Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MR2 (non turbo) VS Celica
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Beams
I was cruising last night with some friends and this MR2 pulls next to me at the traffic lights. He floors the gas but i hear no blow off valve so i say cool ok i might have a chance here. I floor it later on but he doesn't follow. He then stops next to my friends car which btw he knew and told him this Celica guy thinks he can beat me. My friend told me what the MR2 guy said and i'm pissed off so i found his phone number and if i have a chance i'm calling him. I believe i can smoke this guy since it's the 2.0 litre with no Turbo (I saw him floor it...wasn't impressed)
SiKBOY
hm, I dont know. The MR2's here in OZ come with the 3SGE engine and that will spank the hell out of a 5SFE. But saying that my girls mr2 feels really slugish off the start and it only gets a real kick in the ass after 5500 rpm's. It takes a while to get up there though.

I know that the MR2's in the states come with the 5SFE so it might be a close one. I think it depends on the weight of the car and probably the driver.
Matthew
yea i dont know which engine the MR2 has in cyprus but he has a 99 SS-III which has the Beams 3S-GE with 197hp and VVT-i

i think that you should win.
Supersprynt
What year MR2? I dunno what exactly is in Cyprus, but if u have an SS-III you have a very good chance. Lil known fact - MR2's weigh quite a bit. In teh states here the MR2 non-turbo weighs more than the Celica GT coupe. Of course, its RWD, so it changes things also. It'd be a nice lil race, just drive well.
97sccelica
QUOTE (Supersprynt @ Aug 19, 2003 - 10:40 AM)
What year MR2? I dunno what exactly is in Cyprus, but if u have an SS-III you have a very good chance. Lil known fact - MR2's weigh quite a bit. In teh states here the MR2 non-turbo weighs more than the Celica GT coupe. Of course, its RWD, so it changes things also. It'd be a nice lil race, just drive well.

yeah, the non turbo mr2's had the 3sge(except for the usdm models) and it was rated at around 160hp. later versions were at 170hp or somthing like that.

im pretty sure that a 197hp car that weighs about 250lbs less should be faster, although, the fact that he has RWD allows him to launch with more power.

go for it, i read an article on mr2.com and it said the 170hp non turbo mr2 ran 17.1 in the 1/4 mile

here is the link: http://www.mr2.com/ARTICLE/Toyota_MR2_GT.html
Supersprynt
USDM Mr2 with 170? or JDM? Thats a mighty high hp for a 5sfe.
Beams
He claims it's the beams engine he has on, but the way he drove off the traffic lights looked like he had only 160bhp, i called him up and he doesn't want to race cuz i sounded very confident i would win. If he really has the 3s-ge he might smoke me, but i highly doubt it cuz he can't drive for ****...
Kwanza
QUOTE (Beams @ Aug 20, 2003 - 2:59 AM)
He claims it's the beams engine he has on, but the way he drove off the traffic lights looked like he had only 160bhp, i called him up and he doesn't want to race cuz i sounded very confident i would win. If he really has the 3s-ge he might smoke me, but i highly doubt it cuz he can't drive for ****...

The Late model 2nd gen MR-2's did come with the Beams 3sge...
97sccelica
QUOTE (Supersprynt @ Aug 19, 2003 - 5:16 PM)
USDM Mr2 with 170? or JDM? Thats a mighty high hp for a 5sfe.

no,

all non usdm NA mr2's had the 3sge engine.

all usdm NA mr2's had the 5sfe
95STHATCH
do you know for sure he doesn't have a turbo? Just because you saw him floor the car but didn't hear a blowoff valve hiss doesn't mean he doesn't have a turbo.
Beams
I'm positive he doesn't have a turbo, he said it himself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.