Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Horrible gas mileage after timing belt and water pump change
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
GotToyota
I recently had Toyota put on a new timing belt and water pump, and ever since then my gas mileage has gone from averaging anywhere from 32-24MPG to what appears to be 20ish or so now. I believe it's something they did because I was getting great gas mileage before, and now my car is a gas guzzler. Is it possible that the timing is off? And if so, would Toyota be able to fix it because they did the work on the car?

If it isn't the timing, what else could it be?

-Matt
Bitter
that can happen if the timing belt is off a few degrees, take it back and ask them to double check the timing marks and SHOW YOU. so you'll need to lookup and know what to look for when they show you.
GotToyota
What is the timing SUPPOSED to be at? So I can tell them.

-Matt
Bitter
valve timing is supposed to be aligned to the timing marks.

you're getting valve and spark timing confused, retarded spark timing could also cause problems, but that shouldnt have been touched in a timing belt job.
GotToyota
QUOTE(Bitter @ Nov 4, 2007 - 5:37 PM) [snapback]611131[/snapback]

valve timing is supposed to be aligned to the timing marks.

you're getting valve and spark timing confused, retarded spark timing could also cause problems, but that shouldnt have been touched in a timing belt job.

So what should I tell Toyota when I go over there tomorrow? Should I say my valve timing is off?

-Matt
Bitter
yes, tell them you think that they have the timing off a couple teeth when they did the timing belt. even just one tooth off can make a big difference. if they check that out and it is ok, then you'll need to either have them go after the other cause or do it yourself. till then when was the last time you changed the cap/rotor, plugs/wires?
GotToyota
QUOTE(Bitter @ Nov 4, 2007 - 8:26 PM) [snapback]611185[/snapback]

yes, tell them you think that they have the timing off a couple teeth when they did the timing belt. even just one tooth off can make a big difference. if they check that out and it is ok, then you'll need to either have them go after the other cause or do it yourself. till then when was the last time you changed the cap/rotor, plugs/wires?

Alright, I'll do that.

Plugs are about 2-3k miles old, and I haven't changed the wires/cap and rotor in the time I've owned the car. I'm going to replace those next week, but that isn't an issue since I was getting great gas mileage BEFORE Toyota did the work.

-Matt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.