Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: hesistant car HELP
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
peroxwhysm00
a few weeks ago i decided to clean out my car, inside and out, vacuum,wash, wax etc, so then i had more time and i was bored, so me n my buddy went out to autozone and got engine cleaner, went home, and started to spray everything and basically clean everything up, hoping to make it a little more nicer looking...

so of course i took off the air intake, and put a cloth inside the throttle body, so when i LIGHTLY washed down the car with water, nothing would get into it...

from there i was driving my car for a week OR 2, and my car is hesistant at times when i floor it...i would feel that i lost power at about 3500 rpm, and it would slowly go up to 4500, then it feels like i have all my power back at 4500 (feels like a VTEC<< its cool but still besides the point)
and if say i shifted the car to early, it would start knocking and shaking,when before it wouldn't do that, it would just result in me getting to a higher speed during a longer time duration...car never shakes like that (us stick guys know that)

so from there i looked at the basics and started diagnosing...

1. i checked for a misfire ----- NONE

2. i purchased a new cap and rotor, bosch spark plugs, and new spark plug wires----NO LUCK----

3. Then i looked at the battery terminal, and i saw the -negative- terminal was loose and i could pop it off it i tried without loosening it...so i bought 2 new battery terminals, and hooked them up, thinking maybe somehow the voltage was acting strange because it didnt have a good connection...-----NO LUCK----

4. I thought maybe its about time i put some dry gas in my car, to get rid of any water that may have accumulated throught its life...put some in 1/2 tank, ran it till its was empty, then filled up the tank, and added more dry gas in there, ran that tank out, and STILL -----NO LUCK----

---------------------------------POSSIBILITIES IVE ASSESSED-----------------------------------------------------
1. put the stock air intake/box in, and hook up the sensor that i originally took out to get the air box out (i think its a mass airflow sensor, andwhen i got my cheap autozone intake, there was no place to put the mass airflow sensor in, so it was just dangling, and i think that MAY have not calculated the right amount of air needed to go into the intake

2. Or it could be a retarded timing belt, i dont think it is, but it may be....

HELP if you can please, i think the installation of the cheap intake with nowhere to put the mass airflow sensor in messed up everything... from experience, have a guys had any with that or with a cheap intake ??

thanks a lot if you can help

GriffGirl
Honestly, it sounds like you have a vacuum leak to me. Check all your vacuum hoses and make sure you didn't accidentally disconnect one or something. Make sure they're all on snugly.

Also, from what I've read on this board, Bosh plugs are awful for our cars... I know it's too late to take them back, but get rid of them and put NGKs on. If you need to go cheap, you can get the basic NGKs, NAPA carries them in-stock. I put platinums on my ST, they ran 12.99 for 4 of them, and I'm very happy with them.
LewFX
check the hoses on the egr
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.