Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Celica Vs Snow
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
Valo666
Well, we got hit with a nice winter storm in Toronto last night, about 10-20CM, depending where u were in the city, over night. Any ways, we brought the coupe back this weekend. It was my frist time driving an ST/our ST/a celica w/o ABS in the snow. I personaly have to say, driving her ST in the snow is ALOT easier then driving my GTS. We only have all seasons on her car, but still, i found it much easier. The ST can actually accelerate somewhat in the snow, where as in my GTS, the amount of torque it has allows me to spin the tires really easily. The ST also handels alot better in the snow then my GTS *only difference in suspension mods is i have a better front strut bar and better endlinks and the obvious that i also have a hatch and she has a coupe*. It brakes better/eaiser, it turns better, it doesnt slide as much...well....it doesnt slide as much coming to a stop, but around corners i had the back end kickout a bit. But i think the BEST thing about driving an ST w/o abs in the snow is...the ABS doesnt come on every freakin second! lol Thats deffinatly one thing i absolutely hate about driving my GTS in the winter. Every time u put the slightest bit of pressure on the brakes, ABS comes on, anoyes the crap out of you for 10 seconds and does absolutly nothing. You pretty much look at the pedal in my GTS and the ABS comes on. As much help as the ABS is suppost to be, it just get really f*ckin anoying. You just wanna slow down like half a mile per hour, your ABS comes on. You cover your brake to just make the light come on to make sure the person behind u knows to slow down a bit, the abs comes on.

Personaly, i feel that the ST is sooo much more easier to drive in the snow then the GT. I want to know what you guys think though. Am i the only one who feels this way? or is it somethin that other people have noticed as well.
purplegt4
its all about those all-seasons. definitely need a good tire for snow - winter / all-seasons.

i believe its better to have a thinner tire for snow.
lx130
yup thinner tires u can also see them on rally cars in snow, tires are real thin, but thin is hte way to go! just got some new winter tires on my stock rims

yup thinner tires u can also see them on rally cars in snow, tires are real thin, but thin is hte way to go! just got some new winter tires on my stock rims
azian_advanced
i vote ST. lighter = better.

i downshift and engine brake all the time in the snow, more reliable than ABS imo.
Hanyo
it all depends on on the tires. If you use proper tires, you can offset the weight difference of the gt/s.

If you have a GT with ABS get some narrow front tires and you would be set.
Celiracer18
ST for the lack of torque. granted its got enough to spin them in almost any gear while on ice, all you need to do is shift up a gear and they wont spin an inch.

could be the same as the gt but ive never driven one. Snow + tiens = stuck everywhere lol
Supersprynt
QUOTE(azian_advanced @ Dec 2, 2007 - 8:38 PM) [snapback]619077[/snapback]

i downshift and engine brake all the time in the snow, more reliable than ABS imo.

Actually, more weight over the wheels is what matters in snow.

Theres no difference between the GT/GTS and ST in snow handling capabilities. It's all about the tires your using; and maybe your transmission. Manual would be better since it won't shift on you.

The torque and horsepower has nothing to do with anything unless your flooring the damn thing.
Valo666
Well, right now on the ST we have a set of Bridgestone or somethin like that cheap off the shelf all seasons...on my GTS, i have a set of Perelli winters that cost a pretty penny..or would have if i got them for retail. and i STILL think the ST is better handeling in the snow. And also on my GTS im running 195/60R15s..so skinnier then stock
97GTinKC
I have Goodrich Traction T/A's 205/50-vr16, they do MUCH better in snow than the Michelin Pilots or the Yokohamas I've had in the same size.
snapshotgt
If you know how to drive in these conditions with good tires, it should not matter. Voted GT.
CelicaST_CALI
Well the GT has wider tires than the ST,i think wider tires help in the snow..i have Gt width tires on my ST and driving in teh snow isnt that hard,its much harder in my cousins civic...
Supersprynt
Wider tires do not help in the snow, they're worse. This is why you inflate your tires more in the winter.
Sinyk
snapshotgt has the right idea. Drive carefully and you will be fine. I still spin when taking off in my GTS and I use studded winters but I don't have any other problems.
Remy
QUOTE(Supersprynt @ Dec 3, 2007 - 12:27 AM) [snapback]619130[/snapback]

QUOTE(azian_advanced @ Dec 2, 2007 - 8:38 PM) [snapback]619077[/snapback]

Actually, more weight over the wheels is what matters in snow.

Theres no difference between the GT/GTS and ST in snow handling capabilities. It's all about the tires your using; and maybe your transmission. Manual would be better since it won't shift on you.

The torque and horsepower has nothing to do with anything unless your flooring the damn thing.

^^ I agree with that and learn how to drive in snow it helps. wink.gif I drove my celi today in the snow and I prob have the lowest drop outta all the people who posted and I did fine. biggrin.gif

Edit: I don't plan on driving my celi in the snow though lol still rust free biggrin.gif
DangerboyJr
Lol at Brian.. I got Snows on my GTS and I spin like a mother effer.. lol we got hit with about 12 inches in the last 2 days
97lestyousay
My st did fine as does my 88 corolla gts. I wouldn't think there would be much of a difference
stock vs stock. I haven't really driven mine in the snow since I put 17 in rims on it though.
I have a 4x4 toyota truck for snow, you have to be pretty stupid to have problems with it. wink.gif
Kwanza26
They're basically the same car. The only time you'll notice a difference (assuming tires are the same) is drivetrain layout, wheelbase, and sometimes power. In this case... they're the same.
Valo666
power is different between the two, especialy the torque.

Yesterday was fun though. driving home from toronto usually takes 3 hours. Yesterday..it took 6..lol We got caught in terrible snow storm, white outs, roads completely covered in snow, roads icy as can be. It was pretty bad, but one downside, the weight difference over the front wheels+the overall weight of the hatchbacks vs the coupe, the hb is nicer in deeper snow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.