6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
jgreening
It may be a repost but I thought I would post it up anyway:

Thread on www.mr2.com
easternpiro1
QUOTE(jgreening @ Dec 6, 2007 - 4:26 PM) [snapback]620279[/snapback]

It may be a repost but I thought I would post it up anyway:

Thread on www.mr2.com

and GUESS what i have to say about THAT.....

MUHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! THANKS FOR THE INFO!!! only a few more months....
Supersprynt
Whose car is this?
illneversellmycelli
just be sure to put collision insurance on this one hahahahahahhaha

good luck cant wait to see it
easternpiro1
i just asked the author of that thread (rickyb) who owned it i need to talk to that guy....
presure2
interesting comments by ricky in that thread, jay.
seems like he's finding some new things out about the gen4 3s...
sounds like a HELL of a ride.
smile.gif
lagos
wonder if the owner is on here.
easternpiro1
i know for a fact that herbalife has a 330 whp caldina (the actual car) he gave me some pointers...and knows where to get aftermarket parts for that motor
lagos
id still pick a 3rd gen over a 4th. smile.gif
BLINKYxMUNKEY
I've never seen a 1 piece manifold/turbine like this. Looks like an awesome setup though.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j177/all...ac/IMGP3128.jpg
chacha
EAST, share some info with us on the after market parts for the ST215 engine...my choice is runninng in the middle of the ST205 engine and the ST215...
frosty
QUOTE(BLINKYxMUNKEY @ Dec 7, 2007 - 1:03 AM) [snapback]620362[/snapback]

I've never seen a 1 piece manifold/turbine like this. Looks like an awesome setup though.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j177/all...ac/IMGP3128.jpg

interesting...smooth flow...nice numbers...

I'm curiouse though, what are the specs on the head? more specifically, valve diameter and cam specs....
pitcelica
I know that the exhaust cam is the same as ST185 and ST205. Here's my guess for the intake cam :

Specs of stock ST185 cams:
Ex, max cam lift 8.2 mm, 236°, max lift at 118° BTDC, open 56° BBDC, close 0°
In, max cam lift 8.2 mm, 236°, max lift at 110° ATDC, open 8° BTDC, close 48° ABDC
Overlap 8°

Specs of stock ST205 cams:
In, max cam lift 8.7 mm, 240°, max lift at 113° ATDC, open 7° BTDC, close 53° ABDC
Overlap 7°

Specs of stock ST215 cams:
In, max cam lift 8.7 mm, 244°, max lift at 113° ATDC, open 7° BTDC

This is my guess for the 4th gen cam specs

For the valve spec, according to the EPC, 4th gen 3sgte intake valve aren't interchangeable, so they aren't the same as other gen. According to the EPC, the exhaust valves of the 4th gen are the same as the 3rd gen ST205 one. So, find the diameter of the ST205 exhaust valve and you will know the spec of these 4th gen exhaust valves.

I own a 4th gen too. If I disassemble the head, I'll take measurement to have the spec of the head.
easternpiro1
QUOTE(chacha @ Dec 6, 2007 - 8:13 PM) [snapback]620369[/snapback]

EAST, share some info with us on the after market parts for the ST215 engine...my choice is runninng in the middle of the ST205 engine and the ST215...

wow pit! this info is pretty useful! though im no gear head, im always trying to learn more.

Chacha, sorry, dont have much in the way of aftermarket available here BUT i will try to get a hold of herbalife to find out what after market parts he had on his, im pretty sure he had an AEM fuel rail slightly modified but the caldina he has is in jamaica, and i dont have the list of stuff he has in my mail, will get back to ya on it if i can though
6strngs
Oh god, the place where this thing was tuned is seriously less than a mile from my house! I've got to find this beast so I can get a ride in it! bowdown.gif
lagos
QUOTE(6strngs @ Dec 7, 2007 - 3:01 PM) [snapback]620646[/snapback]

Oh god, the place where this thing was tuned is seriously less than a mile from my house! I've got to find this beast so I can get a ride in it! bowdown.gif

you should go there an have ricky tune your car.
6strngs
QUOTE(lagos @ Dec 7, 2007 - 1:55 PM) [snapback]620692[/snapback]

QUOTE(6strngs @ Dec 7, 2007 - 3:01 PM) [snapback]620646[/snapback]

you should go there an have ricky tune your car.

sounds good to me! maybe he'll give me a special mr2oc.com member discount! (haha, I wish) but seriously, I think I'm gonna give him a PM and see if he could do it.
chacha
where is he located and where was the info on the little tuner place, did i miss it? maybe ill go and check him out since he's in cali...if he's done 4th gen swap...maybe he'll consider doing one for me biggrin.gif...
6strngs
QUOTE(chacha @ Dec 7, 2007 - 8:44 PM) [snapback]620811[/snapback]

where is he located and where was the info on the little tuner place, did i miss it? maybe ill go and check him out since he's in cali...if he's done 4th gen swap...maybe he'll consider doing one for me biggrin.gif...

livermore CA is about an hour east of san francisco.
pitcelica
So, as I can seen, a lot of people want to know what are the aftermarket parts are available for the ST215 3SGTE engine. Here's are some parts that are bolt on :

-Adjustable cam gear (AEM, Fidanza, HKS, OBX, ATS). Any cam gear kit for 3SGTE will fit.

-XS Power SSAC ST205 manifold/downpipe used with a ST205 turbo will convert the one-piece ST215 manifold/turbo to a nicely upgradeable ST205 Ct20b turbo kit. You can add to this a t3/t4 adaptor and you will be able to use a t3/t4 turbo (like I did on my ST215 swap)

-Pistons, rods, crankshaft are all the same for ST205 and ST215

-The injectors are the same as the ST205 one, so, if there is a 3rd gen fuel system available, it will fit the ST215 too.

-The exhaust camshaft is the same as the ST205 one. So an HKS 264/272 exhaust camshaft will bolt on. For the intake, I don't know if the HKS one would fit. Next year, when money will allow it, I'll buy a HKS264/264 camshaft kit and I'll know if the intake camshaft fit or not.

-You can remove the top ATA intercooler and add a FMIC as easy as any other 3SGTE.

The things that need heavy custom work is the ECU/wiring harness, ignition component (because of coil-on-plug). In my case, I used a Megasquirt II ECU with Ford EDIS wastespark ignition system and everything works nicely.

The other aftermarket parts like BOV, wastegate, air intake, boost controller etc, can be fitted easily like on any other 3SGTE engine.

So plz, stop saying that the ST215 engine isn't easily modifyable, there are plenty of parts that can be used to give a lil more hp to this unknown beast.

Thanks

Sam
6strngs
QUOTE(pitcelica @ Dec 9, 2007 - 9:33 AM) [snapback]621109[/snapback]

So, as I can seen, a lot of people want to know what are the aftermarket parts are available for the ST215 3SGTE engine. Here's are some parts that are bolt on :

-Adjustable cam gear (AEM, Fidanza, HKS, OBX, ATS). Any cam gear kit for 3SGTE will fit.

-XS Power SSAC ST205 manifold/downpipe used with a ST205 turbo will convert the one-piece ST215 manifold/turbo to a nicely upgradeable ST205 Ct20b turbo kit. You can add to this a t3/t4 adaptor and you will be able to use a t3/t4 turbo (like I did on my ST215 swap)

-Pistons, rods, crankshaft are all the same for ST205 and ST215

-The injectors are the same as the ST205 one, so, if there is a 3rd gen fuel system available, it will fit the ST215 too.

-The exhaust camshaft is the same as the ST205 one. So an HKS 264/272 exhaust camshaft will bolt on. For the intake, I don't know if the HKS one would fit. Next year, when money will allow it, I'll buy a HKS264/264 camshaft kit and I'll know if the intake camshaft fit or not.

-You can remove the top ATA intercooler and add a FMIC as easy as any other 3SGTE.

The things that need heavy custom work is the ECU/wiring harness, ignition component (because of coil-on-plug). In my case, I used a Megasquirt II ECU with Ford EDIS wastespark ignition system and everything works nicely.

The other aftermarket parts like BOV, wastegate, air intake, boost controller etc, can be fitted easily like on any other 3SGTE engine.

So plz, stop saying that the ST215 engine isn't easily modifyable, there are plenty of parts that can be used to give a lil more hp to this unknown beast.

Thanks

Sam

from the link:
The fuel rail is top feed and beefy.

I'm assuming that the 3rd gen is side feed then, which means the injectors and fuel rail are not interchangable. and

The cams are not interchangeable with previous generation motors because they lack the distributor notch and run an internal cam sensor instead.

this one speaks for itself. the rest of the stuff is probably interchangable like you said though.
easternpiro1
3 CHEERS FOR SAM!!!!!!!!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

HIP HIP......
pitcelica
The 4th gen fuel rail isn't top feed. The fuel enters from one end and go back to the tank at the opposite end.

Here's a pic of the ST205 fuel rail and injectors :

IPB Image

Here's a pic of the ST215 fuel rail and injectrors :

IPB Image

Here are some pics of the engine naked (ST215) :

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Maybe I don't understand clearly what's the difference between top-feed and side-feed fuel rail (I come from Quebec and I speak french), so, be gentle if I made a mistake in understanding.

You're right, the injectors aren't interchangeable, because according to EPC, the ST205 one and ST215 one don't have the same part number.

But both of them are 540cc and ST215 are high impedance.

For the cam, exhaust cam are the same for ST205 and ST215 (EPC part number are the same). But for the ST215 intake camshaft, there is a little arm that provide info to a cam position sensor at the rear end.

But I'm sure that someone machinist can cut the distributor end of a ST205 intake HKS camshaft and drill a hole for the little arm for the sensor and I'm sure that it will fit. It's maybe what I'll do if I buy new camshafts.
pitcelica
Here's a pic of the cam sensor and trigger shaft mentionned above :

IPB Image
6strngs
Side feed injectors, as the name implies, feeds the fuel into the side of the injector and then it goes down through the tip. While top feed injectors have the fuel go through the top of the injector as in your picture of the ST215 ones. The pictures you posted also shows that the ST205 fuel rail is side feed.
pitcelica
Ok, thanks,

I was thinking that the side feed or top feed was only the fuel rail setup:

If the rail receive fuel from one end to the other, this was a side feed fuel rail.

If the rail receive fuel from the top (center) to each end, this was a top feed rail.

Thanks for the input!

I suppose that this is why ST205 injectors have a larger body diameter than the ST215 for the same flow rate.

What are the differences in performance between both (side feed and top feed) for the injectors, what should narrow my choice to top-feed or side feed injector if I have to change them for aftermarket ones.

Thanks
frosty
QUOTE(pitcelica @ Dec 7, 2007 - 12:45 PM) [snapback]620539[/snapback]

I know that the exhaust cam is the same as ST185 and ST205. Here's my guess for the intake cam :

Specs of stock ST185 cams:
In, max cam lift 8.2 mm, 236°, max lift at 110° ATDC, open 8° BTDC, close 48° ABDC
Overlap 8°

Specs of stock ST205 cams:
In, max cam lift 8.7 mm, 240°, max lift at 113° ATDC, open 7° BTDC, close 53° ABDC
Overlap 7°

Specs of stock ST215 cams:
In, max cam lift 8.7 mm, 244°, max lift at 113° ATDC, open 7° BTDC

This is my guess for the 4th gen cam specs

For the valve spec, according to the EPC, 4th gen 3sgte intake valve aren't interchangeable, so they aren't the same as other gen. According to the EPC, the exhaust valves of the 4th gen are the same as the 3rd gen ST205 one. So, find the diameter of the ST205 exhaust valve and you will know the spec of these 4th gen exhaust valves.

I own a 4th gen too. If I disassemble the head, I'll take measurement to have the spec of the head.

hmmm....thanks for the specs. I'm gonna guess that if the 3rd and 4th gen intake valves are not interchangale then mabey the 4th is slightly larger?... a guess though....
6strngs
QUOTE(pitcelica @ Dec 10, 2007 - 3:03 PM) [snapback]621493[/snapback]

Ok, thanks,

I was thinking that the side feed or top feed was only the fuel rail setup:

If the rail receive fuel from one end to the other, this was a side feed fuel rail.

If the rail receive fuel from the top (center) to each end, this was a top feed rail.

Thanks for the input!

I suppose that this is why ST205 injectors have a larger body diameter than the ST215 for the same flow rate.

What are the differences in performance between both (side feed and top feed) for the injectors, what should narrow my choice to top-feed or side feed injector if I have to change them for aftermarket ones.

Thanks

I'm not really sure if there are any performance benefits out of either, just that there is a greater aftermarket support for top-feed.
teamchancery
QUOTE (easternpiro1 @ Dec 7, 2007 - 10:52 AM) *
QUOTE (chacha @ Dec 6, 2007 - 8:13 PM) *

wow pit! this info is pretty useful! though im no gear head, im always trying to learn more.

Chacha, sorry, dont have much in the way of aftermarket available here BUT i will try to get a hold of herbalife to find out what after market parts he had on his, im pretty sure he had an AEM fuel rail slightly modified but the caldina he has is in jamaica, and i dont have the list of stuff he has in my mail, will get back to ya on it if i can though

TALK about being super late but heres herbalife car

http://www.wheelsjamaicahost.com/wheels_fo...p?topic=81728.0
Cuts_the_Pilot
anyone know if the gen4 has oil squirters, 3 angle cut and stainless steel valves like gen3 does?
pitcelica
yes it has oil squirter, I have a spare gen4 head at home. I'll check for the stainless valves and the angle cut. I'll post close pics of valves and head.
easternpiro1
i thought herbalife went to georgia? i guess he's back with his baby in jamacia! .... damn im late! ive been meaning to talk to that guy, cant get a hold of him!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.