Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Timing Issue
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
supra12big
hi, I have a question, when i did/do my timing, when its in diagnostics mode, its set to exaclty 10, then when i turn off the car, and disconect the diagnostic clip, and turn it back on the timing is at around 13, what is the matter or is that just normal?
alltracman78
Normal

Putting the ECU in check mode sets timing to base advance.

When the engine is running normally the ECU adjusts off base advance, depending on conditions.
supra12big
well is something worng then if its 13 when running off, shouldn't it be at 10 as well?
lagos
no, thats how its supposed to be.
supra12big
thanks
Dragondog
ok so if u set it to 10 then it jumps to 13 is it set for 10 or 13?...and how do u set it to 20 my marks only say 0 5 10 15

i set mine to 15 in diag. then it jumped down to to like 12 or whatever in normal .....is it normal to jump down...supra12 jumped up
lagos
What you are setting is BASE TIMING. It will be set to whatever number you set with te and e1 jumped.
You shoud NEVER try to run 20deg of base timing. Its a good way to damage your motor.
Dragondog
ok now im learning......thats what keept confusing me so if i wanna go 15 i would set it to 15 with te e1 jumped. then in normal idal it will move but it will still be set to 15 right....i dont wanna set it to 20 i just wanna know how some r doing it?......but then if i take it to a shop and hey check timing isnt it gonna show wrong? r will they know to jump te e1....r am i just a confused guy...hence i set it 15 while te e1 jumped then in normal idal its 12....(is it still set to 15?)

my timing was at 5...then set to 15

Hopefully, you gain some mad horsepower so you can beat Civic Si's, but I doubt that'll be the case. I read that adding 1º of advance produces 2 horsepower to the wheels. Of course, this is only a guideline, and it varies from car to car.
a quote...from a web site...so that means i gained 20 whp?

if i want it to be 15 timing should i set base higher then 15 then run idal normal to see adjust timing. and tweek base timing till i get it to 15 ADJUSTED TIMING?...r should base never go up that high?
DEATH
This is pretty much why I told you in the other thread to leave the timing alone until you understand more about it. You need to do all the reading you can and then maybe you'll be left with just a few questions and will have a better understanding why advancing the timing too much is a bad idea.
Dragondog
i know and i took it into concideration and read but i never read anything bout base and adjusted timing r even te e1 jumping for timing...every1 only talks bout 5 10 12 15 20 22.......octain richness...and bad idal above 15-16deg. timing...so i had to carefuly experince it myself and now i know this much more i have the questions to further myself..and i know the concept of what happens if the timing of the sparks r off such as a early spark r a late spark and then too much compression with the wrong octain cause a early ignight and misfire and so on...now im just trying to learn bout base and adjusted timing....how they differ
DEATH
Basically base timing is the setup used for intitial startup and as basis for all the calculations it does based on conditions. The if the ECU decides that conditions are right it will advance it a little more [Hence your 13], if it decides that somethings not quite right it will retard it.
So If you just want bragging rights - you say you have your car advanced to the base timing you set [regardless of where it may actually be running ATM]
Dragondog
so setting mine to 15 base...is what i go by..not the outcome.......when i set mine 15 base and the adjusted is 12 13....thats means the ecu retards it?.....and in supra12 case the ecu advanced it?..the tally marks between 0 5 10 15 what numbers do the represent?...there not spaced evenly and there is not 4 inbetween so its not like counting a clock
supra12big
no, i set my base timing to 10, after i took it out f diag. mode the computer then adjusts back and forth to what it needs to, thats why it jumps from 12,13,15 and so on
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.