Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help Lost Keys
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
xHiKO
Hey guys i feel like a moron. it wasnt too long ago that i bought my 6th gen -_-.... it only came with one key and i parked it for winter and i misplaced my key. I went to the dealership to see if they could do anything about it. they said they need the key code from the passenger side door lock.

can i get this myself or is it some special thing that only the dealership can get. basically im asking whether or not i am able to take off the paneling on the door and obtain this "key code" by like writing it down or is it some sort of electronic thing that has to be read by some computer the dealership has?
presure2
QUOTE(xHiKO @ Mar 11, 2008 - 8:17 PM) [snapback]652229[/snapback]

Hey guys i feel like a moron. it wasnt too long ago that i bought my 6th gen -_-.... it only came with one key and i parked it for winter and i misplaced my key. I went to the dealership to see if they could do anything about it. they said they need the key code from the passenger side door lock.

can i get this myself or is it some special thing that only the dealership can get. basically im asking whether or not i am able to take off the paneling on the door and obtain this "key code" by like writing it down or is it some sort of electronic thing that has to be read by some computer the dealership has?

well, in order to get the passanger handle out your going to need to get in the car. if you can, you can pull the whole doorhandle out pretty easy, there a handful of screws and 3 clips that hold the doorpanel on, and 2 10mm bolts holding the handle in.
there are 2 "clips" that hold the levers in place for the doorhandle and doorlock, they swing away from the rod, then you pop the rod out.
xHiKO
sweet yah i made sure not to unlock the car just in case i needed to get into the car for something. ok sounds good... i made sure that i went and purchased the Haynes teardown and rebuild manual.

thanx a lot presure2.

ill start working on it right now... anything else i need to know before i do this
rjbibeau
all they need is the vin number and some kind of document that says you own the vehicle such as the title and your drivers license. and they can cut you a key.
xHiKO
QUOTE(rjbibeau @ Mar 12, 2008 - 12:30 AM) [snapback]652239[/snapback]

all they need is the vin number and some kind of document that says you own the vehicle such as the title and your drivers license. and they can cut you a key.

yah i know i took my registration and vin number... im in canada and i purchased my car from the US.... they tried to pull up the key code but it wasnt in the database

what a bummer that was. Then they said that i could take it in and get them to get the passenger side door lock to get the key code but that would cost me 100 bucks and an additional cost to get the keys cut -_-... not to mention i would have to tow it there as well lolz

i said why not save 100 bucks and just do it myself... more money for modifications
RocketScott
Is there any way you could have one of us in the states do it for you? I know it sounds like a hassle but if you could just mail one of us that you trust the registration or something, we could go into a dealer down here and do it.
Batman722
go to a dealer with the vin and registartion, they will cut you a new key.
xHiKO
ok i have taken the panel out of my passenger side door and i see 2 codes on the inside door handle as product ID's XXXXX-XXXXX

are these the codes that i need to get my new keys cut...

for those of you who are just saying that i should take my VIN and registration in i already have done that. The dealership punched them into the computer and they told me that since my car is old the codes are no longer in the database.
njccmd2002
QUOTE(xHiKO @ Mar 12, 2008 - 8:05 PM) [snapback]652853[/snapback]

ok i have taken the panel out of my passenger side door and i see 2 codes on the inside door handle as product ID's XXXXX-XXXXX

are these the codes that i need to get my new keys cut...

for those of you who are just saying that i should take my VIN and registration in i already have done that. The dealership punched them into the computer and they told me that since my car is old the codes are no longer in the database.

go to a junkyard, get the cylynders from the doors, ignition and trunk from a wrecked one, see if anybody is parting out. seems like this is a quick way out..
xHiKO
hmmmm you mean getting new locks... i just need to get keys cut cause i lost mine.
hurley97
they need to refer to a book they should have in the parts dept. they need to look up the key code in the book and match it to another code that tells them how to cut the key.

I work at a Toyota dealer, If you tell me you're VIN I can have them get the code for you.

or since you already have the lock out just take them to the dealer and they should be able to pick out which number is the key code.
xHiKO
QUOTE(presure2 @ Mar 12, 2008 - 12:24 AM) [snapback]652232[/snapback]

QUOTE(xHiKO @ Mar 11, 2008 - 8:17 PM) [snapback]652229[/snapback]

well, in order to get the passanger handle out your going to need to get in the car. if you can, you can pull the whole doorhandle out pretty easy, there a handful of screws and 3 clips that hold the doorpanel on, and 2 10mm bolts holding the handle in.
there are 2 "clips" that hold the levers in place for the doorhandle and doorlock, they swing away from the rod, then you pop the rod out.

nice and success. i have gotten my keys replaced.... started my engine for the first time today ans was sooooooo invigorated. man i cant wait to drive her... thanx for your help.
hongkongnerdboy
be sure to make extra keys.

i got like 6 laying around in case i lose one biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.