Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MSD ignition wire set
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
mariosdarkworld
Since its for the 7afe corolla will it fit our 7afe celis sorry if it sounds like a stupid question but im just trying to learn before i spend tongue.gif lol heres the link http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/...QQM4632649.html
revski
yes the MSD Ignition Wire Set - Super Conductor - will work i have in my st biggrin.gif
mariosdarkworld
Ok thanks smile.gif
DEATH
Holy $hit - and for us Gen2 3S-GTE too!:
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/...QQM4632609.html
These are hands down the best wires on the market IMO. I have no idea how well they will perform on our cars but apparantly only the 5S guys are left out [for a change] laugh.gif
alltracman78
Just an FYI, they most likely won't work if you still have the TMIC.
Most of you probably don't, but some might...
DEATH
I don't but you may be able to answer a question I've had - why do the same year 3S-GTE's in MR2T and Celica All-trac have diff Distributer caps? I'm not sure which is which but one has the little clips on the wires like the 5S and the other has a more conventional spark plug style connector. Can you shed some light on this for me?
alltracman78
QUOTE(DEATH @ Feb 26, 2008 - 5:20 PM) [snapback]646169[/snapback]

I don't but you may be able to answer a question I've had - why do the same year 3S-GTE's in MR2T and Celica All-trac have diff Distributer caps? I'm not sure which is which but one has the little clips on the wires like the 5S and the other has a more conventional spark plug style connector. Can you shed some light on this for me?

I would guess an engineering decision.
The clips are the newer style IIRC, and they're more secure than just the push on type.

Toyota revised the Gen II 3SGTE halfway through it's run.
For the Celicas the revision came in 92 [pre revision is 90/91, post revision is 92/93].
Because the 3SGTE was originally a Celica engine, and it came out first with it [the MR2T didn't come out until 91] it got the revison first.
For the MR2T the revision came in 93 [pre is 91/92, post is 93-95 in the US and I believe only 93 for the rest of the world{everyone else got the Gen III in 94}].
The cable ends were only one of a bunch of changes, and just FYI the 5S was revised as well, and so was [some] of the rest of the chassis for both models.

DEATH
I see - thanks. Well as far as I can tell the innards of the cap are identical so since most companies who offer bigger than stock wires [MSD for 1] don't offer provisions for the clips [ie.: the boots are too big] I should get the older spec one so that I can upgrade from stock wires. I may have a source for the TRD wires, inwhich case this would all be a moot point, but someone else on here may find this usefull information and I would like to keep my options open anyway [especially considering I have half of a 8 cyl kit of MSD 8.5mm at the house]
alltracman78
The cap and wires are a matched set.
You can use either "set" with either revision engine [the engine itself isn't any different, it's controls and certain external parts that are different.

And, in actuality, I would guess you could use the MSD wires on either cap.
I don't think the notches on the cap [they're what the clips on the wires "lock" onto] will interfere with any wires, but I don't know that for sure, I've never tried it.
DEATH
I've got the stuff at home to try it out. I'll report back later so maybe this will help someone else down the road.
Thanks for talking this through with me. biggrin.gif
alltracman78
You're welcome smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.