Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: idle problem!
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
tonytutino
so i just replaced my intake manifold allen-head screws and now my car doesn't want to idle. the RPM's just keep dropping when the clutch is engaged. and the crazy thing is if i loosen the screws (just one in particular), the engine doesn't bog down or anything and just runs normal BUT it makes a horrible loud whining noise from the screw hole. i didn't know the amount of torque on those had anything to do with airflow. and only the one closest to the driver side firewall seems to control it. this is out of my hands and i have no idea what is wrong.

also, while at idle, a thump can be felt and the rpms drop a couple hundred then pop right back up. it seems to have a correlation with the tightness of the screws as well. i dont get this at all.

anyone know anything about this? thanks i really need the help -Tony T
njccmd2002
have you tried reseting the ecu. maybe since you changed the o rings, now its not leaking fuel and you have to reset to have the car learn its new paramenters. IDK
tonytutino
just tried that man, didn't work. what i've noticed is if i turn on the car and just let it idle its fine. but the second i give it gas and let it idle again, thats when it starts bogging down.
however, now the rpms wont drop enough to kill the engine.
its sitting at about 750 on idle. BUT the problem feels like minor little mis-fires. and they just keep getting worse. it sounds like little pops and the RPMS sink then perk back up. it used to just be once every few seconds, now its just really frequent. ugh.
LeonStryfe
QUOTE(tonytutino @ Apr 30, 2008 - 8:03 PM) [snapback]669701[/snapback]

just tried that man, didn't work. what i've noticed is if i turn on the car and just let it idle its fine. but the second i give it gas and let it idle again, thats when it starts bogging down.
however, now the rpms wont drop enough to kill the engine.
its sitting at about 750 on idle. BUT the problem feels like minor little mis-fires. and they just keep getting worse. it sounds like little pops and the RPMS sink then perk back up. it used to just be once every few seconds, now its just really frequent. ugh.

IAC problem?
tonytutino
well it kind of fixed itself in terms of the RPM's dropping. it runs and drives fine now, i tried to reset the ECU again and i guess that did it the second time.

BUT i'm still wondering what those little ''pop'' sounds are when i'm idling. its really bugging me. i might try to make a video tonight or something to help describe it better.
rjbibeau
my g/f's 3sgte is doing the same thing...i figured in was plugs but we put new ones in and nothing changed. it idles at 1200 when warm when it's supposed to be at 800. i'm thinking it may be the iacv as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.