Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cold air intake
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
DaCCelica94
i have a 94 st but all ive seen is the injen cold air intakes with the heat shield on the gts. will it fit on my st. if not what intakes will fit my st.
JasonX
i'd say instead of the expensive and short ram injen intake, go on the post that says "added CAI today", and see about how to make your own. it'll help you a bunch. But, somebody else here would have to answer on the Injen.
roelamizzle
I have one of the Injen short systems on my ST, its an older model but it fits just fine.

As for making your own I have an idea that you may be interested in. I dont know if anyone else has tried this but it does work and its a REALLY inexpensive way to make your own CAI. I went to autozone and found the longest piece of radiator hose they sold with the closest diameter to match my throttle body. Then got a couple of those screw clamps and a filter that would fit the hose. You will have to cut a hole in the hose for the IA sensor but the cool thing is you can put it anywhere on the hose you want smile.gif and the hose I found had some pre-fabricated bends in it so it looked like it was installed from the factory, lol. I'll try and get a picture of it for everyone to see.
roelamizzle
Something else I have thought about trying was fabricating an intake cooling system by coiling the "cold" tube of my air conditioning system around the outside of my intake. Of course this would mean completely re-routing a new piece of tubing and adding more refrigerant but it could be done and it would cool the air entering the engine.
JasonX
QUOTE(roelamizzle @ Oct 30, 2007 - 7:21 AM) [snapback]609679[/snapback]

Something else I have thought about trying was fabricating an intake cooling system by coiling the "cold" tube of my air conditioning system around the outside of my intake. Of course this would mean completely re-routing a new piece of tubing and adding more refrigerant but it could be done and it would cool the air entering the engine.
that really sounds like a good idea IMO. lemme know if you ever go with it.
jason
i think the power that would be lost to run your ac enough to make those lines cool would more than outweigh the gains if any by doing so
roelamizzle
Maybe so, but here in Houston we run our AC's most of the time and you could insulate the lines and intake all together so that the cold stays concentrated.

I had another idea come to me yesterday which involves routing an air conditioning duct from inside the car through the firewall and have it intersect the intake so that cold air is pumped into the intake between the filter and throttle body.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.