Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: severe oil leak from 94 celica
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
pnoywitmustrdsauce
i check the oil once in a while becuase i know our engines are prone to oil leaking. but it got to a point where i am starting to worry. everyday there would be probably a good eigth cup of oil on the floor. i started looking around the oil pan to see if i scraped the crap out of it but no problem and all the screws are tight on it. the oil plug is tight and there is a new washer seal. then i notice the back of my engine closes to the firewall is shoaked in oil and it looks like it starts all the way up from the intake manifold!! imma pull the intake manifold off hopefully today and hope that it is nothing bad. but anybody got any ideas on what it is.?
808celica
mine is doing the same.....but like 40 drops everyday.

i changed from the factory recommended 10w-30 to 10w-40 oil.......and i tightened my valve cover a little.......now it only drips like 10 drops everyday. not fixed but it should hold till i rebuild.

if your gonna try to tighten the valve cover do it very carefully. i didnt have trust in my hands and the feel so i had my mechanic uncle do it for me...........

you can also shooot some engine degreaser back there and hose it off with water............then let everything dry. then go run your car for a good 15-30 mins. then check back and try to see where the leak is coming from.
CelicaST_CALI
do u have a lift u can use?idf u do than jsut jack it up and look underneath and find it lol...
808celica
jack it up...............spray engine degreaser..........clean degreaser off...........run your car until dry..............run your car 15-30mins............go back jack it up and check..........
celicamike
Maybe check your valve cover gasket. Its pretty cheap and simple to replace if that's the problem.
JUD93U
hi all i had a similar problem and found that the power steering hoses leak heavily ide start from there they run right across the back of the engine
presure2
i'd start with the valve cover gasket.
its cheap (~14$) and easy to do.
jcbass7
QUOTE(presure2 @ Dec 30, 2007 - 9:28 AM) [snapback]626660[/snapback]

agreed, especially when you say the oil is coming down the back near the intake manifold. It could easily be coming out the back of the valve cover gasket and running past the manifold.

My 3s had some doing the same thing in the same spot, but the guy who put the valve cover on my car last time didn't get the gasket, he just used some RTV sealant... and he used the wrong kind etc. etc. ugly mess..
lazarpaul
i got the exact same problem......I had it for years now but it used to leak just a few drops a day........replaced the valve cover gasket - nothing.....some1 told me it was the timing belt(the seal around one of the pulley)-nothing.......now it got worse so i got under it 2 days ago and I saw the same thing.....the hole back side of the engine is splashed with oil and its going all the way up to the bottom bolts of the intake manifold......so kinda think is something dripping on one of the axles(that's why all the splashing) but i just cant figure out what.......could the intake leak engine oil(is there any oil going thru there?).....i'm pretty sure its engine oil.
If any1 finds out please let us know.......cars been sitting in the garage for about 3 months now:(
Bitter
distributor O ring? wash down the engine to remove all oil, then run it and watch for the leaks.
808celica
yes like my first couple posts said............
GriffGirl
Check your cv boots, especially that center-most one on the passenger side. I've got a nasty mess under my car in the exact same place as your car; I had it up on a rack and we discovered it appears to be coming from a torn axle boot.
devilsden97
QUOTE(presure2 @ Dec 30, 2007 - 9:28 AM) [snapback]626660[/snapback]

So easy, even the Migga can do it.

edit: doubt this will help, but

http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=48864&hl=
trdproven
Typical oil leaks are found at valve cover gasket, oil pan, distributor o-ring???
lazarpaul
pnoywitmustrdsauce sorry for crashing your thread but you might be having the same problem
I've replaced the dist o-ring and it was still licking on the right side
So I jacked it up....cleaned some of all that oil splashed on the back of the motor and then I turned it on
My oil pump licks like crazy and (probably while driving) the oil goes right on the axle that splashes it all over the place
My q. now is how hard is it to replace the seals on the oil pump and what tools do I need for that?
The estimate I got from my mechanic is about $400
Here's some pics

IPB Image
You can see the splash that goes all the way up to the intake manifold
IPB Image

IPB Image
NapTown94
My car drips oil too, maybe like two table spoons a day or so, but I don't know what's causing it. I had the Oil pan gasket replaced, I've checked some other things, but I'm still not sure. It dripped a while onto my skid plate. Could the leak now just be the oil on the skid plate coming out? I'm curious.

and is it safe to pop your hood and spray your engine and what not down with a hose? I have the sock airbox so the filter is covered.....

someone message me and let me know. thanks!
hjmw
QUOTE(pnoywitmustrdsauce @ Dec 21, 2007 - 3:16 PM) [snapback]624844[/snapback]

i check the oil once in a while becuase i know our engines are prone to oil leaking. but it got to a point where i am starting to worry. everyday there would be probably a good eigth cup of oil on the floor. i started looking around the oil pan to see if i scraped the crap out of it but no problem and all the screws are tight on it. the oil plug is tight and there is a new washer seal. then i notice the back of my engine closes to the firewall is shoaked in oil and it looks like it starts all the way up from the intake manifold!! imma pull the intake manifold off hopefully today and hope that it is nothing bad. but anybody got any ideas on what it is.?

Oil pump seal, they become loose in the housing and leak around the outside of the seal. Fit the new seal with Loctite or similar, requires removing timg belt cover and loosening the timing belt.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.