Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOCAL- No front licence plate...
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
eggman40
I just got back from my paint shop and my car is done, but at the moment it does not have a front license plate. I was just wondering just how much people here in so-cal get harrased for it? does it happen often? how much is the fine? I really really dont wanna put one back on but.... i dont wanna be bugged about it either.. thanks guys
trdcelica94
its a infraction if u got caught by a popo. sometimes cops stared at me for not having it . i placed i near in the front windshield. some cops will be dicks about it and pull you over. to me it looks better without it. ive seen many cars without a front license plate. just depends on the car
Akira_g4
well im not in socal, im in norcal, and over here ive had mine off for like 2 years and ive never gotten harrased. i believe it depends on how your car looks and the area you are in....and also if popos wanna mess with you smile.gif
tomazws
Like they said, I placed mine on my lower right coner window shield. Never had a problem with it yet.

Knock on wood.
JasonX
i only got pulled over once since i had the car for about 3 years now. it happened in Venice Beach by a cop on foot patrol. the ticket was just a fix-it ticket and so it was under 40 bucks. as long as you take care of it within the given timeframe it will be under 40, but if you let it pass, oh boy, it's few hundred dollars. i wouldn't worry about it too much. worst can happen is a fix-it ticket, so just take your chances. it's same deal as tint in the front windows. hope this helps. i live in so-cal as well, so let me know if you have any further questions. laterz
xs94st
ahh..i actually didnt have one on the back. lol. drove around without it for about 3 months..then randomly got that ticket i posted about a while back. just had to put it back on n show it to the cops smile.gif

i always see 'cool' cars without their front license plates n those front plates that are chrome n have the car make's symbol on it (mainly bmw's n benz's) n those are made to replace the front plate..so i duno wtf to think about not having the front one. n for these instances with the chromed front plates with the make symbols, they sometimes have the plate in the front window somewhere but not always..
eggman40
QUOTE(tomazws @ Oct 28, 2007 - 10:04 PM) [snapback]609252[/snapback]
Like they said, I placed mine on my lower right coner window shield. Never had a problem with it yet.

Knock on wood.

thats what i like to hear. Sounds like its all on luck. I agree the car looks way better w/o it in the front. Esp. mine since it looks like a train ran over it... kindasad.gif I guess ill toss it up on the dash and hope for the best. Unless i could mount it in a good spot without hurting anything...

thanks for the replies everyone thumbsup.gif

95CelicaST
Must be great.

A while back I had my license plate literally ripped off my front bumper while I was parked in my work parking lot. I got out of work at midnight and saw it was missing. I found it in the dumpster next to the parking lot.

The next morning... on my way to the hardware store to put it back on I got pulled over and got a $195 ticket. The officer didn't care that I was on my way down there to fix it.

When I took it to court I gave them the hardware store receipt so they can check the time stamp against the time that I got the ticket... plus the time stamp on a picture with the plate back on the car and it didn't do any good. The judge dropped the ticket to $100... So I had to pay for someone else to vandalize my car.. mad.gif
trdcelica94
just be careful though try not to get into accidents because i heard when u put it near the front windshield and u get into an accident it can injure u . thats what the cop said to my dad.
IdiotStick
QUOTE(trdcelica94 @ Oct 29, 2007 - 11:50 AM) [snapback]609370[/snapback]

just be careful though try not to get into accidents because i heard when u put it near the front windshield and u get into an accident it can injure u . thats what the cop said to my dad.

Im pretty sure he tries not to get into accidents anyway, man.

That said, I noticed a trend with most cars that once they get repainted they tend to get into an accident in the first couple weeks out of the paint booth. if you have a second car drive it for a month or so before yo uget back in the celica lol, dont want to see another topic "Just got the car painted and now its totalled!"
eggman40
QUOTE(IdiotStick @ Oct 29, 2007 - 10:16 AM) [snapback]609379[/snapback]
QUOTE(trdcelica94 @ Oct 29, 2007 - 11:50 AM) [snapback]609370[/snapback]

Im pretty sure he tries not to get into accidents anyway, man.

That said, I noticed a trend with most cars that once they get repainted they tend to get into an accident in the first couple weeks out of the paint booth. if you have a second car drive it for a month or so before yo uget back in the celica lol, dont want to see another topic "Just got the car painted and now its totalled!"

yikes, i really hope that dont happen. im gonna try to keep driving to a minimum for the next couple of weeks. Esp. since ive been driving an auto maxima and montero for the last month. I havent driven stick shift or a lowered car since. Im gonna make sure im used to it. It a relief not to have to slow down for dips in the road. tongue.gif

trdcelica94
QUOTE(95CelicaST @ Oct 29, 2007 - 8:16 AM) [snapback]609349[/snapback]

Must be great.

A while back I had my license plate literally ripped off my front bumper while I was parked in my work parking lot. I got out of work at midnight and saw it was missing. I found it in the dumpster next to the parking lot.

The next morning... on my way to the hardware store to put it back on I got pulled over and got a $195 ticket. The officer didn't care that I was on my way down there to fix it.

When I took it to court I gave them the hardware store receipt so they can check the time stamp against the time that I got the ticket... plus the time stamp on a picture with the plate back on the car and it didn't do any good. The judge dropped the ticket to $100... So I had to pay for someone else to vandalize my car.. mad.gif

hmm california must be different. haha. its only infraction and pay a small fee i think.
forkee
its a tack on penalty. if "no front license plate" is your only infraction, then most cops won't even bother pulling you over. now if you did a california stop and/or had a broken light and/or drove recklessly, then they get all ticket happy and write you up for everthing they can find.

i agree that the car does look better without a plate on the front, even though the law states that one must be up in front. and just shoved above the dash doesn't count (legally). i think that looks tacky and would prefer not to have any at all rather than resorting to that.

its a fix it ticket just for that infraction. ~$20 i think for first time offense
eggman40
Nice, keep em coming. Im feeling a little more comfortable with the idea. I brought my car home tonight...FINALLy! Ill have pics up soon
trdcelica94
QUOTE(forkee @ Oct 29, 2007 - 9:34 PM) [snapback]609601[/snapback]

its a tack on penalty. if "no front license plate" is your only infraction, then most cops won't even bother pulling you over. now if you did a california stop and/or had a broken light and/or drove recklessly, then they get all ticket happy and write you up for everthing they can find.

^true.

if your going to put your front plate near the windshield might as well not put one at all. if u get pulled over just make up an excuse hopefully they will let you go with a warning.
punkuup5150
in my county in nor cal its a fix it ticket u fix it within 2 weeks and they write if off and u dont pay ne thign half of the time the people around here keep the stuff ither on there dash or in the trunk and if they get pulled over pop it back on in front of the cop and they let them go.
lumbercis
Depends on how modified your car is. If you aren't modified under the hood, then go ahead and run with no front plate. But if you have illegal mods, do NOT run with no front plate. The cop can use it as an excuse to pull you over and pop your hood. So you could end up with a ref ticket for your trouble.

J.
trdcelica94
QUOTE(lumbercis @ Oct 30, 2007 - 3:31 PM) [snapback]609806[/snapback]

Depends on how modified your car is. If you aren't modified under the hood, then go ahead and run with no front plate. But if you have illegal mods, do NOT run with no front plate. The cop can use it as an excuse to pull you over and pop your hood. So you could end up with a ref ticket for your trouble.

J.

hella true. thats why u saw most of those 7gens with plates in the front cause u know they have illegal mods under the hood at the chino meet. i was looking at some of the pics. but that goes for any car that has mods
eggman40
QUOTE(lumbercis @ Oct 30, 2007 - 3:31 PM) [snapback]609806[/snapback]

J.

that was my biggest concern frown.gif ill have to figure out a way to mount it cuse the holes are covered up... well see

95CelicaST
What Creis made for me are these L shaped brackets that screw into the crash bar from underneath, like on the tabs of the front bumper, they extend out to the front and have two holes where I screw my plate into, and rubber slips to protect my bumper from the screw.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.