Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cheap manual
6G Celicas Forums > Other > Off Topic
96bluevert
Lately I've been thinking about how much I would like a manual. I was contemplating buying a cheap ($500-$1000) older, reliable car to take out every once in a while so I can eventually get used to driving manual. I was looking at late 80's-early90's Honda Civics/Accords or Toyota Celica/Corrola/Camry, since Honda and Toyota are really my most trusted car companies when it comes to older and cheaper vehicles. Basically, I don't car about how the exterior would look, just so long as it ran well, had decent miles on it (<200k) and didn't need much extra repairs. I have thought about a swap, but that takes more time than I'd like..the celi IS my dd.

The whole reason I am looking into a cheaper car w/ manual so I can practice is b/c I figure eventually I am going to buy another car ( sometime after the celi) that is manual and I don't really want that to be my practice car since I plan on it being something nice.

opinions are appreciated..thnks
D-Man
you dont know how to drive manual? It's easy wink.gif

but you would have to practice first. I say go for it. Just remember every clutch is different. but like ridding a bike, once you got the concept down, all you gotta do is balance wink.gif
96bluevert
I KNOW how to, just havn't had much practice. Drove my friend's S10 in a parking lot for like 20 min, but that's not enouph to get used to it. Plus I never went past 2nd gear or in reverse and also it was in a parking lot, the road is where it matters smile.gif
DEATH
QUOTE(96bluevert @ Apr 25, 2008 - 10:09 AM) [snapback]668021[/snapback]

I KNOW how to, just havn't had much practice. Drove my friend's S10 in a parking lot for like 20 min, but that's not enouph to get used to it. Plus I never went past 2nd gear or in reverse and also it was in a parking lot, the road is where it matters smile.gif

True - especially since you live in a place with hills/mountains [presumably - Washington State after all]
96bluevert
yeah, lots of hills..it sucks lol
njccmd2002
QUOTE(96bluevert @ Apr 25, 2008 - 11:48 AM) [snapback]668045[/snapback]

if 1000 what you have, swap the tranny in your vert. biggrin.gif

or if not, get an older toyota model, like tercel, corolla, or carina or paseo. Paseos are super cheap.

ILuvMyCelica95
QUOTE(njccmd2002 @ Apr 25, 2008 - 1:56 PM) [snapback]668095[/snapback]
QUOTE(96bluevert @ Apr 25, 2008 - 11:48 AM) [snapback]668045[/snapback]

if 1000 what you have, swap the tranny in your vert. biggrin.gif

or if not, get an older toyota model, like tercel, corolla, or carina or paseo. Paseos are super cheap.

exactly- why not just swap your celica to manual smile.gif

D-Man
well if he does a swap- then he'd be fcuked till he got it down. Especialy with the slopes and Mountains, and those can be tricky for beginers.

Although it would be cost efficient.
jason
i dunno, if you can pull out, that most the trouble. shifting gears is easy, its just the pulling out. and that changes from clutch to clutch. if you have a heavy car with a strong clutch its gonna be hard, if you have a lite car with a mushy clutch its going to be easy.

if you can pull out in a friends car without much thought or focus (like fluently engaged in a conversation) then i think you'll be fine with a new car or a swap in your celica
96bluevert
True, it might be cheaper to just get a manual to swap into the celica, but I'm not even sure I'm going to do an auto to manual swap w/ this car. So, I'd kind of rather get something else cheap that I can own for a while then sell it in year or two for like half what I bought it for. I'm looking at the Tercels and Paseo's right now..one for $600, but will keep searching.

thnks for the input.
jason
i think paseo's are cooler =)
D-Man
QUOTE(96bluevert @ Apr 25, 2008 - 2:29 PM) [snapback]668128[/snapback]

True, it might be cheaper to just get a manual to swap into the celica, but I'm not even sure I'm going to do an auto to manual swap w/ this car. So, I'd kind of rather get something else cheap that I can own for a while then sell it in year or two for like half what I bought it for. I'm looking at the Tercels and Paseo's right now..one for $600, but will keep searching.

thnks for the input.

then pay for me a Manuel swap. rolleyes.gif duh, see your decision isn't so hard after all. tongue.gif
96bluevert
QUOTE(D-Man @ Apr 25, 2008 - 12:57 PM) [snapback]668139[/snapback]

then pay for me a Manuel swap. rolleyes.gif duh, see your decision isn't so hard after all. tongue.gif

Alright, you take paypal? lol

seriously though, I'm thinking about seeing if my friend will just sell the S10 for really cheap (seeing how it's pretty beat up, he has a different car now, and the engine isn't going to last more than a couple more years..I think the tranny is starting to go too). But keeping my eyes on CL for deals.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.