Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 7th generation Celica's
6G Celicas Forums > Other > Off Topic
williamsg4
Hi, does anyone have an opinion on Celica's from year 2000 to 2005?? I'm thinking of getting one in the near future and i was wondering if anyone had driven or owned one.
DEATH
Good cars but reliabilty crashes hard if you drive them hard. Not like the beating a good late model 5S can take.
BTW - This is probably in the wrong section. They'll move it to off-topic.
808celica
yeah it'll be moved or closed......

IMO get 00-01 gt or gts what ever you want.

if going turbo route i would get a GT just my 2 cents......
AzNbOiFrM9i6
oh i love 7th gen celica's probably the best handling car i driven. I perfer 00-01 GTS. No rev limiter:).
bccentaur3
If you're planning on getting a 7th gen celica, make sure you get the 2000-2001 celica gt-s. Lift kicks in at 6000 rpm and takes you to redline at 8400. From 2002 and up its nothing but crap. Reliability wise I hated the 2000 gt-s I owned. At first I loved it when lift kicked in, but theres no torque. Besides the Lift on the gt-s compared to the rsx type s is nothing. The type S has a more smoother transistion and doesnt dip the way the 2zz does. Handleing wise the 7th gen is amazing. I'd get it just for handling, but if you want power look some where else. Look wise too girly. Besides that I had tranny issues and motor issues. To be honest my 6th gen GT has been good to me. No tranny issues, the only real problem would have been the fuel pump, but who cares. I've already upgraded it and getting it ready for boost.
hellsyphon
There is a rev limiter, the only reason why 00-01 GT-Ss are better is because lift kicked in at 6000rpm and had a redline of 8400. 01s had a revised shift gates in attempt to lower the percentage of people misshifting and blowing up the engine.
95st-celica
so wait...this lift a 6000 RPS's is kinda like....i know i hate this anology "V-tec"??....im guessing thats what the vvti is for?
jdg371
VVTL-i

I own a 00 Celica GTS. Lift is a like a $1 whore you want to play with everyday. I had fun with my 97 ST, but my GTS kicks ass.

Yes, there are many problems can arise with the 7GC, tranny issue is the best example. 00-02 Has the "ZOMG Gay peeling sunroof" problem.

-Lift Bolts
-Mis Shift
-Civic Syndrome [The are everywhere!]

Those are the three most hated things about my GTS. Other than that its reliable.
808celica
QUOTE(95st-celica @ Feb 17, 2008 - 5:34 PM) [snapback]642630[/snapback]

so wait...this lift a 6000 RPS's is kinda like....i know i hate this anology "V-tec"??....im guessing thats what the vvti is for?

you mean v-tak laugh.gif

QUOTE(jdg371 @ Feb 17, 2008 - 6:49 PM) [snapback]642647[/snapback]

VVTL-i

I own a 00 Celica GTS. Lift is a like a $1 whore you want to play with everyday. I had fun with my 97 ST, but my GTS kicks ass.

Yes, there are many problems can arise with the 7GC, tranny issue is the best example. 00-02 Has the "ZOMG Gay peeling sunroof" problem.

-Lift Bolts
-Mis Shift
-Civic Syndrome [The are everywhere!]

Those are the three most hated things about my GTS. Other than that its reliable.

i havent heard the civic synd. yet wtf is that??
bccentaur3
QUOTE(hellsyphon @ Feb 17, 2008 - 9:17 PM) [snapback]642622[/snapback]

There is a rev limiter, the only reason why 00-01 GT-Ss are better is because lift kicked in at 6000rpm and had a redline of 8400. 01s had a revised shift gates in attempt to lower the percentage of people misshifting and blowing up the engine.

People are still blowing their trannys regardless of the shift gates. If you want some thing fun, pick up the 02-03 impreza wrx. The price is similiar to the 7th gen gts'. Well atleast compared to the 04-05 ones. You can find the gt-s's from 00-02 for hella cheap in MN.
jdg371
I call it the civic syndrome..

its when you see the car you are driving everywhere! hahaha. I see at least 7-8 7GC on a daily basis, sometimes I think theres more 7GC than civics on the road.

Yea the shiftgate thing is Bull. I have an 02 C60 Trans, and I recently misshifted. BOOM!
yaj19
VVTL-i killed v-tec...then came i-vtec wink.gif

i say go for it...i was sick of putting so much work into a 6th gen so i dipped to the darkside and sided with the 7th gen..it's a nice little nibble car and handles awesome! lift is awesome but dont use it too much! smile.gif
808celica
QUOTE(jdg371 @ Feb 18, 2008 - 5:31 AM) [snapback]642745[/snapback]

I call it the civic syndrome..

its when you see the car you are driving everywhere! hahaha. I see at least 7-8 7GC on a daily basis, sometimes I think theres more 7GC than civics on the road.

Yea the shiftgate thing is Bull. I have an 02 C60 Trans, and I recently misshifted. BOOM!

oh i see know laugh.gif laugh.gif

well let's put it this way........the gen.7 is very very unique in body lines and design.

that's prolly why people like it soo much.

still love my 6gc though it has its pros and cons........

one being chicks love my car biggrin.gif cuz its "one of a kind" laugh.gif

then there is the con mad.gif i have the only 6gc within 40 mins. in both direction in the island so if i make trouble everyone will know its me kindasad.gif
monkey
girly lookin and i believe if bought as a vert, the top isnt made by toyota and leaks.. bad warrenty issues...
808celica
QUOTE(monkey @ Feb 18, 2008 - 8:45 AM) [snapback]642806[/snapback]

girly lookin and i believe if bought as a vert, the top isnt made by toyota and leaks.. bad warrenty issues...

the gen.5 and 6gc verts??? or "if they came vert gen.7??"
DEATH
QUOTE(bccentaur3 @ Feb 17, 2008 - 10:17 PM) [snapback]642621[/snapback]

From 2002 and up its nothing but crap. Reliability wise I hated the 2000 gt-s I owned. At first I loved it when lift kicked in, but theres no torque. Besides the Lift on the gt-s compared to the rsx type s is nothing. Handleing wise the 7th gen is amazing. I'd get it just for handling, but if you want power look some where else. Look wise too girly. Besides that I had tranny issues and motor issues . To be honest my 6th gen GT has been good to me. No tranny issues, the only real problem would have been the fuel pump, but who cares. I've already upgraded it and getting it ready for boost.

Regardless what anyone will say - I see this very often with raced/spritedly driven 7gc's. All I'm gonna say.
monkey
7gc only the top was not made by toyota and the dealership had big warrenty issues with them... and ya, they look hella girly... rather have a 6gc... curvy sexy... mmmmm i gotta change my pants, h/o a sec...
daazndood
the GTS are a ton faster then a 6gc and have much better fuel efficiency.
williamsg4
Thanks guys for your thoughts...Basically I'm hearing that anything above an 01 Celica would be a waste of money because of problems...i would love the 01 GT automatic because of it's fuel efficiency..would that be a good pick?
808celica
what ever you want man. best wishes to you. thumbsup.gif
Kwanza26
All of the people who are "claiming" 7th gens have problems are talking out of their asses. ALL CARS will have problems when they are DRIVEN LIKE CRAP. 7th gens are fine cars, significantly better in terms of performance, handling, fuel economy AND reliability compared to their 6th gen counterparts. Why are the 6gc people here such haters?

FIRST OFF... people's claims. The ONLY reliability claim that has any merit is the lift-bolt issue, which was repaired by 2002 and Toyota did issue a repair notice to all Dealers to replace the bolts at no cost if they have failed. This only happens to cars that have been throughly abused and doesn't happen often to regularly driven cars. Regardless... bolts cost a few cents... replacing them takes 10 minutes if you're half way competent...

SECOND... tranny issues. This is a crap claim. ALL CARS with ****TY DRIVERS can potentially mis-shift and kill a tranny or an engine... especially on motors that can spin near 9000 rpms. The Toyota C60 (7th gen Celica GTS 6 speed) is essentially the same tranny as the C160 (JDM AE111 Levin/Trueno) which is essentially the same tranny as the Toyota C50/C52/C54/C56 (5 speed manual on more cars than I care to count). This tranny has been in production since the mid 80's and is still being used in the new Yaris and Corollas... so what does that say about the reliability of this tranny? No tranny will last very long if you abuse it, but these are definitely some of the better.

Now... that aside... why all of the hate for the 7th gen? It's still a Celica! Is it because the performance engine works like Honda VTEC? You can't claim "torque"... go look at some dynos! Both GT and GTS regularly put down 110-120 ftlbs of torque at the wheels. The 6th gen GT beats this yes... by around 10 ft lbs... however it only beats it under 4500 rpms. The 7th gen GTS makes peak torque at freakin 6000+ rpms. In terms of racing and acceleration... 110-120 ftlbs of torque at 6000 rpms will move a car significantly faster than 120-130 ftlbs at 4500 rpms. When the numbers are this small, the typical stuck up "torque" argument is complete fallacy. If you're going to argue torque... at least be honest about it. 6gc GT makes more torque for stop-go driving (it'll feel faster around town at low speeds). Not for performance high-spirited driving. The 7gc Celicas (namely the GTS) make more torque for high-spirited driving... but can feel flat in terms of daily driving because the motor makes a very flat torque curve.

That's all. Those are the technical facts. Pick something you like and you will enjoy. Most of the people here haven't driven a big variety of cars to their max, or even near it, so they can only spill out the "gospel truth". Not facts.
95st-celica
QUOTE(Kwanza26 @ Feb 18, 2008 - 11:55 PM) [snapback]643027[/snapback]

Both GT and GTS regularly put down 110-120 ftlbs of torque at the wheels.

thats like sayin a GT and a GT...its the same thing...do you know what a GT-s stands for? its for the susspension...all a gt-s is for is for the suspension package and a few badge upgrades...just like a ws6 trans am compared to a regular t/a is basically the same or putting out equal amounts of hp....the GT's are still not that fast imo...from drivin a couple to racin one from 3rd on...i was keepin right up...still i like the style of them...i think it needs another makeover from the back end....nice cars all around but they need a better motor under the hood to back it up

btw....if your thinkin about gettin a car for the kind of money and you want fun and reliable...go with a ls1 camaro...or t/a...meanest, most fun in a car you could possiably have hands down
Kwanza26
QUOTE(95st-celica @ Feb 19, 2008 - 5:07 AM) [snapback]643039[/snapback]

thats like sayin a GT and a GT...its the same thing...do you know what a GT-s stands for? its for the susspension...all a gt-s is for is for the suspension package and a few badge upgrades...just like a ws6 trans am compared to a regular t/a is basically the same or putting out equal amounts of hp....the GT's are still not that fast imo...from drivin a couple to racin one from 3rd on...i was keepin right up...still i like the style of them...i think it needs another makeover from the back end....nice cars all around but they need a better motor under the hood to back it up

btw....if your thinkin about gettin a car for the kind of money and you want fun and reliable...go with a ls1 camaro...or t/a...meanest, most fun in a car you could possiably have hands down

Know what you're talking about before you quote me plz.

7th gen GT = 1ZZFE
7th gen GTS = 2ZZGE

Two DIFFERENT engines and about a 40 horsepower difference.... rolleyes.gif
joehernandez
QUOTE(monkey @ Feb 18, 2008 - 2:08 PM) [snapback]642818[/snapback]

7gc only the top was not made by toyota and the dealership had big warrenty issues with them... and ya, they look hella girly... rather have a 6gc... curvy sexy... mmmmm i gotta change my pants, h/o a sec...

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
at first i had like 10000 dollars before buying a car,,,
i was undecided between a 6gc and a 7th gen,,,,,
i always wanted a 6gc,, so i got it, and i love it!
girls love it,, so i love it still more!!!!!!!
jdg371
I never had a girly comment with my 7GC, but my 6GC, damn it was called cute and girly all the time.

IMO, an opinion will always be biased by what you own. I've owned both. I didn't really add the plus and minuses of both cars, but since this is a "if I get a 7GC" thread i'll just do that.

Good
-Power [GTS]
-Gas Mileage
-Performance Backing
-Less Mileage
-Handling
-Newer [Less issues with age]
-00-02 Has 8400 Rev Limiter [Fastest of the bunch]
-Cable Throttle
Im pretty sure that there are more to add, I just put in what most people see in the 7GC that the 6GC is missing.
-150WHP out of the box.
Bad
-Expensive Engine/Trans
-FWD [Ive been driving a Spyder for a month now, and hella fun for 138hp]
-Prone to Misshift [IMO careless driving]
-03+ DBW [GAY!]
-00-02 Plastic Sunroof
-Prone to being stared at by ricers and cops.

If you want to know any specific about the car, I will gladly inform you and lead you to the right direction.

Rayme
psssss..the GT-S has 40 more HP, 6 speed transmission, fog lights, rear disc brakes and 16" wheels over the GT..and leather if I remember correctly.

They are great car, my friend owns a 2000 gt-s and they are great car to drive, the power is up there in the revs but when you need it, it's just a shift away...and WHAT 4 cylinders doesn't need a downshift to go forward?

They are great cars, and reliable at that too, just don't drive it like a dork and try to impress your little friends.

QUOTE(95st-celica @ Feb 19, 2008 - 1:07 AM) [snapback]643039[/snapback]

95st-celica
QUOTE(Kwanza26 @ Feb 19, 2008 - 12:14 AM) [snapback]643053[/snapback]

7th gen GT = 1ZZFE
7th gen GTS = 2ZZGE

your right...im worng....but this is one of the reasons i got out of the..."import" scene for a while...we are comparing 40 hp like its a huge deal...come on now....if you want somehing fast your gonna wanna go with a V8....maybe you dont like the style of them or whatever but they are very fast cars for the money bone stock....think about it...a stock 01 gt-s is running a 15.5 on a good day at the track....for what you would pay for one of those....why not go out and buy a stock trans am or camaro or mustang for that matter and be runnin low 14's?...i gotta love the honda guys talking about how they are gettin 20 more hp from an intake and stupid s*it like that...it's redicilous and its one of the reason i stayed away from this scene for a while.....i like the celica dont get me wrong....but when we start comparing gt's to Gt-s and saying how much faster the gt-s is caus it has an extra 40 hp is crazy....do yourself a favor and test drive a t/a...then come back and let me know what you think
williamsg4
You are right v8's are fast and very fun to drive for not a crazy amount of money...the only thing is, the fuel efficiency in one of those isnt the best..and as u mentioned, the style factor as well
95st-celica
i love the style of the t/a's and camaros...espically the newer ones...i know everyone isnt going to like them but..if you want fast..for cheap a v8 is the way to go...and gas milage is not that bad....everyone thinks o0o my god its a v8 gas guzzlier and its terriable....i have an 87 camaro and i get great gas milage...its just a matter of how you drive it, the up keep you do on it and stuff like that...highway driving is the best....they use no fuel....unlike a celica that is revin at 4200 rpms doin 80...my camaro would be around 2500 at the most
jdg371
A stock GTS isn't only for a 15.5 1/4mile run....

A FACTORY GTS can achieve high 14s some have even gotten mid 14s. On average bad drivers achieve mid to high 15s. A good driver will acheive a low 15 run.

95st-celica
time slips?..on a stock gt/gt-s im talkin about
Kwanza26
QUOTE(95st-celica @ Feb 20, 2008 - 3:46 AM) [snapback]643469[/snapback]

time slips?..on a stock gt/gt-s im talkin about

http://www.dragtimes.com/Toyota--Celica-Drag-Racing.html

All you've demonstrated so far is that you have no idea what these Celicas are, nor do you understand the concept behind 4 cylinder performance... yet your opinion is still valid and you're still trying to prove a point?

The above link is only a very small sample of stock/stockish 7th gen Celica GTS runs (no GT runs, but they're a second or so slower). There are guys running high-mid 13's on the stock motor with an Apexi power FC. That just says the stock Toyota tune is very mild and doesn't open up the motor. Basically, 1/2 the number of cylinders, less than 1/2 the displacement, but can hang with domestic V8's in the straights, and will straight up murder them in the twisties.

That said... why are you still trying to prove anything? The OP asked a question about 7th gen Celicas... yet you're trying to sell him some cheap V8 that doesn't do anything but go straight? Again... what's your point? You can talk trash about Civics and "20hp" or whatever... but that only demonstrates your ignorance of n/a tuning and power to weight. Sure 20hp may seem like a drop in the bucket to the domestic muscle crowd, but in the import world, we talk about efficiency and power to weight. Any fool can go fast with a V8... but only a select few who know their stuff can build a fast n/a 4 banger.

Oh yeah... i've also retired from the "import" scene... although unlike you... I probably wasn't some guy that jumped on the Fast N' Furious bandwagon. No... I built engines and I raced cars (on the track mind you)... and I do currently drive a V8 thank you very much. A Toyota 5.7...
jdg371
00 Celica GTS - OTS Koni, Toyota Crashbolts, 15x6.5 Slips with 205.50.15 Falken Azenis 615. biggrin.gif

IPB Image
Sh0gunkid8721
QUOTE(95st-celica @ Feb 19, 2008 - 11:44 AM) [snapback]643247[/snapback]

QUOTE(Kwanza26 @ Feb 19, 2008 - 12:14 AM) [snapback]643053[/snapback]

7th gen GT = 1ZZFE
7th gen GTS = 2ZZGE

your right...im worng....but this is one of the reasons i got out of the..."import" scene for a while...we are comparing 40 hp like its a huge deal...come on now....if you want somehing fast your gonna wanna go with a V8....maybe you dont like the style of them or whatever but they are very fast cars for the money bone stock....think about it...a stock 01 gt-s is running a 15.5 on a good day at the track....for what you would pay for one of those....why not go out and buy a stock trans am or camaro or mustang for that matter and be runnin low 14's?...i gotta love the honda guys talking about how they are gettin 20 more hp from an intake and stupid s*it like that...it's redicilous and its one of the reason i stayed away from this scene for a while.....i like the celica dont get me wrong....but when we start comparing gt's to Gt-s and saying how much faster the gt-s is caus it has an extra 40 hp is crazy....do yourself a favor and test drive a t/a...then come back and let me know what you think

I dont think Toyota made Celicas to compete with muscle cars...just give it up man.
joehernandez
wow,,, i think this post is going in a wrong direction
808celica
QUOTE(joehernandez @ Feb 19, 2008 - 9:37 PM) [snapback]643549[/snapback]

wow,,, i think this post is going in a wrong direction

as all off topic posts do laugh.gif
easternpiro1
im in before the lock on this one too! lol

for the record...kwanza you know your $hit bruddah!
Sh0gunkid8721
QUOTE(easternpiro1 @ Feb 20, 2008 - 9:31 PM) [snapback]643909[/snapback]

why lock it? just because 2 people have differences in opinions doesnt mean its a bad thing> nobodys broken any rules and they're arguing in a civilized way so i dont see what the big deal is. let this thread live on.
joehernandez
QUOTE(Sh0gunkid8721 @ Feb 20, 2008 - 11:34 PM) [snapback]643914[/snapback]

QUOTE(easternpiro1 @ Feb 20, 2008 - 9:31 PM) [snapback]643909[/snapback]

why lock it? just because 2 people have differences in opinions doesnt mean its a bad thing> nobodys broken any rules and they're arguing in a civilized way so i dont see what the big deal is. let this thread live on.

You are right, but thats how big arguments start,,,
but you guys can discuss and share your opinions, this is a forum and i thinks it is meant for that
hongkongnerdboy
if two people argue.. most likely its gonna get locked

like the other 34684354 threads
jdg371
Thats mostly when the argument gets very retarted about the topic.

This argument is backed up with facts and not he said she saids. Let it live!

7GC FTW.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.