Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help deciding
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
Kadett
Hey guys,

Lately i've been frustrated about my car, mostly because of the lack of grip this time a year and the stopping power. I was already searching for ways to deal with this. Wider rims/tyres, LSD and BigBrake kit.

But this wouldn't get me anywhere if a break the 300bhp barrier. I took my ride for a spin the other day(very wet) and couldn't keep traction untill 4th gear.

Since a week or 2 there's a completly bonestock red '96 ST205 for sale here with leather interior, ABS, Airco, double airbags etc. With my car sold it wouldn't be much more to buy it. Would be fabulous to drive around corners and grip wouldn't be an issue.

What would you guys do?
99GT
In a heart beat.
joehernandez
if that is going to make u happy, go for it,
like i always say, plus who wouldn't want an ST205!!
Random_Stranger
Are you seriously asking if you should get a gt4? That is like a girl asking me if I want to be orally satisfied. No Question about it! GO for that st205!
Slick
Do it!
_mikeE
I guess you know the answer now...then sell your car or part it out.
bccentaur3
Its a waste of time to part out the car.

Do yourself a favor and sell the car and pick that gt-four up. Who wouldn't want all wheel drive?
goferris
go for it!! connect 4
ok, sorry. i couldn't help it. lol
i would in a heartbeat.
azian_advanced
do it.. swap the goodies from your car with the stock parts on the gt-four.. then sell your car.
Hanyo
GT

GT

GT

+GT
-------
?

you do the math
Jaws4God
"You Can Do It!"

IPB Image
Kadett
Thanks for all replies so far! smile.gif

QUOTE(azian_advanced @ Apr 1, 2008 - 4:14 AM) [snapback]660306[/snapback]

do it.. swap the goodies from your car with the stock parts on the gt-four.. then sell your car.

Of course I would swap over the C-one Strut bar, JDM lights, Aussie Downpipe, TRD shifter and Yelloptop battery. I would leave the ICE(except radio) in the other car since I dont really listen to music that much anymore + added weight laugh.gif .

Probably will test drive it this Saturday.
bccentaur3
Awesome! Let us know the difference. Any pros and cons compared to the fwd celica.
Kadett
Deal is off, didn't even go to the garage to see the four. They clearly stated in the ads the asking price couldn't be lowered. But I could already tell from the pictures the radiator was bad (very light brown/yellow). It had done 110.000 km so the SS supension would be going out any time soon and that would be a minimal of 1500 euro in parts.

So I told them I only want to see/drive the car if the price could be lowered, and they said no. So this saved me a 200 mile trip. Who knows what else could be wrong with the car. The car was imported on 3rd of januari and already on local ebay 6 days after. Its a pure import-rare-car-and-sell-it-for-big-bucks thing.
lagos
get some new tires. the only time ive had traction problems that bad was when my tires were going out on me.
CaliJeff
what is the price they are asking?
Kadett
QUOTE(lagos @ Apr 5, 2008 - 5:15 PM) [snapback]661599[/snapback]

get some new tires. the only time ive had traction problems that bad was when my tires were going out on me.

Tyres still have 4-5mm thread left and already have some of the stickiest road tyres. I dont really have problems in the dry with it (can spin them up to 2nd 5-6k rpm if I want) but thats controllable with your right foot. The problem only really shows itself in the wet/semi-wet. 225 is the max widht I can go with this set of rims. So to go to 235 would mean getting new rims.

If you use the car like a normal person you wont have any problems, but I like to do some 'spirited driving' with the car (we dont have 1/4mile tracks to go too tongue.gif ). Nothing to extravagant and mostly with no-one except myself on the roads.

QUOTE(CaliJeff @ Apr 5, 2008 - 7:00 PM) [snapback]661621[/snapback]

what is the price they are asking?

Well, you have to consider the fact prices of cars here a very high compared to other country's. We have a special car tax that increases the selling price with 60-80 percent. If you take Dollar=Euro. A 30.000 dollar Evo/Impreza costs 50-55.000 here. A 70.000 GTR will costs 120.000 here.

That said, they asked 14.900 for the four. Considering the going price (only 1 GT-four for sale every 10-12months or so) is between 10-15.000 . There was one that was for sale for 7000 but I was stupid then (just had my swap done) and didn't go for it. It had worn out buckets, some surface rust but all in all nothing to much.

But this car had no service history at all (they claimend all Toyota maintained (import bought from private owner?!) , they were stubborn and said it had a LSD (never made for the 185/205) and with the radiator and (probably) suspension issues I just cant justify selling my ride. I could get around 11-12k for my ride, but the four wouldn't be worth more then 13k in its stock-worn state.

Plus it was red, I dont like red unless its an Ferrari.

The most logical thing now would be getting a LSD, still debating if I go for a Toyota diff (like urbandork MR2 Spyder 5spd LSD) or the TRD 1.5 way diff. But I dont know how the latter one holds in normale driving.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.