Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2008 Calendar Submissions
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
playr158
I'm going to start collecting photos for calendar consideration.

HOW TO SUBMIT

a) DEAD LINE TO SUBMIT- OCT 19th by midnight (anything after will be auto deleted)

b) EMAIL THEM TO districtymotorsports@gmail.com

c) HIGH RESOLUTION PHOTOS ONLY

I'll then have a photo voting thread up for top 12 votes
which will close no later than 10/31/07 mid night and will go to production

A "style" voting thread will come up with in the next 1-1.5 weeks

(to get this started, if someone else wants to step up and do it then let me know and pm coomer)
97lestyousay
I'm confused this is the 6gc.net calendar? Coomer is having you do it?
confused.gif
malpaso
I'm glad there is happening some action according to my post smile.gif, however IMHO would not Christian Coomer approve this? I mean have you asked owner of this site?
playr158
don't get up in a bunch i'm just starting to get the pictures together.
I've sent coomer a PM about it. If he decides to put it together and/or have someone else do it, they will get the package of pictures. this is just to get a start on it.
manphibian
Needs someone to start it off or it won't happen again thumbsup.gif
BloodyStupidDavey
QUOTE(malpaso @ Sep 24, 2007 - 7:36 PM) [snapback]598666[/snapback]

I'm glad there is happening some action according to my post smile.gif, however IMHO would not Christian Coomer approve this? I mean have you asked owner of this site?

My take is that getting the 6gc logo on the calendar is just a branding issue. The calendar photos can be chosen, artwork drawn up, printer found and job costed with a placeholder logo instead of the official 6gc logo, then the official 6gc logo swapped in at the last moment.

The main jobs are (I would have thought)
* getting enough submissions such that there are at least 13 really high resolution photos short-listed
* sorting through the photos, deciding which to use for each month
* soring out copyright issues
* finding a printer and having at least one back-up printer in case first choice pulls out
* logistics and payment, cash flow

Sounds like quite a lot of work to me. Of course, coomer has to be approached and we will need his agreement, plus a high-resolution version of the 6gc logo. But other things can be done in parallel.
97lestyousay
I wait to see coomers approval before sending any pics. If it isn't going to be a 6gc.net calendar
it probably needs to be discussed in off topic.
playr158
if you don't like it there is a handy report this post feature on your left hand side..

at least the UK guys get the concept!
in the mean time i'll be waiting for a PM back from chris and the rest can do as they will
jason
wow what a dick... but yea... i think someone needs to get the ball rolling for this.. coomer seems to be a bit busy, and if he cant seem to get a calendar together, then i give props to whoever can.
x_itchy_b_x
we the site users have the power tongue.gif
I'm sure Coomer wont mind at all.

glad someone is taking the initiative here. thumbsup.gif
BloodyStupidDavey
QUOTE(playr158 @ Sep 24, 2007 - 7:40 PM) [snapback]598667[/snapback]

i'm just starting to get the pictures together... this is just to get a start on it.

QUOTE(Rayme @ Sep 24, 2007 - 7:27 PM) [snapback]598663[/snapback]

I still have all the high res , photoshoped, pictures, ready for insertion from last year's calendar winning pictures (that never made it).

Perhaps we should use the winning ones for the 2007 calendar, and keep the new submissions for the 2009 calendar? Perhaps a pole post to decide whether to accept new submissions or just use the 2007 winners?
playr158
QUOTE(BloodyStupidDavey @ Sep 24, 2007 - 5:35 PM) [snapback]598724[/snapback]

i'm just starting to get the pictures together... this is just to get a start on it.

I still have all the high res , photoshoped, pictures, ready for insertion from last year's calendar winning pictures (that never made it).

Perhaps we should use the winning ones for the 2007 calendar, and keep the new submissions for the 2009 calendar? Perhaps a pole post to decide whether to accept new submissions or just use the 2007 winners?

not too bad of an idea, although part of the essence of the calendar is to represent the year that just passed.

would taking 6 of 2006's final 12 and 6 new ones?
purplegt4
QUOTE(BloodyStupidDavey @ Sep 24, 2007 - 2:44 PM) [snapback]598671[/snapback]

plus a high-resolution version of the 6gc logo.

vector image
j0e_p3t
time to take some pics. looks like i'ma have a calendar next year. this year seemed so empty.
jcaron9gt4
email sent smile.gif
malpaso
QUOTE(playr158 @ Sep 24, 2007 - 8:40 PM) [snapback]598667[/snapback]

I've sent coomer a PM about it. If he decides to put it together and/or have someone else do it, they will get the package of pictures. this is just to get a start on it.

Fine, fine I just respect some authority here wink.gif

note: still have question wink.gif what is "hi-res picture" for you? The same rules like here? (Photos must be high-quality, scenic, and at least 1024x768 pixels)
Insanity-74
Good Idea to get the ball rolling. Expect some pictures to be heading your way soon.
manphibian
QUOTE(malpaso @ Sep 25, 2007 - 6:36 AM) [snapback]598850[/snapback]

QUOTE(playr158 @ Sep 24, 2007 - 8:40 PM) [snapback]598667[/snapback]

Fine, fine I just respect some authority here wink.gif

note: still have question wink.gif what is "hi-res picture" for you? The same rules like here? (Photos must be high-quality, scenic, and at least 1024x768 pixels)

1024x768 is not high res enough to look professional IMO
Insanity-74
An 8MP camera will deliver a picture size ITRO 3260 X 2440 pixels (about 2.5 - 3mb file size). obviously the less pixels the camera, the smaller the picture can be, it wants to be as big as you camera can take, if your camera is only 2MP then it will struggle to produce an image that big without looking poo.... so just make it as large as you can with the camera you have.

It also depends upon how big the calender is going to be????

Increasing image size in photoshop will also dramatically reduce image quality.
Rayme
QUOTE(Insanity-74 @ Sep 25, 2007 - 6:22 AM) [snapback]598875[/snapback]
An 8MP camera will deliver a picture size ITRO 3260 X 2440 pixels (about 2.5 - 3mb file size). obviously the less pixels the camera, the smaller the picture can be, it wants to be as big as you camera can take, if your camera is only 2MP then it will struggle to produce an image that big without looking poo.... so just make it as large as you can with the camera you have.

A 4 MP camera is more than enough to have a quality 8.5x11. 2200 x 1700 pixels is enough.

All picture need a little modification though. wink.gif
frosty
I never did buy any of the last years calenders, but I think I will this time around.

What's the expected cost of one? (or what was the previous cost of one?)
dustin15brown
Looks like I'm going to have to go ahead and pull the Celica outta hiding and snap some pics.... And I dont really like the idea of auto selecting last years winners for this year because as time passes tastes change.... We should use the most up to date taste with the most up to date pics. Most 4mp or 5mp pics should be perfectly adequate
97lestyousay
That leaves me out, all my pics are 3.3mp kindasad.gif
GriffGirl
QUOTE(Rayme @ Sep 25, 2007 - 4:00 AM) [snapback]598880[/snapback]

A 4 MP camera is more than enough to have a quality 8.5x11. 2200 x 1700 pixels is enough.

A 6 megapixel camera set at high quality will be sufficient; 4 MP should be set at the highest, it's not great for blowing up pictures too big. The point is here that the images MUST be 300dpi. If they're digital, then obviously they'll be 72 dpi, so the images need to be as large as possible in terms of dimension so that when the resolution is increased in photoshop, the physical dimensions can be reduced thus recovering image quality.

As for calendar size, 12" x 12" panels are standard. So you want the images to be high quality to fill that 12 x 12.
Rayme
QUOTE(GriffGirl @ Sep 25, 2007 - 7:50 PM) [snapback]599016[/snapback]
QUOTE(Rayme @ Sep 25, 2007 - 4:00 AM) [snapback]598880[/snapback]

A 6 megapixel camera set at high quality will be sufficient; 4 MP should be set at the highest, it's not great for blowing up pictures too big. The point is here that the images MUST be 300dpi. If they're digital, then obviously they'll be 72 dpi, so the images need to be as large as possible in terms of dimension so that when the resolution is increased in photoshop, the physical dimensions can be reduced thus recovering image quality.

As for calendar size, 12" x 12" panels are standard. So you want the images to be high quality to fill that 12 x 12.

I did last year's work on the pictures (but never got out) and the size needed was 8.5x11 bleeded, and 200 dpi is what was required (good enough imo).A 12x12 caldendar would cost significantly more I think.

97lestyousay : Your picture was fine wink.gif
BlackCelicaGT94
QUOTE(playr158 @ Sep 24, 2007 - 3:03 PM) [snapback]598731[/snapback]

QUOTE(BloodyStupidDavey @ Sep 24, 2007 - 5:35 PM) [snapback]598724[/snapback]

not too bad of an idea, although part of the essence of the calendar is to represent the year that just passed.

would taking 6 of 2006's final 12 and 6 new ones?

I really feel that two calendars should be offered. 1 with the pics of last years and 1 with the pics of this years. or with last years put two on one page for 6 months or something cuz I know that I really was stoked that my car had made it again and now that the celica may be out of my hands someday id really love to have another calendar since my car did make it in for last year
playr158
There will only be ONE calendar...the expense/difficulty of making two will be way too costly and time consuming

If you want to see anyone of the last year's photo winners i would HIGHLY suggest someone submit them VIA the instructions on the first post.
malpaso
Please don't flame me for return to resolution issue again... however I don't agree with opinion "high resolution is only 3072x2304 because I have 10Mpx camera". IMHO calendar is not about "only high-tech-top-ultra-best camera owners can send pics". Many people here can make beautiful pics with "normal" camera at "normal" resolution. I have good camera however I usually make pics like 1280x960 (95%), sometimes 1600x1200 (4%) and only special occasions 2288x1712 (1%). Higher is for nothing because I don't want to make posters...

so... can we give reasonable minimum picture resolution for all 6GC members?
BlackCelicaGT94
well my vote is that the pics from last year get used for this years calendar.

Theres no reason that those peoples photos should just be brushed aside when they were voted on by the public.
manphibian
QUOTE(malpaso @ Sep 26, 2007 - 7:36 AM) [snapback]599159[/snapback]

Please don't flame me for return to resolution issue again... however I don't agree with opinion "high resolution is only 3072x2304 because I have 10Mpx camera". IMHO calendar is not about "only high-tech-top-ultra-best camera owners can send pics". Many people here can make beautiful pics with "normal" camera at "normal" resolution. I have good camera however I usually make pics like 1280x960 (95%), sometimes 1600x1200 (4%) and only special occasions 2288x1712 (1%). Higher is for nothing because I don't want to make posters...

The bigger the image the better the quality when converted to 2-300 dpi for printing. I'd like it to look professional if i'm buying it.
creis
how about the people who's photos won for last year submit theres again, as this is an open forum the public changes and thus a new majority can result, last years pictures were great and I hope there up again to be voted on but keep in mind what won last year may not win this year. just the way it is. (my opinion)

<== will wait on final aproval before sending anything in but glad someone stepped up to get this going.
malpaso
QUOTE(manphibian @ Sep 26, 2007 - 12:05 PM) [snapback]599183[/snapback]

QUOTE(malpaso @ Sep 26, 2007 - 7:36 AM) [snapback]599159[/snapback]

The bigger the image the better the quality when converted to 2-300 dpi for printing. I'd like it to look professional if i'm buying it.

so we need to know how big that image we want after printing... here are some numbers (about):

200dpi 15x10 cm (6x4.5inch) print = 1200x900 image
300dpi 15x10 cm (6x4.5inch) print = 1800x1350 image
200dpi 20x15 cm (8x6inch) print = 1600x1200 image
300dpi 20x15 cm (8x6inch) print = 2400x1800 image
200dpi 25x20 cm (10x7.5inch) print = 2000x1500 image
300dpi 25x20 cm (10x7.5inch) print = 3000x2250 image
etc...

frosty
yep, still wanting to know what the cost was for the previous ones
mneal2_92788
any ideas on possible cost?
playr158
between $15-25 is the target area.
j0e_p3t
QUOTE(creis @ Sep 26, 2007 - 3:18 AM) [snapback]599186[/snapback]

how about the people who's photos won for last year submit theres again, as this is an open forum the public changes and thus a new majority can result, last years pictures were great and I hope there up again to be voted on but keep in mind what won last year may not win this year. just the way it is. (my opinion)

agreed. the winning pics last year were great. but the bar has been raised cuz i have seen some awesome pics this year too. so i say last year's pics should automatically be entered in the final decision poll, and if they win again then great.

and i can do 15-25 bucks. i'll even add a couple bucks to help chip in for the site like the last calendar.
punkuup5150
id be glad to help with any graphic work for the calender since my celi is still waiting for paint i wont be abel to make the deadline but id like to help as much as possible
frosty
QUOTE(j0e_p3t @ Sep 26, 2007 - 9:10 PM) [snapback]599336[/snapback]

QUOTE(creis @ Sep 26, 2007 - 3:18 AM) [snapback]599186[/snapback]

agreed. the winning pics last year were great. but the bar has been raised cuz i have seen some awesome pics this year too. so i say last year's pics should automatically be entered in the final decision poll, and if they win again then great.

and i can do 15-25 bucks. i'll even add a couple bucks to help chip in for the site like the last calendar.

To me it wouldn't matter that last years pics would be entered again since I haven't bought any of the previouse calenders, but I know that if I did, I wouldn't necessarily want to see the same pics as before, you know?

If it were the same car and a different (better) shot, then mabey, but not the same one. (progression)

my $0.02
GriffGirl
Coming from a professional standpoint (I'm a graphic designer now for 13 years) the images must be 300 dpi for print to look polished and professional. For an 8.5 x 11 print size with a full bleed, 3300x2550 is going to have the best results. Remember, the image has to be able to reach 1/8" past the edge of the document area for the bleed.

This doesn't exclude smaller images, mind you. Not all of the images need to be a full bleed - they can always be placed "widescreen" style, with a black matte top and bottom, etc. Also, if the TOTAL calendar size is 8.5 x 11, then is the art just going on the top half of the page? That means the images will be 8.5 x 5 (ish), allowing for the binding. That opens it up even more!
playr158
The calenders will be binded with the picture on the upper page
calendar on the lower page.
(pictures will be the back side of the actual calender page if that makes sense)

look like this
http://www.carriesbearhugs.com/calendar-im...dar-january.jpg

as an example picture is top page
GriffGirl
QUOTE(playr158 @ Sep 27, 2007 - 1:09 PM) [snapback]599649[/snapback]

The calenders will be binded with the picture on the upper page
calendar on the lower page.
(pictures will be the back side of the actual calender page if that makes sense)

look like this
http://www.carriesbearhugs.com/calendar-im...dar-january.jpg

as an example picture is top page

Dude that calendar example is SNOW gay! lol just kidding...

That layout is exactly what I figured. And yeah, two sided printing. Cool.
manphibian
i think it needs more snowmen on it before i buy one thumbsup.gif
Supersprynt
Calendars will be 11x17 saddle stitched.

As far as auto-selecting last years photos for 6 months - I think its a poor idea. People will be left out to begin with so those should just be entered in the running to begin with and if they make the second cut - they are in. Entirely up to the owner whether he/she wants to re-enter last years photos vs. entering new photos.

3300x2550 is a very large picture not many people have access to cameras that can take it. I think my Rebel takes about that size max and it was a $1,000 so this should not be the limit on pictures. I think Coomer should give his 2 cents since he was in charge of photos every other time.
playr158
The listed sizes are not specifically required.
I only ask for the LARGEST SIZE that YOU can produce.
so PLEASE send in anything you have that you want submitted.
i have already received a good handful, thank you to those who have submitted thus far!

NOBODY is automatically selected...if you want someone from last year, then it needs to be submitted with everyone elses photographs.

thank you
C3L1CA
Sounds like I'll have to go take some more pictures of the celica.

Is there a limit on how many we can submit to you? Can we play with the pictures in photoshop at all or is that prohibited?
playr158
yes you can play with it in photoshop,
you can submit a couple pictures if you'd like some people have sent me like 5 some people 1.

but try to keep them real looking if its played with
Supersprynt
Why are people submitting more than one?

If someones 5 pictures are going to make it to voting there is literally going to be 100 pictures to choose from...

Should only be allowed to submit one picture.
playr158
i'll be knocking some of them out of course laugh.gif

don't worry so much Johna it will be fine.
LewFX
my submission:
http://www.lewfx.com/celica/DSCF0574.JPG
amysmojo
I dont think its a good idea to re-vote on pics that already won for the 2007 calendar. Kinda strange lol Just start over new for 2008.

Hey if someone has the winning pics from last year would u email them to me? amysmojo@gmail.com I wouldnt mind putting it together myself & getting at least 1 printed... I know the year is almost over but I like to keep them. (I still have 2005 & 2006) so I was really hoping to add the 2007 to that collection...biggrin.gif

So if anyone has the winning pics let me know!! thanks smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.