Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what to look for when buying a 6th gen
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
i_want_vtec
This is my first post here. I just searched for a buyers guide but found a bunch of 3sgte info. before i joined the navy, i drove a 91 red celica st with a 5 speed. It wasn't very fast but i loved the car and i have always liked the look of the 6th gen. I found a 94 red manual st for 2000 and already called dibs on it pending me taking it for a test drive.
what do i need to look out for? i know its a toyota and therefore it will last forever but are there any problem areas/important maintenance that could make me spend much more for this car than advertised? thanks for your help.
CelicaZR
Interesting nick!
But if you want VTEC, your not gonna find one in a 6gen laugh.gif

Just check the car as if you were gonna look at any other car.
There are no known issue with the 6gen.
Check for rust, oil leak, gearbox, clutch, exterior and interior for wear and tear etc.

Good luck smile.gif
95CelicaST
If you want Vtec you should buy mine.
i_want_vtec
the sn was a screen name and ive just stuck with it for automotive forums
Shink
QUOTE(i_want_vtec @ Dec 10, 2007 - 1:23 AM) [snapback]621319[/snapback]

I found a 94 red manual st for 2000 and already called dibs on it pending me taking it for a test drive.
what do i need to look out for?

As said above, the Gen 6 is a good stable car, and is not known to have issues. You're looking for all the usual things as with any car.

I think you do need to make sure you know what you're buying, though. The early models like the 94 came with a variety of engines. Assuming it's a US model, and not an import the options were as follows:

GT with a 135 bhp 2.2 litre 5S-FE
ST with a 105bhp 1.8 litre 7A-FE.

(Both ST and GT were sold as Autos or manuals)

If it's an import, it gets more complicated. If it's an import and a 94 it is just about possible it might have superstrut suspension and ABS. The superstrut is nice for handling, but costs a lot on maintenance over 60,000 miles.

What you want to look for is the engine plate in the engine compartment. It will have one of the following numbers, which will identify the model:

ST, LTD, SR AT200R-BLMSKW
GT ST202R-BLMGFW
GT-Four ST205R-BLMVZW
Cabriolet ST202R-BKMGFW

JDM Model Codes

SS-I Manual E-ST202-BLMGK
Automatic E-ST202-BLPGK
SS-I 4WS Manual E-ST203-BLMGK
Automatic E-ST203-BLPGK
SS-II Manual E-ST202-BLMVF
Automatic E-ST202-BLPVF
SS-III Manual E-ST202-BLMZF
Automatic E-ST202-BLPZF
Cabriolet Automatic E-ST202C-BKPVF
GT-Four Manual E-ST205-BLMVZ

I included all the model codes just in case, but basically you're looking at an ST, GT, SS-I or SS-II.

jds7188
where is the engline plate located?

BloodyStupidDavey
QUOTE(jds7188 @ Dec 10, 2007 - 9:37 PM) [snapback]621471[/snapback]

where is the engline plate located?

Back of the engine bay - just under the windscreen.

NapTown94
to be a little more specific its to the left side of the firewall right under the windscreen, like mentioned. At least that's where mine is.
Harold_Fastwaker
Meh, just check for rust, check the oil, all other fluids, make sure the belts are tight.
TheRockman
What I did before I bought mine was take it to a Toyota dealer and have them inspect it. I can't remember what it cost, but if you have a dealer close by, I suggest giving them a call and see how much it would cost. They caught some minor issues that made a good bargaining chip with the seller. wink.gif
i_want_vtec
well looks like i wont be buying the celica. my 1st gen neon is broken and is now calling me to turbo it
TheRockman
I hate to hear that. Good luck with the Neon!
i_want_vtec
QUOTE(TheRockman @ Dec 13, 2007 - 11:00 AM) [snapback]622447[/snapback]

I hate to hear that. Good luck with the Neon!

i would love to get a celica(red especially) but its either a stock celica or a turbo neon
Shink
Turbo Neon, or stock Celica? On the basis of handling and driving pleasure, the Celica surely comes out better. But you know what you like. You're missing out on a great car, though.
i_want_vtec
QUOTE(Shink @ Dec 13, 2007 - 5:04 PM) [snapback]622532[/snapback]

Turbo Neon, or stock Celica? On the basis of handling and driving pleasure, the Celica surely comes out better. But you know what you like. You're missing out on a great car, though.

you have no idea how good a 1st gen neon acr handles stock do you?. i also have eibachs, konis, prothanes, and suspension techniques sway bars. i will own any comparable celica on a back road. i just like the way the 6gen looks
jdg371
Neon ACR are sweet autox cars. Although you didn't specify you had an ACR.. yes ACR > Celica on handling. STOCK and modified.
i_want_vtec
QUOTE(jdg371 @ Dec 13, 2007 - 10:17 PM) [snapback]622624[/snapback]

Neon ACR are sweet autox cars. Although you didn't specify you had an ACR.. yes ACR > Celica on handling. STOCK and modified.

its not an acr but i have konis(acr) daytona turbo steering rack(better than acr) eibach pro-kit(better than acr) st swaybars(better than acr). scc did a project neon and though they didn't get alot of power( they used the sohc lightly modded) they did say it was one of the best handling cars they had ever built.
Havok1997GT
its still a Dodge. Sorry i have a personal hatred for those cars. i don't care what you do to them they still suck. you can quote me all kinds of mods you've done and they still suck. they could out run a Viper on a strait and id still hate them. And they are ugly, all Dodges are ugly. i had a chance to get a 1983 Supra if i could get a Dodge Stratus to the person that was selling the Supra. i only paid $300 for the Stratus because it was a friend of mine who was selling it and it was a POS. but the person with the Supra needed a 4 door car and had a friend that could help her fix it up again. i drove it to about 15 min away from the persons house and the car blew the Head gasket and warped the head. Cheap piece of crap!!!!!!!!!!! needless to say the person with the Supra didn't want it if it didn't run. and considering that the Supra only had 160,000 miles on it and was in really good shape, she sold it to her brother for a Ford something or other and he ran it into a tree a month later!

so yah, i hate Dodge.
i_want_vtec
QUOTE(Havok1997GT @ Dec 13, 2007 - 10:57 PM) [snapback]622638[/snapback]

its still a Dodge. Sorry i have a personal hatred for those cars. i don't care what you do to them they still suck. you can quote me all kinds of mods you've done and they still suck. they could out run a Viper on a strait and id still hate them. And they are ugly, all Dodges are ugly. i had a chance to get a 1983 Supra if i could get a Dodge Stratus to the person that was selling the Supra. i only paid $300 for the Stratus because it was a friend of mine who was selling it and it was a POS. but the person with the Supra needed a 4 door car and had a friend that could help her fix it up again. i drove it to about 15 min away from the persons house and the car blew the Head gasket and warped the head. Cheap piece of crap!!!!!!!!!!! needless to say the person with the Supra didn't want it if it didn't run. and considering that the Supra only had 160,000 miles on it and was in really good shape, she sold it to her brother for a Ford something or other and he ran it into a tree a month later!

so yah, i hate Dodge.

all of that stuff is preventable by doing the maintenance on time and shaving a couple threads off one of the head bolts. a 1st gen neon is not a nice or highly refined car but it has loads of character. also the motor from this car called the srt4 fits in there. can you say 12's at full weight and stock motor for less than a 3sgte swap
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.