Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: boosting HP
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
polishchacha
[FONT=Impact][SIZE=1]Ok, I have a 95 GT, manual, and want to boost to a more realistic / respectable HP. I want turbo, but as a new owner, not sure which one to get , what is twin turbo confused.gif , can I add an intercooler and nitrous with it confused.gif ? all these questions and more I have, but the main ones are the biggies, do's and don'ts, and what are the limitations, other than $Thanks a bunch. biggrin.gif
Supersprynt
Twin turbo is just that, 2 turbo's, and you can wave that bye bye. An IC is a must for turbo cars, nitrous, in my opinion is like heroin for cars and will ultimately destroy it. If ur looking for a turbo kit, look at Burien its designed for the 6gc but ur going to pay a few thousand. Plus your going to have to rebuild ur engine with upgraded components.
polishchacha
thanks for the info, and I have about 3 to $4,500 to drop on the project, I was just wandering what I can do for that price range.
Pvc99gT
and yea dude, if you want to boost your 205 to its full power, i would suggest getting a 205 in the first place. right now you have an st204. which is a USDM GT. it has the 5S-FE engine. that engine is not the best engine to boost. it can be boosted, but it was not made to be boosted. if you want any serious power out of that engine you will need to replace ALL the internals, and most of those parts simply do not exist. but the most limiting factor is the fact that it has an economy head. most people who are serious and truly want power will throw the stock engine in the pooper in favor of the st205 engine, which is the 3S-GTE. or even the older st185 engine which is just an older version of the 3S-GTE. the beauty of the 3S-GTE engine is that it was made for boost, and it can handle it. there are stories of 800 HP 3S-GTE's and the best part about these stories is that they are true. but even a stock 3S-GTE will beat the crap out of most things on the road. the st185(JDM) has 225 HP, and the st205 has 255 HP. There is tons more info about these engines on this site, just look a lil bit.

you speak of limitations. and REALISTICALLY with a good amount of money put into it the 5S-FE engine could put out around 230 HP, but that is with some major work and a good turbo setup. yes i know there is an MR-2 with 590 HP in a 5S-FE, but he has spent rediculous amount of money. there are NO limitations except for your wallet when we start talking about the 3S-GTE.

if you go with the burien turbo kit, you have about the same startup cost as an st205 front clip. it will just cost more for labor to get it installed, unless you could do an engine swap by yourself.

but realistically it should be between $3-5K to get a 3sgte and get it installed. of course you could get a good deal like many ppl who actually do this swap have and end up paying a lil less, or having some complications and end up paying a lil more. it all has to do with luck.

pretty much the same thing applies with a custom turbo job or the burien kit. if you just want a lil bit of extra oomph but really no rooom to go up, get a custom turbo, but youll regret it if you want to go for more power later. if you can install it yourself, are lucky, and dont mind getting stuff that isnt the best you could put together a nice custom turbo system for like 1.5K. the burien kit has everything and if you have any skill at all you should be able to put it on yourself and it is 2.5K, my personal advice is to do a swap. the most cost effective is of course the st185, but the best of the best is the st205. all depends on how much you wanna pay. hope this helps, and look there is info on what i just said all over these boards.

EDIT: yea dude if you have 3-4.5K then do a swap. and if you are gonna have extra cash to add onto it later, you COULD do twin turbos on a 3S-GTE, if my engine is toasted and i end up gettin a 3S-GTE, i think im gonna see where the world of custom manifolds and dual turbos will take me. but that might be wishful thinking.
Supersprynt
Thats the longest post EVER!

If u got that much money, save a lil more and just do the swap.
DustyBurns30
is it possible to drop a st205 in and keep it FWD? Besides using the 5S trans.

DB

XSTeknique
Yeah, Dustin, another way is to use the E153 (Camry V6/Solara) tranny. But my shop is going to use the ST185 AWD tranny and turn it into FWD. I know some people claim it is impossible, others say it is possible with some powerloss. May be some powerloss, but I'll let you know when it's done. confused.gif All I know is at this point, I've spent a large amount of money and time and can't go fishing for another tranny. Sucks for me I guess.
polishchacha
thanks for the correction, and all the info! I admit it, I'm not too well versed in celica world, but I gotta learn sometime,, thanks a bunch guys, and sorry to read about the engine kaputing on you!!
DustyBurns30
QUOTE (XSTeknique @ Aug 21, 2003 - 6:33 PM)
Yeah, Dustin, another way is to use the E153 (Camry V6/Solara) tranny. But my shop is going to use the ST185 AWD tranny and turn it into FWD. I know some people claim it is impossible, others say it is possible with some powerloss. May be some powerloss, but I'll let you know when it's done. confused.gif All I know is at this point, I've spent a large amount of money and time and can't go fishing for another tranny. Sucks for me I guess.

Power loss? damn, I would have thought you would gain because of less crap to
turn. anyway, I wish i had the problem of finding a tranny for my 3s-gte, i would love to do the swap but i am clueless when it comes to wiring and i dont let shops mess with my car.

good luck tek
DB
Chrobis
Go for an ss-II or ss-III tranny, they really are not to expensive and I believe they have LSD. Toysport had one for $450!
Stipt
Just use a 3sge transmission. It will bolt up fine and you will have fwd. It holds rediculous amount of power and is a nice and easy direct swap, get it for around 350-500 depending where you go.
Pvc99gT
QUOTE (Supersprynt @ Aug 21, 2003 - 4:44 PM)
Thats the longest post EVER!

it wasn't THAT long. and yea i would think the AWD tranny would be able to hold more power, cuz you are pretty much just using half of the tranny. eh. i dunno. might not be able to redirect all the power to the front cuz it'll want to push power to all the wheels, but if your shop says they can do it, shouldnt be a problem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.