Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mobile Tattoo Artist
6G Celicas Forums > Other > Off Topic
Havok1997GT
If you saw an add for a Mobile Tattoo Artist would you have them come to your house to tattoo you. Now this artist would be licensed by the state, as well as have heath certification for the equipment they own. Every single piece of equipment that would be used would be purchased from the same vendor that an one working for a tattoo shop would purchase their supplies. Pictures of work would be brought to show talent and skill, as well as the license and health certifications to show proof of professionalism and safety. You would also be able to visit a website to see work and certificates before making a appointment. On top of being able to have the convenience of being in your own home, because the artist is not having to pay for renting the space at a tattoo shop or charge shop prices, the artist would be able to charge 3/4 if not half the price it would cost to have a tattoo done at a shop, while delivering the same quality and safety of a tattoo shop. A good way to visualize this is to think of House Cleaning services or a on call Masseuse, same idea.

This idea was created by me and my wife who is a tattoo artist. She does not want to work at shops because the work is random, uncreative, expensive, and long hours of sitting around hoping for a customer. So we came up with the idea of Mobile Tattoo Artist. So based on the information above please add your name to the poll and if you want please comment on why or why you wouldn't call the Mobile Tattoo Artist.
brthrurik
have used a mobile tattooist, would do it again for the right price, right artist... Only draw back is travel expense and comfortable work space...
Valo666
i wouldnt, personaly, i go to shops, do some research on the artists, check their portfolios, look at tattoos that they have done on people, and then decide if its worth it or not. Plus going to a tattoo shop is a sterile environment, where as your house or where ever is probably alot dirtier then their shop.
lagos
No. Id rather go to someone I know and trust, and who has a store front with a reputation to uphold.
Culpable04
The idea is good, but it would take some time to get the word rollin, a lot of people have a lack of time, whcih force them to go for services like this, but also in cases like this most customers come as a referal from previus customers, most people don't just trust everything they see online, especially to bring a stranger home, but once the reputation has been built, I'm sure it'll work pretty good.
GriffGirl
I think on the surface it sounds like a good idea, but there's a few problems with it. One is that I think that while a lot of states have *regulations* about tattooing, only a very small handful offer an actual license. Or maybe it's licensing to have a tattoo shop. I think that's it. So there's a licensing issue, potentially. Like I know in Oregon and NY you have to have a Shop License to open a shop, but in Washington you don't.

My personal issue with it would be if I needed work re-done, touched up, or whatever, I'd either have to wait a long ass time or go to someone else. I'm real big on customer loyalty, once I find someone I like I'm very loyal. It'd be difficult to do that w/a mobile tattoo artist, and I'd feel uncomfortable going to just any random person in between visits.

Lastly, what about people who want to have large pieces done, like back work or sleeves or something? Being mobile would seriously prohibit this. Unless you were mobile in one locale, rather than traveling from state to state.
Havok1997GT
ok from what im gathering most everyone wouldnt just call a Mobile Tattoo Artist to get work done.

Let me ask this then, If they where recomended by like a friend or family member, would you go for it then?

jason
i think, that if she is high enough up in the chain at the shop, to offer both services, within a 30 min driving range.

ie... someone whos busy checks out the work there, she gives them her card, they call back in a week and ask if she can swing by their place for an hour or so to ink em up. then if they need it touched up, they call on a wednesday for her to swing by thursday after they are done work (say around 6) get it touched up n call it a day.

as stated, i think the reputation will make or break it. so as long as she uses the benefit of the shop, should work out ok.

plus working by appointment instead of walk in, frees up alot of time

she knows she has 5 sittings she has to do in the week, does them and then has the rest of the time to herself, or another part time job.
Havok1997GT
QUOTE(jason @ Apr 21, 2008 - 8:43 PM) [snapback]666826[/snapback]

i think, that if she is high enough up in the chain at the shop, to offer both services, within a 30 min driving range.

ie... someone whos busy checks out the work there, she gives them her card, they call back in a week and ask if she can swing by their place for an hour or so to ink em up. then if they need it touched up, they call on a wednesday for her to swing by thursday after they are done work (say around 6) get it touched up n call it a day.

as stated, i think the reputation will make or break it. so as long as she uses the benefit of the shop, should work out ok.

plus working by appointment instead of walk in, frees up alot of time

she knows she has 5 sittings she has to do in the week, does them and then has the rest of the time to herself, or another part time job.

this is the idea. You hit the nail on the head.
jason
i dont see a problem with that at all, just an added convenience. only thing that may come up is the shop's owner may get pissed at her stealing some business. and i see it pointless for her to do all that then charge them through the shop. lessens her gains
Havok1997GT
QUOTE(jason @ Apr 21, 2008 - 10:29 PM) [snapback]666883[/snapback]

i dont see a problem with that at all, just an added convenience. only thing that may come up is the shop's owner may get pissed at her stealing some business. and i see it pointless for her to do all that then charge them through the shop. lessens her gains

no she wouldnt be working for a shop, but she would have the license and Heath code certificate that a shop would have, like she was starting her own shop only its Mobile. The way you chould see her work and Certifications would be like through a Myspace or a web site
D-Man
you'd need a big ass Mystery-Machine Style Van laugh.gif

Run tat's out the back wink.gif show up at raves, keggers, collage parties, ect. biggrin.gif

Then just take calls mon-fri, you'd be rich as hell laugh.gif

So uh, whats the number? I'm having a get-together tonight, and entertainment came down between bowling, movies, or tats... laugh.gif
njccmd2002
how would you claim warranty?
Havok1997GT
QUOTE(njccmd2002 @ Apr 22, 2008 - 12:28 PM) [snapback]667059[/snapback]

how would you claim warranty?

? huh? No tattoo Shop has warrenty on their work, thats really half the problem with a lot of shops is that you run the risk of the artist sucking and messing you up, then you have to pay again to either have it touched up, redone, or whatever and normally its about as expensive as the tattoo was.

the Health code Certification shows that the equipment she uses is safe, and actually she has been thinking of having a kinda warrenty since no shops do that on the work she does, but the thing with that is that allows people to be stupid and like no clean it, swin while its still healing, things like that, and then you have poeple calling back saying that you screwed up when they are the ones that did, now you have to honor a warrenty that you shouldnt have to be. its tricky. so if she was to do that she would need to word it right and make sure it was explained correctly so avoid any bull sh!t.
D-Man
hit em with the paperwork like the insurance company. Have so many pre-check processes that it's damn near unfeasible to get laugh.gif

Aaron will know if she's done a bad job on someone, and she'd know to expect a call from them. and that would be the one you'd wanna honer, (then get a testimony laugh.gif )

I dont think she'd fcuk it up in the first place, but "hypotheticaly" she did, you'd have to have a paper or something the coustomer has signed constituting what is applicable for a "redo" or "touch-up" otherwise, offer free Cutting torches to the tat for removal. laugh.gif

Make em sign a waiver to not bitch later when the work is finished and satisfactory on the spot biggrin.gif
massbrandon
I actually got two of my tattoos done by a guy that was hosting a "tattoo party" in a hotel room. He was my buddie's brother (not just some random dude). The guy was awesome. He drove down to California just to do our tats after coming back from Iraq. Supposedly he took second in a national tattoo contest for portraits. This dude was sick. But yeah, I would definitely go to another mobile tattoo artist.
mneal2_92788
i would be in, if all was right, and was reputable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.