Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ????Intakes????
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
chosen1
I have no clue about intakes. I want one for my 94' GT to gain HP. I need to know a couple of things. 1) How do I know that I won't suck water into the engine? 2) How do I keep the heat from the engine away from the intake so that it won't be sucking in hot air. 3) How can you make one on your own.
I know people are going to be quick to get on my case about not knowing these things already but I figure that this forum is set up for people to learn from each other.
celica3sgte
To be honest. An intake won't give you any horsepower. It will give you so little, you won't be able to notice the differences. N/A engine don't get nearly as hot as a turbocharged car. But none the less, don't worry about making one.
I found this on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2428025276
That's all I could find.
Supersprynt
To answer your questions - if its a short ram intake, you dont have to worry about water getting in it cuz its in your engine bay. CAI are what you need to worry about and even then theres a part, i forget what its called that will close when water gets in there. The hotness well, theres nothing you can do about that. The "heatshield" dont do ne thing and the air in your stock airbox is going to be just as hot as the intake. The only real point of getting an intake is to get the sound.
chosen1
thanks for the replies. I put in a bid for the intake.
SpedToe169
You will not get water in the engine (enough to be a problem) even with a CAI. The inlet has to be COMPLETELY submerged for the engine to hydrolock. To do that you'd have to drive through a small lake (>10 deep with the CAI I have). If you're doing **** like that with your celica, you have bigger problems anyway.

An intake WILL give you power if it is properly designed. Just as an example I was dynoing a world challenge car last night and it gained 10hp with an intake. Properly tuning the length of the intake will give even more, on that car it will be upwards of 15hp. A properly designed intake on a GT will make about 10-12hp.

Nobody makes an intake for the GT, you'll have to make your own, and it won't be easy. Read up.
chosen1
SpedToe, are there any suggestions where I could read up on it? Or could someone maybe post a mod for it?
TigerWoodsJr
An intake will give you HP, and they do make intakes for the GT. Weapon R makes 2 of them, the hyper style and the dragon style. I had a Weapon R dragon style on mine, sounded good and made a noticable difference in the car at 3500rpm's and up. I recommend them. You can get it from www.nopionline.com.
FireinDC
how much will you go up to on the bids?
ghostdog
if I remember correctly the main obstable in making a cai for the gt was that the cruise control module was in the way. if you don't have cruise control the directions for making the st cai should work without any complications. if you do have it you can try buying some extra piping/couplings etc and work your way around it. honestly, making a cai is time consuming but not all that difficult.
FallenHero
I'll sell you my weapon-R dragon if you want it. I paid $180 and will let you have it for $120 shipped. I used it for maybe a month, and now want body mods...

Jon
Verde97
I have the Weapon-R Dragon short ram air as well, and I like it. Gives me a great sound (but no power haha).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.