Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Universal Muffler And Oil Type
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
mariosdarkworld
Ok well i was looking at my exhaust system looks like i have two cats. Im guessing idk. Does everyone that owns an st have this weird thing that looks like a cat (sorry not to familiar with them) it goes right after the header. Anyhow i live in AZ so I dont need two I only need one. My question is what is a good size tubing for this vehicle and whats a good but not to loud muffler cause i was thinking MagnaFlow and 2.5 tubing.... Magnaflows pretty inexpensive and i heard it on youtube so i think i may go with that but i am open to suggestions smile.gif
Next question is it says to use 5w-30 on the manufacture specs but this car is old and has 163k so I was told to use 10w30 in the winter and 10w40 in the summer. What are your guys opinion?? sorry, i know i typed alot just thought it was necessary lol biggrin.gif P.S. It gets like 115F here in AZ for normal temp during summer:(
Harold_Fastwaker
I run 10w30 year around in VA. So it sees 15 degrees in the winter and 100tops in the summer.

You have 2 cats in your exhaust. A primary and then a secondary further down in the exhaust. For exhaust sizing i would go with 2.25 unless you plan to turbo your car. Then 2.5 would be in order. However, if 2.25 is a pain to find in the muffler size you want, 2.5 will not hurt anything.

People will tell you that torque will be lost with piping that size. I say who the hell cares, the car already is slow as ****. Not like adding .1 seconds to your traffic jam launch will hurt anything.
jason
i believe all st's are california spec. i may be wrong though. thats why you have 2 cat's

and he's pretty much right on with the exhaust piping.

not much performance will be gained anyway, so might as well just get a muffle put on for sound n looks n call it a day saving $$$

10w 30 of descent quality oil (aka $12+ for a 5qrt bottle, not the $0.30 per quart special) should be good enough. i say get better quality because the cheap stuff burns off and is horrible in heat. dont go with thicker oil as will just strain the pump
mariosdarkworld
Alright thanks! Ive been using valvoline oil the over 75000 one that seemed to wrk great it added a little better throttle response. Does it matter if i go K&N oil filter or is it the same thing as other oil filters. I will be going 2.25 piping though.
GriffGirl
I hear Mobil1 Synthetic is the best thing to use in our cars... currently I'm using Castrol GTX Synthetic Blend, I honestly don't remember if it's 10w30 or 10w40, I wanna say 30 though... anyway, it's been pretty okay, seems to burn off a bit but then again I really need a new valve cover gasket, so I'm sure that's not helping any.

I'm a big proponent of synthetic blends (because they cost a little less than full synthetic) or synthetic in any car that's higher mileage. Generally speaking, just stick with name brands and you should be just fine. Half the crap comes from the same sources anyway I think!
playr158
QUOTE(jason @ Mar 13, 2008 - 2:17 AM) [snapback]653075[/snapback]

i believe all st's are california spec. i may be wrong though. thats why you have 2 cat's

WRONG

Some STs have 1 cat (like mine) + resonator

10w30 mobile 1 is a good oil
Akira_g4
QUOTE(playr158 @ Mar 13, 2008 - 8:44 AM) [snapback]653182[/snapback]

10w30 mobile 1 is a good oil

X1. that's what I use.
As for Universal Muffler, I say go Magnaflow. Love the sound and I have stock pipeing.
Clicky clicky!
GotToyota
For oil, I'd recommend Pennzoil Platinum. It is by far the best shelf synthetic you can buy (with the exception of Royal Purple). I've tried Mobil 1 this oil change, and I have to say it's worse. It seems to burn off more, and my gas mileage dropped. I only used it because Wal Mart as out of the Pennzoil. frown.gif

I'd say stick with Pennzoil. If you want some good info, check out this forum here:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=108

Harold_Fastwaker
QUOTE(GotToyota @ Mar 13, 2008 - 12:14 PM) [snapback]653197[/snapback]

I've tried Mobil 1 this oil change, and I have to say it's worse. It seems to burn off more, and my gas mileage dropped.

You may want to have that checked out. I have run Mobil 1 since the day the car was bought. Which was in 1996. My ST pulls 35+ mpg with very little loss of oil on those changes.
GriffGirl
damn... i only get 28 avg. on my ST kindasad.gif
DEATH
QUOTE(GriffGirl @ Mar 13, 2008 - 4:42 PM) [snapback]653393[/snapback]

Hills and mountains wink.gif
GriffGirl
QUOTE(DEATH @ Mar 13, 2008 - 2:44 PM) [snapback]653395[/snapback]

QUOTE(GriffGirl @ Mar 13, 2008 - 4:42 PM) [snapback]653393[/snapback]

Hills and mountains wink.gif

I live in the valley...stop and go wink.gif
Harold_Fastwaker
I live outside DC. Its all traffic no matter where you are.
GriffGirl
QUOTE(Harold_Fastwaker @ Mar 13, 2008 - 3:11 PM) [snapback]653413[/snapback]

hmm... i grew up outside of DC... I remember that traffic situation pretty well...

question is, how are you getting 35 mpg to your ST? And how can I emulate that!?
Harold_Fastwaker
Learn to drive properly? Lawl

Oil change every 3500 miles. Fuel Injector cleaner every 5k. 87 octane gas all the time for me as well.

I will always average 425 miles per tank min. I drive like a jackass at least half the time with going through all RPMs.
njccmd2002
QUOTE(jason @ Mar 13, 2008 - 2:17 AM) [snapback]653075[/snapback]

Whoa, hold on a second, ive always wanted to know this. the 2 cats is a California requirement?

My car was sold in georgia. but its a convertible, modified in ACP in california, so might it be that i have a california engine specs. I have 2 cats, one mini and one big one....

any other convertible owner have this?

Great, as much as I love california rolleyes.gif ?
playr158
QUOTE(Harold_Fastwaker @ Mar 13, 2008 - 6:11 PM) [snapback]653413[/snapback]

where outside DC are you?
njccmd2002
bringing another from dead:

I found this 6 is for california and 5 is federal. I guess all verts are california. well at least mine is.

so can i replace 6 for 5, since i dont live in cali, would it be a deal? carwise? will it affect my car...

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.