Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The rest of my life?
6G Celicas Forums > Other > Off Topic
cnelson
Hey guys, for any of you who have seen be around the forums, probably know that i am 18 year old senior in high school. The last couple of months I've been weighing my options heavily about what to do for college. For the first month or so I really only had like two ideas.

The first was go to community college for two years figure out what i wanted to do, or go to Rutgers and get a degree in business management. I was also considering maybe becoming a teacher. I am an avid golfer and have been playing now for about 3 years, I have also been on varsity for school for the past 3 years. I am not as great as some players my age but i can hold my own. Thats when i was looking one day and found a couple interesting schools.

I found, PGCC (Professional Golfers Career College) and SDGA (San Diego Golf Academy) . Now don't jump to any concussions. These are not school that claim they will turn me into a professional golfer. I would get an associates degree in Professional Golf Management. I have a passion for golf that i don't believe most people will ever share with me. Thats what made me so interested in these two schools.

Over Dec. I went and visited both campus's that they have in South Carolina. One is in Myrtle Beach (SDGA) and the other in Hilton Head (PGCC). I quickly did not like Professional Golfer's Career College, however i felt differently about SDGA. It seemed like a great school, very small class's but everything else seemed really good. I got accepted on the spot to both schools just waiting for my letters in the mail.

I just don't know if this is the path that i should peruse. I do have a love for golf and would love working in the industry. However I live in NJ and its not like i could come home every weekend to visit. I have a girlfriend who i've been with for about a year and half, I have two best friends that i've known for 14 years. I have my parents here. Theres just a lot of things that are in the back of my mind. There are some days that i feel strongly about going to school there and other days that seem like it wouldn't be a good idea.

Some of you probably don't know, but the amount of jobs in the golf industry is very good and the school has a 85 to 95% job placement rating. She showed me the website that the students get access to before and after they graduate and it lists all the jobs, by state. I saw a whole bunch in NJ. I would like to become either an Asst. Pro, or a Head Pro. at a course. (Thats someone who you would go and take lesson's from) Asst. Pro's start around 35,000$ to 45,000$ and once your a head pro, if you're working at a good country club you could be making anywhere from 60k to a 6 figure salary.

But I still have no idea what i should.. If anyone has any opinions i'd great appreciate them. Thanks.
Sinyk
If you don't start somewhere, you won't get anywhere in life.
cnelson
Thats a really deep thought. Thanks for the advice. smile.gif
GriffGirl
What degree would you get from SDGA? I'm quite a bit older than you so I've got experience in the job market and can maybe offer some insight.

It looks to me like what you're interested in is business management - specifically, you'd like to apply business mgmt. in the golf industry. There are a NUMBER of ways you can do this - by working for a club, or a manufacturer of golf equipment (like Ping or Calloway, someone the specifically only does golf, not like Nike), there's publishing... etc. There's lots of stuff out there that has to do with golf, it's a HUGE industry and yes, you're right - a HUGE money maker.

If I were your parent or someone else to you that had a vested interest in your career persuits, I would advise STRONGLY that you persue (not PERUSE - that means to browse!) a degree in business management at Rutgers. It will give you a much broader scope of business and management that can be applied in any number of industries. If you limit yourself to something as specific as SDGA, I think you will not only limit your career potential, you will limit your salary potential. An education from a lesser-known very specific place like this will totally brand you. They may know golf, but how well do they know BUSINESS? A Rutger's degree will get you in WAY more doors than this SDGA place.

Lastly, if your HS GPA is less than stellar and you're concerned about being admitted to Rutgers, or if your SATs suck (mine sure as hell did, I actually got a 950 but still got into NYU and Fordham, among a few others), go to community college your first 2 years. In the real world, no one really gives a sh*t where you spent your first 2 years of college. Get your cores out of the way, (it's WAY less expensive this route too), get good grades and transfer to Rutgers for your major. Be sure you stay in touch w/Rutgers along the way though so you meet all the transfer requirements and don't have to repeat classes. And if you REALLY want to rake in a lot and open up your career options even more, continue on for an MBA. It is hands-down among the best ways to maintain a competitive edge in business management. And it's a great way to secure that 6-figure salary. 30-45k is a nice starting salary, but it won't go far, especially on the east coast, and you don't want to cap out at 60 because you don't have the accreditation. It'll be worth it in the long run!

cnelson
Thats what i had in mind.. however i could transfer my credit from SDGA and get a business degree somewhere else, and that a business and a associates in professional golf management. Its a big decision and i'm still not sure what to do..
Havok1997GT
QUOTE(GriffGirl @ Jan 11, 2008 - 4:58 PM) [snapback]630086[/snapback]

What degree would you get from SDGA? I'm quite a bit older than you so I've got experience in the job market and can maybe offer some insight.

It looks to me like what you're interested in is business management - specifically, you'd like to apply business mgmt. in the golf industry. There are a NUMBER of ways you can do this - by working for a club, or a manufacturer of golf equipment (like Ping or Calloway, someone the specifically only does golf, not like Nike), there's publishing... etc. There's lots of stuff out there that has to do with golf, it's a HUGE industry and yes, you're right - a HUGE money maker.

If I were your parent or someone else to you that had a vested interest in your career persuits, I would advise STRONGLY that you persue (not PERUSE - that means to browse!) a degree in business management at Rutgers. It will give you a much broader scope of business and management that can be applied in any number of industries. If you limit yourself to something as specific as SDGA, I think you will not only limit your career potential, you will limit your salary potential. An education from a lesser-known very specific place like this will totally brand you. They may know golf, but how well do they know BUSINESS? A Rutger's degree will get you in WAY more doors than this SDGA place.

Lastly, if your HS GPA is less than stellar and you're concerned about being admitted to Rutgers, or if your SATs suck (mine sure as hell did, I actually got a 950 but still got into NYU and Fordham, among a few others), go to community college your first 2 years. In the real world, no one really gives a sh*t where you spent your first 2 years of college. Get your cores out of the way, (it's WAY less expensive this route too), get good grades and transfer to Rutgers for your major. Be sure you stay in touch w/Rutgers along the way though so you meet all the transfer requirements and don't have to repeat classes. And if you REALLY want to rake in a lot and open up your career options even more, continue on for an MBA. It is hands-down among the best ways to maintain a competitive edge in business management. And it's a great way to secure that 6-figure salary. 30-45k is a nice starting salary, but it won't go far, especially on the east coast, and you don't want to cap out at 60 because you don't have the accreditation. It'll be worth it in the long run!

i agree

one thing i would like to add though is about your girl, friends, and family. The first thing you have to do is get them out of your head or it wont matter what you do youll hate it and either drop out or be misurable the whole time your gone. If your girl wants to be with you, youll make it work till you get back, your friends will also be there when you get back, and your family although you may wish they wouldnt at times will also be there when you get back. im sure none of them would want to be part of keeping you from doing something with your life, and if they where to leave, you would also feel the same about them. you have to think aboiut it like this, You dont want to be the only one left behind because you didnt want to seperate from them for a short time to get your life going.

Like is said, the first thing you have to do is get yourself ready to be away from them or you might as well not both spending the money. I know how close people can get but if they really care about you they will let you go and do what you need to do and will be waiting for you when you get back.

dabazied
My advice is to get your stuff from Rutgers. Then with that degree find work in Myrtle Beach. Then while you are getting part time experience with your degree take the courses there and bam. You will have a safeguard and fallback that way and, a way to branch to other options if you later decided to do something else.

Just my $0.02
GriffGirl
Bag the associate's altogether, it'll seriously limit your income potential and it's a step backwards if you already have a BA. I don't think clubs will show preferential hiring for the golf academy school over an accredited 4 year university. Best way to find out is to make appointments and go talk to some club house managers. You never know, you may even land a p/t job w/one while you're in school and secure yourself a nice future when you get out!
Rayme
I'm starting to think school failed me. All I ever heard from 1st grade to graduation was going out for for nice jobs and higher education, now I feel betrayed cause all of my "un-educated" friend all ended up in trades field, like plumbing, carpentry, electrician, welder mechanic.. etc... and damn , are they cashing in! I mean stuff will break down and stuff will be build all the time, way more stable job than business where you are a slave to economy, more or so.

/me angry at education! I know one day I'll switch from my boring computer job in graphic design to something in the mechanical field or manual labor...

Just saying..do what you want to do! Nothing is being wasted. Just don't get a job for the salary, if the job is not your passion, you will feel betrayed by promises all the time until you are happy. And you're still young, when I was 18 my passion almost completely changed over the years, and now that I'm almost 26 I would do everything differently, I feel like half of my college years has been only good to get in debts. Live and learn! You will find your way if you persue what you REALLY want, follow your instinct biggrin.gif
cnelson
Thanks guys, all this means a lot. I've really been considering going to my community college for two years. Working really hard on my golf game passing a PGA Playing Ability Test and getting into the field that way. I need to talk it over with my parents, and my close friends, oh and my golf instructor. And please if anyone else has anything to add please do.
Celiracer18
all I suggest is trying to find a career that wont make you hate going to work everyday. I'd hate to be stuck doing something that i dont enjoy everyday.
Punisher
I have to agree with Havok.. forget the girl.. I know it sounds mean but what is more important? The rest of your working life or a girlfriend now? I learned this lesson kind've the hard way! You're 18.. sorry to say it but that relationship probably won't go anywhere. I was 17 when I started dating my ex and we went for nearly 5yrs.. broke up last summer when I was a few months away from turning 22. She didn't really care for the fact that I wanted to be a professional pilot and didn't want me to be out flying for days and possibly weeks at a time, depending on the job I would take. What's funny now is she is dating a guy that lives in TN.. and he's in the army and right after they started "dating" he got shipped to iraq for 15 months...

Long story short, girls are ****in screwy man... don't plan the rest of your life based on a girl.. it's your life, you're the one that needs to live it and expirence the choices you make.

As for your family, who cares? You've been with them for 18yrs... lol. Kids go off to school... if you are that close to your family then you will be home for holidays... and when you are done with school you can seek a job in your hometown area.

Same thing for the friends, if they are real friends then they will never dissapear on you.

I speak from expirence here because I am about to leave to move completely across the country... I lost the girl, I went nuts... then I decided that I was just a moron and that it's high time I follow my passions and work towards my goals, the ones that will affect the rest of my days. I've done good in school so far but I've slacked off on flying.. and that already has hurt me because I'd be in a LOT better position right now if I would've stopped spending massive quantities of money pleasing my ex and spent the money flying.

If you love golfing so much then do it. I absolutely love flying and I wouldn't trade it for anything else. I also love to weld so I also do that... if flying should ever fail me for whatever reason (medical or something) I could always fall back on welding, but flying to me is #1. I know that whatever the situation, I will always love doing my job and that is the most important thing to having a happy life and eventually a happy family. No one wants to be around an asshole that comes home from work pissed off every day.

To sum it up.. just do whatever you have to do to fulfill your dreams and do it with all of your ability and never slack off and never let anyone stand in your way.
Punisher
QUOTE(GriffGirl @ Jan 11, 2008 - 7:11 PM) [snapback]630118[/snapback]

Bag the associate's altogether, it'll seriously limit your income potential and it's a step backwards if you already have a BA. I don't think clubs will show preferential hiring for the golf academy school over an accredited 4 year university. Best way to find out is to make appointments and go talk to some club house managers. You never know, you may even land a p/t job w/one while you're in school and secure yourself a nice future when you get out!

Well community college is a step towards your bachelors. For me, my local community college offers an associates in applied avation science with aeronautical training at 1 of 3 local flight schools. Same thing with PCC. (Portland community college). They also have association with Embry-Riddle aeronautical school... so my credits from my hometown community college will transfer to PCC.. then from PCC to embry-riddle where I will go from my associates degree to my bachelors in aviation science and then I've been considering getting my masters as well. (Yes, one of my goals is to be highly educated in aeronautics... b/c I truly enjoy/love it and one day when I'm not flying professionally anymore I can easily get into a teaching position.)

However, if your CC doesn't offer a degree with golfing... then going there for 2yrs would be a waste of time really.
dabazied
Associates aren't really worth it unless it gets you exactly where you want(most of them can't do that). Do a transfer program, get your BA, go down and do what ya want. Listen to the man that said don't plan your life around a girl. If they are meant to be there then they'll stick out the time of you bettering yourself. If not, then ya know what the deal is.
Scott
I think it's good that you're already planning out stuff for your future, that puts you a step ahead of a whole lot of community college kids. but at the same time, you should realistically consider which college option can best help you in the future: a 4 year degree from a respected liberal arts school (for example, Rutgers) or a 2 year degree in a specific field from a trade school. Now I'm not bagging either option, there's great options for all types of people, but there's no doubt that a 4 year degree opens up a whole lot more opportunities in many fields - including golf, business, teaching- than anything else. also, you'll meet tons of new people in college that are your age, people you won't be able to meet at a golfing trade school or anywhere else.

i would recommend going to community college for two years intending to transfer for a BA, and see where you are after two years. who knows if you'll still even like golf? a bunch of my friends did this and i think they thought it was a pretty good choice. nothing's set in stone and you can always just change your mind and sign up for something else if one option doesn't work out, i also have a few friends who decided during college that it wasn't what they wanted.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.