Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: my car stalled and wouldnt start?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
95st-celica
so i was drivin around the other night and it was pretty late....i was commin off of a closed road....i dumped the clutch and did a little burnout...which i usually never do caus im afraid im gonna blow this stock clutch..but neway...i noticed it was ideling a little funny....got up to a red light and it stalled.....tried starttin it back up and it wanted to start but wouldnt....the only way i can describe it is it felt as if my carb(if it had a carb) was flooded or i threw a timeing belt....so i sat there n tried it again and i pumed the gas gotta it runnin but it was really really rough...had to give it a lot of gas to get goin n i had to keep on the gas caus i didnt want it to die...luckily there was a gas station right on the corner so i pulled it in there n tried lettin it idle and it just died..tried it again and it did the samething...wanted to start but wouldnt for some reason? so i sat there..i went into the gas station n bought a quart of oil because it was low neway n i just figured it would kill some time...called up a buddy of mine and told him the situation and he said hold it to the floor and try startin it...took a sec to start but it did...i reved it a little...let the idle come down and everyhting was completely back to normal...been drivin it fine with no problems for about a week now but im still curious as to what it could be? i have no idea....any suggestions or comments as to what you think it would be? thanks guys
lubu
Your fuel filter needs to be replaced.
Bitter
QUOTE(lubu @ Nov 17, 2007 - 11:55 PM) [snapback]615196[/snapback]

you have cancer.

i just LOVE how all these internet mechanics can say soo certantly what the problem is when they have never seen the car, touched the car, heard the car, and only read one small paragraph about the problem. if you're soo car clairvoyant then how come you're not working at an auto repair shop? you'd be making bank with that 6th sense of yours!

1st grab a fuel pressure tester, hook it up, and crank the engine. write down the fuel pressure and then try to find the specs for what the pressure should be online. fuel pumps can be very intermittent and tricky to diagnose sometimes. we had one at the shop that we had to run for 3 hours before it would die, then had to make it die several more times to make sure it was the pump and not an engine control or pcm problem.

theres also other things that can cause your described problem. a failing IAC can cause idle problems, especially at closed throttle the car will idle badly or just die.
95CelicaST
Failing EFI relay will cause the same problem as well.
lubu
QUOTE(Bitter @ Nov 19, 2007 - 2:41 AM) [snapback]615331[/snapback]

QUOTE(lubu @ Nov 17, 2007 - 11:55 PM) [snapback]615196[/snapback]

you have cancer.

i just LOVE how all these internet mechanics can say soo certantly what the problem is when they have never seen the car, touched the car, heard the car, and only read one small paragraph about the problem. if you're soo car clairvoyant then how come you're not working at an auto repair shop? you'd be making bank with that 6th sense of yours!

1st grab a fuel pressure tester, hook it up, and crank the engine. write down the fuel pressure and then try to find the specs for what the pressure should be online. fuel pumps can be very intermittent and tricky to diagnose sometimes. we had one at the shop that we had to run for 3 hours before it would die, then had to make it die several more times to make sure it was the pump and not an engine control or pcm problem.

theres also other things that can cause your described problem. a failing IAC can cause idle problems, especially at closed throttle the car will idle badly or just die.

LOL if i have cancer then you must have AIDS.

I said that because I had the same problem and one of the member on ozcelica did too.

Did I ever say that Im a mechanic?

edit: The reason i said it so bluntly was b/c I was in a hurry. So there you go for your smart comment.

On a site note, the guy on ozcelica changed his spark plugs too, weak fuel pump could also be the caused but anyways GL.
chacha
lol...funny you guys...a lil sense of humor isn't bad for once in a while...my spark plugs were covered in oil...well just one of them and it bogged and choke and wouldn't start...i had to let it sit out for a while and keep having the engine start all over again or put my foot on gas....i was stuck on the freeway and had no tools with me...it was a horrid time....check spark plugs....although there could be billion of things that could be involve...but i say check plugs...since they are a quick easy check...*note: requires tool...biggrin.gif good luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.