Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When will the st205 be readily available in canada?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
bccentaur3
Well I've read from some where that Canada won't be able to import the st205 until '09. I know they can get the st185, but is it true about the '09? If so what do you guys think it would cost to pick up one of them?
Valo666
2009...what ever the first month they were produced in...in Canada its 15 years to the month of production of the car. We can get 185s up here now just because the cars are over 15 years old. And as for costs, it depends. My friend said that he can get them for between $4K-10K b4 importing, so with importing, taxes, duty, and all costs...im guessin cheapest one you will find will be $6K or so. As for importing to the states, i dunno if you will be able to import. It depends on the US customs and your states laws. We had a guy who wanted to buy a 91 GTR from NYC, but he couldnt because for the laws in NY he couldnt import it to the states.
bccentaur3
Well I live in MN i'll have to look into our state laws. I will definately keep in touch with you if I can get an st205 for about 6-8K us dollars.
Valo666
QUOTE(bccentaur3 @ Oct 14, 2007 - 6:11 PM) [snapback]604863[/snapback]

Well I live in MN i'll have to look into our state laws. I will definately keep in touch with you if I can get an st205 for about 6-8K us dollars.

lol..if our $ keeps going up..its gonna cost u more like 12K USD..lol But yea, if you do want one, keep in touch cuz i work with/for one of my buddies who has an importing company.
j0e_p3t
i want one too
C3L1CA
Get one imported to Canada, drive up there with a truck and trailer and bring it back wink.gif By the time I can afford to get a real st205 they'll probably already be legal kindasad.gif
bccentaur3
Hey in MN we can drive with a right hand drive car. If I've seen those r33 and 34's rolling around I'm sure we can with the st205. I was just talking to a buddy in class about importing companies. But I'll definately keep in touch with you.
95CelicaST
Its not an issue with what side the steering wheel is on (look at the Post Office vehicles), its an issue with emissions and most clash with what the US considers "Street Legal"
Valo666
exactly...pretty much, as soon as we give u the keys and the ownership of the car, we are not responsible for any thing else....aka if you buy it form us, when you go 2 the boarder, if it doesnt pass over, its not our fault. We try not to sell to U.S. customers right now, but if we do, we tell them its not our resposnablity if they cant bring the car over the boarder. But yea..its not a matter of RHD or not, but its about if it passes safety standards and emission standards.
bccentaur3
What would make the st205 not pass emissions. If our usdm evos can pass emission why can't the jdm st205's?
Remy
I've read the st205 needed to pass some crash test stuff ?? I remember reading something similar to this awhile ago. So if you want a street legal st205 you'll have to buy a couple to make it pass some of these "test" first btw motorex did this thats why you see some r33 and r34 here. wink.gif I rather get one here as a "parts" car from Canada, yes just a parts car hehe..... smile.gif
bccentaur3
Yeah, but I don't want to have to put the motor and tranny in the car. I want to be able to fly to canada and drive the car down here.
Valo666
i would check with the US goverment's laws regarding importation of cars. In canada the car has to meet canadian safety standards, emmision standards *no matter how old the car is, unless its exempt*, and crash safety only if the car is 15 years of age or older depending on the month. Like we cant import certain cars from the states *IE Evo's* due to the crash test rating.
bccentaur3
I will, when the time comes. I'll definately have the money ready in '09. SO the st205's you can only get a hold of would be the 94's due to the fact that they are the only st205's that are 15 years old?
Rayme
QUOTE(bccentaur3 @ Oct 15, 2007 - 6:30 PM) [snapback]605143[/snapback]
I will, when the time comes. I'll definately have the money ready in '09. SO the st205's you can only get a hold of would be the 94's due to the fact that they are the only st205's that are 15 years old?

Before you get you hopes up, try importing a legal skyline from Canada into the US, if it works then re-sell it and you lost nothing, if nothing else(somebody will probably go gaga over a legal skyline), you'll realise its more work than you think. Even if you import a car from canada, it's still a jdm car, doesn't matter from which border it comes from! Its legal in Canada cause we have a 15 years old law, you guys it's much longer if I recall. Do you homework!

http://www.jdmmontreal.ca/car_details/120/...,_Stock_No._052

6000$ and it's yours!
Remy
QUOTE(bccentaur3 @ Oct 15, 2007 - 4:47 PM) [snapback]605131[/snapback]

Yeah, but I don't want to have to put the motor and tranny in the car. I want to be able to fly to canada and drive the car down here.

I never said anything about swapping the motor and tranny bro but I'll swap something else... biggrin.gif
bccentaur3
And what would you swap in an st205? cwm13.gif Well I have 2 more years to study and get this thing down.
ecaddiction
QUOTE(Remy @ Oct 16, 2007 - 12:34 AM) [snapback]605181[/snapback]

QUOTE(bccentaur3 @ Oct 15, 2007 - 4:47 PM) [snapback]605131[/snapback]

I never said anything about swapping the motor and tranny bro but I'll swap something else... biggrin.gif

He's not gonna swap the GT VLN to a ST205, hes gonna swap the entire ST205 with a GT tongue.gif "Heavily Modified" GT FTW.
bccentaur3
Ohh, I get it, but once caught tisk tisk.
ecaddiction
I'm not 100% sure that's what he was saying, but that's what I was thinking...
bccentaur3
lol, I'd really like to drive a RHD car though. Imagine people looking at you every where you go.
Valo666
u say that now....wait untill you drive rhd in a busy city or traffic. Its not as fun as you think. Its more of a novelty at first...but its not as great as people think. My friend who owns the importing company with his brother is driving a 180SX daily, its bone stock, except for a FMIC, BOV, boost controller and Nismo suspension...and he says its fun to drive when theres no traffic, but when traffic comes, it sucks terribly.
bccentaur3
You got me there, well who likes driving in traffic in the first place. I don't travel much. The only time I do traveling would be the weekends.
azian_advanced
meh... the only reason i wouldn't want a jdm car is because it's RHD.. i'd like to stay LHD if at all possible. but i'd still buy one.. and hopefully will have all the same options as my car smile.gif.
xHiKO
Hey guys. All you people waiting for the GT4 to come to Canada... Hate to break it to you but there may be a change in the 15 year rule. Transport Canada has come up with a plan to change that rule to 25 years so you will have to wait till 2019 for your GT4's.

No progress on the change yet but this site will keep you informed on the discussions, court hearings, petitions and new publications among other things relating to importing vehicles to Canada.

http://www.ivoac.ca/

This site is representing the Import Vehicle Owner's Association of Canada.

I am still waiting for the GT4 to become available to Canada but its not looking so good. Anyways... Ill keep you guys updated should anything change. Hope this helps a lot of you out.
Valo666
they wont change the rule...if any thing they are gonna change it to less then 15 years so that we will be able to import newer european cars that are more fuel efficent and better for the invorment. I saw that transport canada brought a Audi A2 and a Accord Eurowagon over that were both deisel showing them off as more fuel efficent cars. Transport canada has been saying they are gonna change the importation rule for like 4 years now...they arent gonna be doing it anytime soon.
xHiKO
I suppose... but the fight also includes RHD vehicles in general. RHD vehicles are not fit for the roads here or something like that... oh well if it happens it happens i guess.. if not then well..... WE'RE ALL HAPPY RIGHT?

smile.gif smile.gif
bccentaur3
Yes we will be all happy.
94celicadude
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
*going to bust some butt till 09 to get one*
if it all works out of course
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.