Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Backpressure problem maybe?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
CaliJeff
So out of my pcv valve, my catch can has caught an enormous amount of oil/gases and has nearly filled up in just 2 days. out of the top of the lil valve next to the tb, on top of the valve cover next to cylinder 4, gases are coming out of that as well. anybody kno wat is goin on ?

also, earlier this morning, my exhaust was blowing out a lot of smoke, couldnt tell what color it was.
trd94
check your compression, could be blow by caused by bad rings ,or a plugged vacuume hose.
6strngs
are you low on oil? all that oil in your catch can had to have come from somwhere, so I'd keep an eye on that. can you take a picture of the valve you're talking about that has gasses coming out of it? I still don't understand what you're talking about, lol.

also, the hose you plugged is apparently for the "A/C idle-up valve" but it also says it's on california cars only... which confuses me.

overheating could be a lot of stuff. I'm pretty sure the thermostat opens at 180 degrees. but if you tapped your ECT gauge off the upper radiator hose, that's the return to the radiator, meaning the coolant there has already passed over the hot engine so it should be hotter than 180 degrees. if your stock gauge isn't reading higher than halfway, I wouldn't be worried. just check that the level hasn't gone down any.

as for the smoke, I'd check that you don't have oil in your coolant or coolant in your oil. I doubt you have a blown head gasket, but it doesn't hurt to check.
southwest2118
QUOTE(trd94 @ Feb 12, 2008 - 6:47 PM) [snapback]640879[/snapback]

check your compression, could be blow by caused by bad rings ,or a plugged vacuume hose.

yup same thing is going on in my 7afte ... 3 & 4 are out of spec frown.gif
CaliJeff
what u mean they r out of spec?
trd94
QUOTE(southwest2118 @ Feb 12, 2008 - 9:23 PM) [snapback]640907[/snapback]

QUOTE(trd94 @ Feb 12, 2008 - 6:47 PM) [snapback]640879[/snapback]

yup same thing is going on in my 7afte ... 3 & 4 are out of spec frown.gif
mine was heading that way kindasad.gif but not any more . replaced the rings with molly and a new set of bearings i got made in japan for me wink.gif now still waiting on the head to come back after the 5 way valve job new guides and p&p a little. should be good as new. biggrin.gif by out of spec he means that #3&#4 are low compression and #1&#2 are good in compression , maybe a bad headgasket or bad rings.
blckcelica95
QUOTE(CaliJeff @ Feb 13, 2008 - 2:49 AM) [snapback]640923[/snapback]

what u mean they r out of spec?

meaning that cycl. 1,2 are still good and holding compression with in toyota specification 3,4 are out of the compression range . the 5sfe should have a compression of 140- 180. 140 being the lowest it can be . Get a compression test done on your car . It sounds like you either lost a head gasket. or are having some MAJOR blow by.
CaliJeff
this sux cuz i just had the engine get a rebuild about 20k miles ago now.
6strngs
spec is 178 PSI (or more) on all cylinders, a minimum of 142 PSI, and no greater than a 14 PSI difference across the cylinders. but blown piston rings aren't the only reason for low compression. could be loose spark plugs, blown head gasket, stuck or bent valve, etc.

if you don't have a compression checker, I've got a friend who does that would probably let me borrow it.
6strngs
I'm sure you've figured this out already, but it hit me 5 minutes after I left your house that it all points to a blown head gasket. especially the clay colored oil... I don't know why I didn't think of that before.
CaliJeff
So it wasn't a blow head gasket. It was a really clogged up pcv and a SH|T load of blow by.
6strngs
QUOTE(CaliJeff @ Feb 22, 2008 - 9:02 AM) [snapback]644550[/snapback]

So it wasn't a blow head gasket. It was a really clogged up pcv and a SH|T load of blow by.

how sure are you? did you do a compression test?
CaliJeff
yeh. and i took it to a shop.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.