Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throttle body idea / question.
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
tads
I was just wondering if anyone has tried this. It looks close and I have all the parts to do it. Has anyone swapped the TB off a 4A-GE to a 5S-FE, the 4A-GE throttle body is about .25in larger, and it looks like might bolt up without modification. I over-bored the TB on my Solara and got a pretty good increase in throttle response, so I figure if this is a strait bolt on for my Celica it might be a nice addition. This wouldn’t cost a dime to do, and everything measured close, so I am going to try it if no one else has done it before.
Supersprynt
We await your results.
GriffGirl
QUOTE(Supersprynt @ Dec 3, 2007 - 5:46 AM) [snapback]619204[/snapback]
We await your results.

Ditto!
WALKER
CelicaTech thread on Throttle Bodies.
GriffGirl
That's awesome info... I just wish I understood if/how I could apply it on a 7A-FE
BloodyStupidDavey
QUOTE(GriffGirl @ Dec 3, 2007 - 7:19 PM) [snapback]619261[/snapback]

That's awesome info... I just wish I understood if/how I could apply it on a 7A-FE

Hmm, so the (3rd gen) 3sge, 7mgte, 1GGTE and 1MZ-FE all have a 60mm throttle body. Do they all have the some bolt pattern, same size butterfly bar and electrically compatible sensors? Any advantage of using one over the others?

The 2jzge is 75mm. Could one swap out a 3sge TB for the 2jzge one and would it make any difference?
Kwanza26
A larger throttle body means you can potentially move more air... BUT... if the head and cams are not designed to take advantage of that, overall performance increase isn't going to be worth all of the custom fab time needed. IMO, might as well built a whole new intake manifold, because if you're talking about making horsepower... the intake manifold can be seen as a horsepower limiter.
tads
QUOTE(WALKER @ Dec 3, 2007 - 6:32 PM) [snapback]619255[/snapback]

Good thread, I'll see if I can get this done tomorrow.

QUOTE(Kwanza26 @ Dec 4, 2007 - 1:19 AM) [snapback]619374[/snapback]

A larger throttle body means you can potentially move more air... BUT... if the head and cams are not designed to take advantage of that, overall performance increase isn't going to be worth all of the custom fab time needed. IMO, might as well built a whole new intake manifold, because if you're talking about making horsepower... the intake manifold can be seen as a horsepower limiter.

Exactly. If you don't have all the parts lying around it's probably not going to be worth the time / work for a few ponies and slightly quicker throttle response. However, if your driveway looks like a used Toyota dealership and you have multiple parts cars in the garage, well why not try something new biggrin.gif .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.