Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing Clutch
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
machee
I grabbed a Haynes and I'm going to attempt to replace the clutch in a 94 ST this weekend.

I'm planning on just buying a flywheel from autozone or somewhere instead of having the old one resurfaced. Anything wrong with this?

Are there any bolts I'm gonna take off that aren't meant to be reused?

What else would you recommend I replace? (rear main seal, etc)

I searched and found a few threads to read, and noticed one guy with a strut tower out. The Haynes only mentions removing suspension components that "may be in the way." Am I going to have to remove the strut tower?

Any additional tips would be appreciated.
Fate
i'm in the process of changing my clutch as we speak. you can replace your fywheel but if it isn't too bad just resurface it. i just had mine done and it cost me 50 bucks/looks brand new. you won't be throwing away any bolts and just make sure you keep everything organized through labels, pictures, or just a good memory. both seals on both sides of the tranny would be good to replace and as far as the strut bar-no need for removal. make sure before you drop the tranny all connectors are off, i learned that i still had one on after the fact. as far as suspension removal, you can get away with breaking it down to the hub/or just removing the lower control arm. no need to drop it from the top. take your time and good luck

machee
I can get a reman flywheel from AdvanceAutoParts for $35, so I figured why not since it's cheaper.

Thanks for the quick reply. You even answered all my questions! smile.gif I'll be sure to check back and maybe have learned a few things to share.
Shytheed_Dumas
Has anybody ever posted a walk through with pics here or on any other Celica forums? I'm going to be replacing the whole transmission, which isn't far from a clutch job anyway, and a thread like that would be a great find if one exists...
machee
There's a video in the FAQ but it is for some old Chevy car. I'm sure it's similar but it's definitely no substitute for a step by step guide specific to the celica.

If I have enough extra hands/spectators, I may try to get someone to take pictures and notes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.