile.gif
Power FC biggrin.gif
No preference on Wideband
qatar11
Well Done Mate, Photos?
jcaron9gt4
seems like your very organized with this. Very nice man. give us some pics !!!!
1bwilson
I was really considering Defi gauges but Im not sure if I could stomach spending $200 a gauge. From past reads about autometer gauges Ive seen people say their not the greatest quality and sometimes read incorrectly.

Im almost done so its a bit late for pictures now. Ill try and take a few tomorrow (I havent used my digi camera in ages hopefully it works). A nice rain slowed me down a good deal today. I managed to get the exhaust finished and the stock O2 in place (third time was a charm getting the correct nuts from toyota). Tomorrow Ill have to extend the O2 wire so that I can plug it in, get my alt back in place and the new belt on so that I can be 100% sure when I run my oil relocater, the lines are out of the way. Id have finished that up but some how toyota cant figure out what bolt I need. Ill be visiting them for the 5th time this week (Been there tuesday-today already) and hopefully they will have the correct one. I love spending 3$ in gas to get a 97 cent bolt thats not the right one.
celicast3sgte
QUOTE(Harold_Fastwaker @ Sep 13, 2007 - 11:37 PM) [snapback]595935[/snapback]

QUOTE(1bwilson @ Sep 14, 2007 - 12:02 AM) [snapback]595911[/snapback]

This still needed:
Gauges (Boost, EGT, oil pressure) Havent found a good place online to order.
Wideband O2 (Thinking the AEM one)
Something to tune with (SAFC 2, Neo, Emanage) Suggestions?

Awesome bro. thumbsup.gif

I say: Defi Guages smile.gif
Power FC biggrin.gif
No preference on Wideband

lol why those parts? cause they cost the most??? lol jk

if you get gauges try to keep them the same brand. greddy and defi and hks are just over rated for the average joe.

and i would say get the emanage. i love that thing
Harold_Fastwaker
QUOTE(celicast3sgte @ Sep 15, 2007 - 1:54 PM) [snapback]596280[/snapback]

lol why those parts? cause they cost the most??? lol jk

if you get gauges try to keep them the same brand. greddy and defi and hks are just over rated for the average joe.

and i would say get the emanage. i love that thing

A bit overpriced yes. But they are widely trusted amongst the Rx7 community. wink.gif Plus the Defi guages blend in well with the stock dash and dont give you that multicolored rave show.
1bwilson
Hehe, its always easier spending someone elses cash. My gauge cluster is silver anyways so defi would just look odd in there.
CaliJeff
what type of gauge pod do u have ? and where are you going to mount it? i got the dcw single & triple.
1bwilson
I have had a lotek A piller ever since we had them designed for the celica's. Actually I have 2 because we were short a few on the min for the GB.

Id LOVE to get ahold of a DWC shifter gauge pod with the 2 pods there but I dont think Doggy made anymore then the prototype.

Since im here Ill add a small update. By the end of the day tomorrow Ill be pretty much set. The only things really left are mounting the oil filter relocater (just cant find a spot I like), Injectors (At witchhunter.com now), Gauges (Still undecided on which ones I want), Wideband (Undecided) and something to tune the car with (In the air between Emanage and Apexi Neo). Oh and installing the WI kit. Pretty much all of the actual hands on work is done. Its all just time consuming BS and waiting for the snail mail to arrive. I wont be doing the tuning or installing of the "Tuning cpu" (whichever I decide on) just because Id much rather someone who knows what their doing tune it. Hopefully Ill have everything fully installed and tuned/running withing the next few weeks Sinc ethe basics are all done Ill try and snap some pictures tomorrow. Just a heads up, the car has been sitting (Maintained and driven here and there but by no means cleaned) in 3 years or so, so please look away from any dust and grime. kindasad.gif
CaliJeff
kk lol
1bwilson
So I stole my oil filter relocater location from Itchy, well kinda, mine runs the other direction then his but mounted in about the same spot. The filter sits about 1/2 inch from the PS fluid but I can just slip that off each time I need to change the oil filter. Also its aimed slightly down so oil will drain out of the filter first and there should be little to no mess. ALso got my injectors in from Witch hunter and they did a great job, 2 of the injectors were only flowing 424/426 cc's with a good/fair rating the other 2 were in decent condition. After the cleaning all 4 injectors hit 458-460 cc'c and hold a Good rating across the board. All for a mear $68. Great deal imo if you can find a set of injectors for a steal. I installed the injectors tonight and I was suprized it only took about 30 minutes to swap them. The first time I did them I actually took off the wireing harness and intake manifold but figured I didnt really have to. Tonight I just poped off the 30mm valve cover nuts and tapped the head off with a soft mallet. While I had it off I gave the vc a nice paint job also.

In reality Im done and could start the car, all the basics are on now and everything should be fine at idle. I still dont have gauges (prosport's are in route), Wideband (Ordering a UEGO tomorrow) and SOMETHING to tune with. I feel like I could get away with a AFC NEO but Im leaning to a Emanage just because of the room to grow with it. Oh and I have the WI kit here and Ill start looking at mounting/installing that tomorrow to keep me busy.

P.S. Its been so long since Ive used my Digi cam that there actually isnt a cord that I can buy to connect to the computer, Ill have to grab my rents spare one for pictures.
1bwilson
Just ordered the Wideband and a few couplings I think will be a better fit then the ones I have already. Only thing left is to get something to tune the fuel with. I'm 90% sure Ill be using a emanage, just have to find a good deal and order it really. Ill also be looking around for a trust worthy shop to install it and tune the car once its up and running. smile.gif
x_itchy_b_x
I want to see some pics! its been a while since you underwent this project,
glad to see its almost completed. PICS! biggrin.gif
1bwilson
Okay, so the camera im used to using is out of town with my parents due to a death in the faimly. I used a different camera that had zero battery left. I managed to snap 4 shots before it totally died. Hopefully Ill be able to post these, once the batt charges Ill post a bunch more.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Woot, it worked. I started with a different hot side IC pipe settup, DG welded up a very nice pipe for me a while back and I planned on using that. Sadly when I got the 2nd exhaust manifold w/ a EGT bung the IC piping was EXACTLY over the bung and way to close to make the pipe work. Thankfully I had a bunch of U bends sitting around. I have a few couplings still on their way. Ill post more pictures of the Batt relocation and anything else anyone wants to see once the camera is charged.
x_itchy_b_x
Nice, looks clean with the heat shield and valve cover black. projectors, glorious.
presure2
bryan read my post in supershannons car thread about the intake setup and hose routing.
the way it is now, you will be smoking like crazy.
other than that, looks good!
1bwilson
I saw that Manny, the line is still there from when it was running NA actually. I never even thought about it until I saw your post. Ill have to get some kind of intake rigged up still. I actually used my "Soon to be intake" as the 2nd part of that new IC pipe lol. I plan on running it off the turbo and 45' down below where the batt tray was. Ill have to find someone to weld a small flange on there to run the hose there. My old injen might fit and has the flange, Ill have to look at it closer.
6strngs
*sigh* all these 5sfte threads makes me miss mine even more...

anyway, nice job and goold luck with it. that IC piping looks very professional.
1bwilson
QUOTE(6strngs @ Oct 1, 2007 - 2:44 PM) [snapback]600569[/snapback]

*sigh* all these 5sfte threads makes me miss mine even more...

anyway, nice job and goold luck with it. that IC piping looks very professional.

With any luck your dreams will live in the exhaust manifold im using! biggrin.gif
1bwilson
I should get all the gauges finished up tomorrow along with my final few couplings in the mail. Once thats all done all thats left is something to tune the fuel out a bit and tuning/dyno time. Anyone know how hot the first intake pipe comming out of the turbo can get? As you can see both my stock o2 and wideband o2 are VERY close (wideband actually rubs against it) the pipe. Im not sure if the pipe is going to get to hot for them and possible melt the wires. Once I have the couplings Ill know for sure actually how close they will be and possible re-adjust the piping again. Ill also snap a few shots of everything cleaned up along with the batt relocation and the badass RCR rear 3 point strut bar I got from Jeff wink.gif
6strngs
the first intake pipe coming off the turbo gets extremely hot! I wouldn't want to touch it after the car were running for a few minutes. I'm pretty sure it could get hot enough to melt rubber insulation off of wiring.
1bwilson
Ok heres a bunch more pictures I took today. Didnt get the couplings I was hoping for (Snail mail is running wayyy late. If I dont get them tomorrow Im going to start calling about them).

Got the IC piping off while I run some of the gauge lines and senders.
IPB Image

Stock O2 and UEGO WIdeband on the KO downpipe.
IPB Image

You can see exactly how tight of a fit the KO downpipe is to the earls relocater.
IPB Image

EGT hole cut into the heat shield for the bung and sender... I guess you could say thats the bung hole in the heat shield laugh.gif
IPB Image

Hole in the fire wall with a nice grommet for all the gauge wires.
IPB Image

My mess that will soon be the gauge settup behind the Lotek 3 piller pod.
IPB Image

Few shots of my DG midpipe.
IPB Image
IPB Image

And now the Batt relocation and RCR strut bar smile.gif. Starts here along with a slight cruise control relocation.
IPB Image

Running under the car.
IPB Image

Into the trunk and threw the carpet.
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Still enough room for a set of golf clubs to fit in the back!
presure2
lookin good bro!
lagos
i dont know how safe it is to run your battery wiring under the car like that. its going to get exposed to rain, snow, rocks, etc...
1bwilson
Im not intending on driving the car in the rain or snow and theres even the option in playing in rocks Ill be driving my jeep already. Ive had the car for 8 years now and put less then 10k miles on it. Its only going to be driven under the best conditions. I am a bit concerned about the very back of the cables though where the dip just a bit lower then the rest, there might be a chance for them to rub speed bumps, but Ill be making sure its tucked up nicely before I start driving the car. Im not happy with the power cable and will be geting a slightly lesser gauge in the next few days. The one Im using is just to thick and doesnt want to work well with others.
6strngs
I suppose we don't have this problem since our ECU is on the other side of the car, but my automotive teacher was talking about how some people will run the cables for their stereo too close to the ECU and the electromagnatic waves would interfere with the computer in the ECU and cause things to go haywire so people would say that their cars ran fine until the turned up the volume on the stereo and then the car would die. So what my teacher recommended was to run the wires under the car. but he also suggested to sheild them with something.
1bwilson
Turned it over for a bit tonight to prime the motor. Everythings getting oil but the turbo. The cold night settled in and I gave up due to exhaustion. Im off tomorrow so along with grabbing a air filter Ill be sure to get it running.... hopefully. Good news is nothing smelled like it was burning (Wires) and I was getting plenty of fuel so I know I installed the walbro correctly and the injectors sat right when I put them in.
6strngs
are you using stock exhaust?
1bwilson
Greddy SP, DG mid pipe and a KO downpipe, all 2.5 inches
6strngs
QUOTE(1bwilson @ Oct 11, 2007 - 7:06 PM) [snapback]604136[/snapback]

Greddy SP, DG mid pipe and a KO downpipe, all 2.5 inches

you should get a test pipe for that cat. you'll be running pretty rich and it'll probably clog up over time. plus you'll get a couple extra horsepower smile.gif
1bwilson
Oh that little thing?...... I wouldnt worrie about that little thing wink.gif
1bwilson
So im not getting oil flow. My relocater is getting oil to the filter, the cams are not getting oil, the sender unit is not getting oil, the turbo is not getting oil. Since some oil is flowing Im going to hope that means the pump is working and that something is just not flowing properly.

First thought is the earls filter, Ill get this noob question out of the way, could I have the lines mixed up with the relocater to be getting the wrong flow? I assumed it didnt matter but then again its something so easy to do I didnt put any thought into the actual lines besides keeping them run safely.
presure2
QUOTE(1bwilson @ Oct 12, 2007 - 6:31 PM) [snapback]604461[/snapback]

So im not getting oil flow. My relocater is getting oil to the filter, the cams are not getting oil, the sender unit is not getting oil, the turbo is not getting oil. Since some oil is flowing Im going to hope that means the pump is working and that something is just not flowing properly.

First thought is the earls filter, Ill get this noob question out of the way, could I have the lines mixed up with the relocater to be getting the wrong flow? I assumed it didnt matter but then again its something so easy to do I didnt put any thought into the actual lines besides keeping them run safely.

YES!
they are one way. there is an "in and out" marked on the filter part of the relocation thingy.
if your not getting flow, reverse the line.
wink.gif
6strngs
QUOTE(presure2 @ Oct 12, 2007 - 5:12 PM) [snapback]604481[/snapback]

QUOTE(1bwilson @ Oct 12, 2007 - 6:31 PM) [snapback]604461[/snapback]

YES!
they are one way. there is an "in and out" marked on the filter part of the relocation thingy.
if your not getting flow, reverse the line.
wink.gif

for sure. I know there is an "in" and "out" marked on the filter side, but there isn't on the engine side adaptor. I remember when I was putting mine together I had to stop what I was doing and come here on the internet to look for pictures of which line went where in the block adaptor like 4 or 5 times because I kept forgetting and I wanted to make sure I got it right... I would tell you which goes where but I can't remember again rolleyes.gif
1bwilson
I knew it was something that easy, thank god it wasn't the oil pump. Might have had to take another 2 years off if I had to replace that tongue.gif. Ill have to swap the lines tomorrow after work. Thanks guys. I knew you would have the perspective I didnt have at the time.
1bwilson
Ok so the oil lines were swapped, oil is flowing freely now. Got everything all tightned up and the car started. Idle is "okay" but anything more then that smokes like a mofo and the car almost cuts off trying to return to idle. I dont think its driveable at all atm but I also dont have anything taking fuel out. This is the point where Im about in the dark. I knew I had the install almost down pat but tuning is another thing all together. Is this about how I should expect it to act before a neo/emanage running the fuel? I gotta fiddle with the EGT because its not reading anything but the AF is pegged at 10, Im sure thats not good considering its blinking while reading 10 tongue.gif, Im fairly sure this is due to all the fuel being dumped in at idle. Any words of adivce would be very helpful.
presure2
QUOTE(1bwilson @ Oct 13, 2007 - 4:48 PM) [snapback]604639[/snapback]

Ok so the oil lines were swapped, oil is flowing freely now. Got everything all tightned up and the car started. Idle is "okay" but anything more then that smokes like a mofo and the car almost cuts off trying to return to idle. I dont think its driveable at all atm but I also dont have anything taking fuel out. This is the point where Im about in the dark. I knew I had the install almost down pat but tuning is another thing all together. Is this about how I should expect it to act before a neo/emanage running the fuel? I gotta fiddle with the EGT because its not reading anything but the AF is pegged at 10, Im sure thats not good considering its blinking while reading 10 tongue.gif, Im fairly sure this is due to all the fuel being dumped in at idle. Any words of adivce would be very helpful.

you need to pull ~15% or more fuel at idle.
it WILL run like total crap otherwise.
if you have a fedral spec car, it will be even more pronounced.
im pulling ~-20% of my duty cycle out @ idle, plus -15% of my airflow to get ~14-15:1, with the EMU
1bwilson
Well then I guess its time to order something then hehe. Thanks so much Manny for the quick replys, helps a ton knowing I can ask a question and not wait 2-3 days for a good solid answer. Since I dont have much more to do to the car I guess Ill post some "Finished" pictures. Pics inc.
1bwilson
Ok heres a "few" more pics biggrin.gif

Gauges finished up, for the most part. EGT isnt reading tempiture atm.
IPB Image
IPB Image

Oil filter relocater properly hooked up and flowing freely smile.gif
IPB Image

Bay shot
IPB Image

Front shot/hood up
IPB Image

Hood down
IPB Image

Side shot if the intercooler. I selected to mount the IC directly below my support and therefore forced me to "fit" the bumper on around the IC and piping. I did this because when I ordered the IC I shipped it to DG for piping welding and it was the easiest way to be sure everything would line up fine. He was using a after market bumper while I had the 94-95.
IPB Image

Shots showing exactly how tight if a fit I had to deal with on the IC piping and stock O2+Wideband.
IPB Image
IPB Image

Money shot, k&n filter is due in monday afternoon.
IPB Image

And last a few shots of what happens to a CF hood when it sits for 6 years with little waxing. CF lovers please cover your eyes. frown.gif
IPB Image
IPB Image
presure2
QUOTE(1bwilson @ Oct 13, 2007 - 5:13 PM) [snapback]604643[/snapback]

Well then I guess its time to order something then hehe. Thanks so much Manny for the quick replys, helps a ton knowing I can ask a question and not wait 2-3 days for a good solid answer. Since I dont have much more to do to the car I guess Ill post some "Finished" pictures. Pics inc.

no problem man. funny thing, when i turboed, i used parts of YOUR post as a guide!
wink.gif
i hope you have SOME kind of head sheilding over those oil lines near the block.
smile.gif
1bwilson
Yeah, well talking and doing are 2 very different things wink.gif. Its easy to compile a parts list from several sites conpared to the actual act of installing the kit.

The heat shielding hasnt been done yet, Im either shielding the existing lines or replacing with SS lines. Just one of those things I keep outting off. I might have to get in there to tighten the canton fitting down more anyway. I think something might have a drip but considering the little bit of oil I spilled from the oil feed while priming (had to see the oil to be 100% sure it was flowing) it might just be left overs. If I have to go in after the fitting Ill just replace the lines while Im there.
cHinaman727
that looks clean! how much did you pay for everything? and you did all labor yourself?

very nice job!
Valo666
wow...i thought u had just a flatblack hood. Thats some pretty faded CF. But the install looks good. Very clean.
1bwilson
To be honest I couldnt possibly remember and add all the costs up. Id say Ive spend very close to 3k in turbo parts + another 3k in the motor build/rebuild. Looking back now Id say a very reliable kit could be built with right around 2k for everything pre-tuning. I have done all work on my car minus the tranny swap back in 00 (was a auto) and the motor rebuild in 04.

The hood is beautiful when I wet it still. Its been threw alot, it was the first (first member on this site at least) CF hood for the 6th gen installed over 6 years ago. The milky look is from the clear coat/gel coat. Im working on how to fix it. So far restoring it has been a bit of a challange.

Just a shot of the hood in its better years tongue.gif
IPB Image
1bwilson
Okay were up and running. With the blessing of Manny I went back to the 315's for a little while. Running the 460's I was just to rich and wanted to get some drive time in before the 460's and programer went in. Im not boosting anything then a slight tap on the gas for a max of 20-30 yards. I just want to be sure everything is in running order before I make a app with a shop for tuning and dyno time. I also have some old gas I have to burn threw before then. I can feel the turbo spool up and want to pull HARD even at stock boost. I cant wait to get everything in and turn the boost up more and see how hard it pulls.
x_itchy_b_x
awesome to hear!
1bwilson
I can swap a 5sfe head, build and install a turbo kit, relocate my battery and find a way to fit just about anything I need with the right tools.
BUT somehow I cant remember to tighten the k&n air filter and I ran the stupid thing over! hehe
frosty
QUOTE(1bwilson @ Oct 14, 2007 - 8:29 PM) [snapback]604843[/snapback]

The hood is beautiful when I wet it still. Its been threw alot, it was the first (first member on this site at least) CF hood for the 6th gen installed over 6 years ago. The milky look is from the clear coat/gel coat. Im working on how to fix it. So far restoring it has been a bit of a challange.

Just a shot of the hood in its better years tongue.gif
IPB Image

The best way to fix it is to wet sand it then a mild buff till it looks even in CC. then do a once over vith a scuff pad and clear coat it. Another mild wet sand/buffing, wax and enjoy. Wouldn't take long to do, just have to wait for the clear to dry.

Mines looking the same, I wasn't a good care-taker of mine either... kindasad.gif

Nice job on the turbo project. This has really been making me rethink using a fe head instead of the ge head swap.

Awesome job, can't wait to see the #'s biggrin.gif
1bwilson
Thanks for the CF insite frosty, I still have my stock hood and a friend whos decent with clear coat so Ill have to start sanding it down.

Im hoping to find just where the FE head gives in, from there Ill let batman set the bar for how well the FE head can be modded for better flow and then I may consider a full standalone and GE head swap.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.