Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best transmission fluid?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
GotToyota
I'd like to replace the transmission fluid in my car, and I've heard that synchromesh is very good for the Celica's transmission, plus it will get rid of any grinds (which I have a 3rd gear grind). Other then that, any other suggestions to what I can use?

BTW, is there any other way to fill up the transmission besides filling it in the side hole?

-Matt
ecaddiction
I used syncromesh. I didn't notice a difference, but mine's smooth. I'd say go for it.

And no, that side plug is the only way.
bccentaur3
to be correct the stuff you put in the manual transmission is actually called gear oil. transmission fluid is the stuff that goes into the automatic tranny's.

The side plug is the only way. Its not like its hard, its like changing your oil. Just make sure you get the pump to pump the gear oil into your tranny, instead off having one of those bottles with the nose on them and you have to squirt from the bottle. IMO it works like crap.
GotToyota
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'd like to change my transmission fluid soon. Once the fluid is all drained, and if I don't have a pump, could I just pour each bottle into the transmission through the nozzle?

And it's about 3.5 quarts, right?
azian_advanced
you won't have enough room if you're pouring it straight from the bottle (at least i didn't).. i used a funnel that has a flexible hose to the end of it.

and it's 2.6 quarts for a refill btw
808celica
QUOTE(azian_advanced @ Dec 5, 2007 - 10:05 PM) [snapback]620144[/snapback]

you won't have enough room if you're pouring it straight from the bottle (at least i didn't).. i used a funnel that has a flexible hose to the end of it.

and it's 2.6 quarts for a refill btw

reallly???? mines was 3.75qts. oh and on another note........make sure the axle and tranny seals are perfect........cuz i just spent $45 on synchroMax made by royal purple........now its leaking from my axles...........sucks ballz
azian_advanced
yeah, you're probably right, i got the info for an AT, not MT. my bad
anyway, it should show the fluid capacity near the end of the handbook.
pasqual
What oil use for gearbox with LSD (S54+LSD)

TRD recommended some special oil :TRD LSD oil FF

Anyone have experiences ???
Kadett
QUOTE(pasqual @ Dec 8, 2007 - 8:35 AM) [snapback]620849[/snapback]

TRD sells a LSD for the S54 tranny??
pasqual
QUOTE(pasqual @ Dec 8, 2007 - 8:35 AM) *

TRD sells a LSD for the S54 tranny??

Yes ...

I have 3s-ge BEAMS .. but you can install
LSD in any S54 ....
dabazied
just fyi, it's 2.6 on flat ground, if it's on jackstands it won't start leaking out until about 3.25 qts, just from my recent experience
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.