Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3vz-fe rebuild. Have a question
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
My2Celi
I just pulled this motor out of a 92 Camry from the yard. I got the motor at the house and start stripping it apart. I found out that they did the timing totally wrong. When I got the pulley to TDC 0, both of the cam circle points down when it's suppose to be up.

I measured the cam and crankshaft play and met manufacture specs. I found 1 blown piston and the rest are okay. Now looking at the picture is this head reuseable? and what do you recommend?

IPB Image

IPB Image
celicast3sgte
nope the head is toast man, all that roughness in the chamber will be hot spots and the valves are toast. might be easier for ya to find another longblock thats in good condition to start from. unless you know what your doing. but then again you probably wouldnt be asking us for help. lol jk man
kerosene
cant be boared out?
stephen_lee
yeah. timing is kinda hard. i helped my friend rebuild a acura Integra engine, ane while i was out buying sparkplugs. he put the head on and didn't align anything, AND there were no timing marks on the crank pulley. so i had to figure that out. the first time we tried to crank it, it sucked on the exhaust side and blew out the intake.. anyway it runs now.

you putting the 3VZ in your celica??
My2Celi
i'm not sure weather to put it in the celi or in the mr2. I have other plans for the celi. I never encounter this before so that's why I wouldnt know.
Hanyo
are any of the valves bent?

any signs of the the valves making contact with the pistons?

If nothing has gone wrong, it should be rebuild-able.
stephen_lee
i say Celica it:)
im planning this swap for mine.
Bitter
if all 4 valves in that chamber are flush (none sunken in) then the spark plug may have broken off and bounced around inside there. if one is sunken into the head deeper than the others then its likely you dropped a valve seat.
My2Celi
oh yeh and one more thing, i remove the head bolts from different sequence that i should remove it, Will anything happen or will it be just fine if i put it back on w/ the right sequence?
My2Celi
QUOTE(Bitter @ Oct 18, 2007 - 11:48 PM) [snapback]606453[/snapback]

if all 4 valves in that chamber are flush (none sunken in) then the spark plug may have broken off and bounced around inside there. if one is sunken into the head deeper than the others then its likely you dropped a valve seat.

the valves are all flushed and spark plug was fine. I think it was detonation from timing being installed wrong..

I must just have to pull another VZ out of the yard.
Bitter
nah, that looks like something got in there and bounced around.
My2Celi
Bitter, i believe you're right. So, I went to the yard and got another 3vz for $20, this one is in great condition. The weekend is over so I'll have to wait till next weekend to work on it.
stephen_lee
what yard are you going to?
Bitter
QUOTE(My2Celi @ Oct 21, 2007 - 8:33 PM) [snapback]607083[/snapback]

Bitter, i believe you're right. So, I went to the yard and got another 3vz for $20, this one is in great condition. The weekend is over so I'll have to wait till next weekend to work on it.

hang onto the ****ty one for parts wink.gif or keep it to build and swap into the mr-2 later on.
My2Celi
you pull it, it's in grand prairie, tx. There's another place call awesome and it's any motor for $50 and tranny for $25 bucks but both place requires you to pull it yourself. biggrin.gif. I'll try to update this project as much as possible.
stephen_lee
i should go there lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.