Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: shifting problems
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Dragondog
when i try to sift to 2nd or 4 gear it wont lock the stick goes in but the gears r in neutral, even have troubles putting it in reverse, ill try to back up (from a stop) the gears grind and pops it n to neutral.....is this a clutch problem or throw berrings r bushings or tranny? or any
_mikeE
Check your synchros and tranny fluid, my guess.
parriehunter
Could it be the selectors since it sounds like its only 2nd 4th and reverse? I'm only guessing the little i know about transmissions. I don't think it'll be the clutch because it would happen across all the gears and wouldn't just pop out.

What ever it is it doesn't sound nice. I'm guessing its a manual as well.
CustomIce
Oil levels and condition in the gearbox/transmission would be my 1st port of call.
95CelicaST
Pull up the shifter trim piece and look down at the entire shift assembly. Make sure that the two cables are locked in place in the shifter with the big metal clips.

It sounds like that is the problem, since you can get to 1,3,5 (all of the "up" gears) fine, but are having problems with the 2,4,R (all of the "down" gears)
Dragondog
I HAVE THE ASSEMBLY EXPOSED BUT IM NOT THAT GREAT WITH HOW IT ALL SHOULD FIT TOGETHER BUT FROM COMMON SENCE IT ALL LOOKS INPLACE AS FAR AS BEING LOOSE YES IT LOOKS A LITTLE LOOSE, SHOULD IT BE? WHAT IS synchros never heard of it
mneal2_92788
mine did the same thing when one of my shifter cables broke. that may be your problem.
95CelicaST
http://www.6gc.net/photo/howto/62/3 It should look like this
DEATH
QUOTE(95CelicaST @ Mar 12, 2008 - 9:30 AM) [snapback]652599[/snapback]

Pull up the shifter trim piece and look down at the entire shift assembly. Make sure that the two cables are locked in place in the shifter with the big metal clips.

It sounds like that is the problem, since you can get to 1,3,5 (all of the "up" gears) fine, but are having problems with the 2,4,R (all of the "down" gears)

Nice problem solving skills wink.gif
Dragondog
yes 95 it looks just like that the part u have circled is a little loose, should it be?.............and how do i find out if it is cable broken........and again the stick does go into 2,4,R feels a little soft but gears do not i have to work it slowly in order for gears to go in.......ps when im stoped and with out pushing in clutch i cant put stick in 2,4,R....(car is on) but will not move or grind...e brake will be on......
mneal2_92788
you will have to have someone shifting....and look under teh hood towards the tranny. haev them shift into 2,4,R and if it doesnt move at all, its broken. if it moves a little its loose.
95CelicaST
yes 95 it looks just like that the part u have circled is a little loose, should it be?.............and how do i find out if it is cable broken........and again the stick does go into 2,4,R feels a little soft but gears do not i have to work it slowly in order for gears to go in.......ps when im stoped and with out pushing in clutch i cant put stick in 2,4,R....(car is on) but will not move or grind...e brake will be on......

No, those two clips should not move. The entire assembely shouldn't move.

If the tabs are loose take a ratchet and use the side/back of it to pound it back down.
bslik
i have the same exact problem. it goes into 1st 3rd n 5th perfect but 2nd 4th n reverse only go in when they want to or at the exacxt speed it would fall into place, i just checked it and it looks exactly like the picture and i had my dad shift while i look under the hood and it looks all good.

its just that when you try to force it into 2 4 or reverse really hard or fast, it doesnt like it and pops back to neutral
Dragondog
a friend told me that my sycronizer is going out...does this sound right?
toyo6gc
ok i am having the same problem and it sucks really bad. i took the interior off today to check it out and it looks like the shifter cable (i guess thats what its called) where it meets the actual shifter at the bottom is twisted and when ever i turn it back to being striaght it just twist back. Im not sure if thats my problem or what but it just didnt look right to me so that was my first guess. I dont know a thing about transmissions so.
presure2
that definetly sounds like a shifter cable issue.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.