Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Swap Question? Please Help!!
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
94celigts
Hey guys im doing an engine swap this weekend, just 5s for 5s. What I was wondering is will i need to replace engine mounts or anything of that nature. Or really, will I be able to recognize a bad mount? Also I was wondering if anyone had some time if they could maybe make me a short paraphrased process to follow so that I could rip through this with as least trouble as possible. Things to remember, Easiest Process to do things and so on. I tried to find something with search but was not able. I really wanted to do the 3SGTE but this situation came up and i need it done quick and this weekend is the only one i have off. I wish i didnt need my car but i really do. I picked up a 5s with a cracked valve cover and no distributer for 200$ with a 3 month warrenty with 50000km on it. So I was planning on the swap and then put my distributer on it and my valve cover.

Thanks for the help guys. As well maybe a parts list I may need to make it easier too.
Hanyo
i recommend you take your time and label every hose and wire with some tape and a marker so you wont mix up connections.

You can tell if you have bad motor mounts by how your car drives now; Does it make a thump/clunks sound when you change gears or accellerate hard from the start?

Generaly its a good time to replace motor mounts when the engine is out because its so much easier to access. But from what i've seen motor mounts dont break easily. Essentially they are just a block of rubber. So if you don't have problems now dont worry about them.

Since you need your car running i would suggest not doing anything more then what you need to. If you start tearing the motor aparts such as doing a timing belt and seals, it can just lead to more unexpected problems.

I do suggest you replace the rear main crankshaft seal while the motor is out. If this seal fails after the engine is out, it would be a head ache to replace later on.

soulshadow
What I find with those swaps, is that u end up replacing more than just the motor.

Have a little more money aside, and when u take out that motor you will see what has gone bad.
94celigts
is it easier to take out the engine and tranny as a whole to do the swap or just the engine?

Comon guys.... 80+ views and only a couple of comments. I want to get this done over this weekend do you think it will be possible as it will be my first toyota engine?
94celigts
?? bump come on.
Blurr05
It took me more than a weekend to swap my 7AFE but it was also my first and only motor I have ever replaced. I disconnected the tranny from the motor. I'm not sure if you would be able to pull the engine and the tranny out as a whole. I agree with Hanyo and highly recommend replacing your rear main crankshaft seal while the motor is out. I also put in a new clutch and had my flywheel resurfaced since I had the motor out of the way of the tranny. From there I just replaced all my belts gaskets, a few hoses, the thermostat and did the timing. Now she runs great and I have a motor with only 50,000 on it! Good luck!
scothaniel
i recommend you take your time and label every hose and wire with some tape and a marker so you wont mix up connections.
X2

I keep the trans and motor together when removing and installing. Also, I find it easier to remove the engine from below - put a THIN dolly on the ground, drop the engine, then use the cherry picker to lift the front of the car up - using the drivers and passenger side engine mount bolt holes. Then just slide the motor out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.