Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: W2A Intercooler
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
domyz
Hi guyz, i have a top mount water to air ST185RC intercooler on my 3sgte. My question is how much boost i can flow through it before i have to change for a Frount mount setup.

I wanna install a ct20b and AEM EMS and crank boost up to 15psi. Is my intercooler enough good? And also, what a not enough efficient intercooling system can cause to a car?
toyotacrazy
QUOTE(domyz @ Dec 14, 2007 - 10:54 PM) [snapback]622892[/snapback]

Hi guyz, i have a top mount water to air ST185RC intercooler on my 3sgte. My question is how much boost i can flow through it before i have to change for a Frount mount setup.

I wanna install a ct20b and AEM EMS and crank boost up to 15psi. Is my intercooler enough good? And also, what a not enough efficient intercooling system can cause to a car?

It could make it detonate and ruin your engine. I doubt you will have any issues with the WTA intercooler at 15 psi. But, An engine is very costly, a devils own water injection kit would be a good idea if you plan to crank the boost past stock. Boost is very addicting! Trust me! Get the Water injection also!
-toyotacrazy
Gary
You should be fine at 15 psi on CT20B and ST185RC intercooler.
You can mod the pump to run constantly if you want.
You can also upgrade the heat exchanger to a larger unit.
Kadett
Also, I would lag the underside of the intercooler with Heat Reflective material. Dont have any numbers, but my intercooler went from too-hot-to-touch to a-bit-warm.

Here's the topic I made for it.

http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=53938&hl=
domyz
Here is my celica
IPB Image

IPB Image

My W2A is always between cold and warm, my pump is set to run constantly. So I cannot go above 15 psi?
Kadett
You can go above 15 psi. The only problem is the more you go above it the hotter the are becomes. So it wont be effective (less air molecules) and dangerous (detonation). Installing Water injection and lagging your intercooler greatly reduces air intake temps.

IE A 1.3 bar CT20 could produce less HP then a 1.1-1.2 bar with Water injection.
domyz
i don't want this water injection, i think this is like NOS and this is not good. I want to run my car like stock. Change oil and liquids, i dont wanna shoot things in my engine...
jcbass7
QUOTE(domyz @ Dec 16, 2007 - 3:55 PM) [snapback]623240[/snapback]

i don't want this water injection, i think this is like NOS and this is not good. I want to run my car like stock. Change oil and liquids, i dont wanna shoot things in my engine...

when you get a chance read some more up on water/methanol injection, what it does actually protects your engine a lot more than hurting it like NOS can
95st-celica

do your homework first....its good stuff thumbsup.gif
toyotacrazy

Water injection when installed properly is the opposite of nos. It wont hurt your engine. NOS kinda adds more air, as WI adds more fuel (sorta)and lowers internal combustion temps.
Gary
The reason not to go above 15 psi on your current setup is because of the turbo, not the IC.
And yep, do your homework about WI, and not just on this site.
I'm one of people that don't want the WI on my car and there are reasons for that.
(I'm not saying that the WI is not an effective way to lower the intake temp and prevent knock)
domyz
so why you dont want it ???

For me, its adding something more under the hood, something that can break anytime and that needs refill every week.
Kadett
Looking at your engine bay I i want to say one more thing: Get a BOV before turning up the boost.
Insanity-74
QUOTE(Kadett @ Dec 23, 2007 - 10:32 AM) [snapback]625183[/snapback]

Looking at your engine bay I i want to say one more thing: Get a BOV before turning up the boost.

I wouldnt...st185 engines run much better without them
toyotacrazy
QUOTE(domyz @ Dec 22, 2007 - 7:50 PM) [snapback]625114[/snapback]

so why you dont want it ???

For me, its adding something more under the hood, something that can break anytime and that needs refill every week.

I only refill mine about every 2-3 weeks. and its only a 2 liter bottle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.