Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what car would you get
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
Celica94GT
well im trying to sell my celica for around 8 grand, but i will prolly get less then that. i want something new with less miles and faster, thoughts that have come to mind are a 97 and up prelude, 300zx, supra (if i get reallly lucky and find one but i doubt that, mr2 turbo, i dunno, i just cant think. please give me any suggestions you guys have, i love hearing all you input. thanks.

-ben
Coomer
Out of the cars you mentioned, I'd look for a Z32 300ZX TT, but I have a feeling that a low-miles one in good condition would cost more than $14,000. '97 and up Preludes are ok, but lots of people have them and they're pretty heavy cars.

If you're talking about a MKIV Supra, good luck. I don't think there's any way you'd find a nice condition TT for under $14,000.

A second generation MR2 Turbo would be sweet. With $14,000, you could find a nice one I'm sure. That's probably one of the top cars that I'd want for under $14,000.

If you give us more insight as to exactly what kind of car you want, we can probably give you some better suggestions.
Celica94GT
well like i said, im just tryin to find something faster, maybe around the 175+ hp range. and something with less miles, i mean i love my celica but the thing is its got 130k miles on it and i think i will get alot more money the soonder i sold it as apposed to it racking up more miles. and i know there are alot of people with preludes but i really like the 97 and up model, although i dont know much about them, im sure there are plenty of mods you can do to make them fast. also are they a couple different engines that they come with like vtech vs. non vtech or what. i would love a 91-95 mr2 turbo also, beautiful car, its just that they are hard to find since i live in RI, not many people are into cars, the sport is growing though. if anyone know anyone near the RI area who is lookin for a 6th gen celica, let me know, thanks.
Coomer
I think that the fifth generation Preludes are all powered by 2.2 liter H22A engines, which have VTEC. This engine puts out 200 horsepower in the 5-speed versions of this generation of Prelude I think.

I'd definitely look for the MR2 Turbo over a fifth generation Prelude. smile.gif Have you checked Autotrader and local newspapers and places like that to look for one?

By the way, it's going to be very tough to sell your car with 130,000 miles for $8,000, even though sixth generation Celicas are rare and desired by lots of people.
Sh0gunkid8721
96+ Nissan 240SX
blkGT
QUOTE (Sh0gunkid8721 @ Sep 5, 2003 - 12:22 PM)
96+ Nissan 240SX

yup, you could get a newer nicer 240 for the price of an older 300
Cragspider
I would have to agree with Sh0gunkid8721 on this. Get you a 95 or up 240 and then with the rest of the money that your wanting to spend you could swap in a black top SR20 into it.
Bryan
Andason
probably a 7GC GTS
Celica94GT
well i dont want to have to do any engine swapping, theres not many shops around here that are into all the import stuff, i didnt think about a 7th gen gts with action package but i thought that would be to expensive, i would love a 6th gen gt4 but there just so rare. there not many cars around the RI area that i like.
Drunken_Style
91-95 MR2 Turbo
5sfeTurbo
Hook up a street bike and get some cheap honda. then you could say goodbye to all those ricers. I love bikes but not as much as the sleek style of a super white 97 celica GT. Nah but an MR2 worth a shot or Integra GSR and GS-T Eclipse. Those eclipses respond nicley to mods. Plus there are an infinite amount of parts.
FallenHero
www.xatracing.com

Learn to love them.

They do great things with 240's, and 14k will get you an evil car to say the least.

Jon
97sccelica
2nd gen eclipse gsx. closest thing to a celica GT4/alltrac
hioctane
7th GEN GTS 'cause it's faster than the GSR according to sport compact car and consumer guide recommends it. You can't go wrong with a 7 gen gts celica. Oh yeah the prelude weighs like 3000 lbs! The 7th gen gts is also faster than the prelude according to sport car compact.
Matthew
yea i would say go with a 97-99 eclipse GS-T or GSX. get a 1st gen 6 bolt engine and swap it. no crankwalk or anything. those engines are as strong as 3s-gte's. it should cost you about 10K for all that if you look around. dont pay attention to miles because you will be swapping the motor anyway.

I have a 97 GS-T and its way faster than I thought it would be even stock.

Now I have recently gotten it dyno'ed and its at 324 whp and 316 lb. ft or torque. thats only with a new turbo kit, exhuast, and fmic. about 5K all together.
Celica94GT
i would like to get an eclipse but i heard they have alot of problems, do you think i could find a 7th gen celica gts with action package for a good price?
SXR
Too much to read. But as a 300ZX owner there not that expensive and the engine is easy to work on, provided you know what your doing. And new turbo(s) aren't that hard to get a hold of just finding someone to put them in and always get bigger ones. wink.gif
THEY CAN BE EXPENSIVE but so can all cars. frown.gif

Also with an import expect cops to target you. mad.gif

Why the 300ZX is so natourious for average machanics. The engine was built and a body around it, not the body then the engine. Its very compact and small for it's size/capacity of power. smile.gif
FallenHero
I don't know if you will get one with the action package, but you can buy them cheap from newcelica.org.

Jon
Celica94GT
are 6 speed gts's hard to find? i would love one with the action package.
Cody
QUOTE (SXR @ Sep 6, 2003 - 8:28 AM)
Too much to read. But as a 300ZX owner there not that expensive and the engine is easy to work on, provided you know what your doing. And new turbo(s) aren't that hard to get a hold of just finding someone to put them in and always get bigger ones. wink.gif
THEY CAN BE EXPENSIVE but so can all cars. frown.gif

Why the 300ZX is so natourious for average machanics. The engine was built and a body around it, not the body then the engine. Its very compact and small for it's size/capacity of power. smile.gif

Have you replaced your turbos yet?
FireinDC
Get a Mazda RX-7 now thats a machine...
Cody
Heh, I'd get rid of that 13B though and put in a V-8. More reliable that way.
Seth6Gen
Subaru 2.5rs + Turbo = AWD MURDER!

or VW GTI VR6 + Turbo...
Matthew
no way you would get a decent RX-7 under 14K
Matthew
QUOTE (Celica94GT @ Sep 6, 2003 - 9:10 AM)
i would like to get an eclipse but i heard they have alot of problems, do you think i could find a 7th gen celica gts with action package for a good price?

the only problems they have is the crankwalk

but you can buy a 1st gen engine off of dsmtuners.com or dsmtraders for like 400 bucks and swap it in like a new engine...its bolts right up.

those engines are strong as hell.
FireinDC
QUOTE (GT2GT4 @ Sep 7, 2003 - 1:57 AM)
no way you would get a decent RX-7 under 14K

i could of like twice, my dads a mechanic and since the tt blew they woulda hooked me up under 10,000 and i coulda got aftermarket turbo, but im poor
Phr0z3n664
Do it old school =P hatchback 240sx!!!!!
nice s13, tranny, JDM LSD, and a boost controller
celicakid84
id get a WRX
Matthew
that would be like exactly at 14K

if you went lower they would be crappy.
PhoenixDownVII
QUOTE (Cody @ Sep 7, 2003 - 2:26 AM)
Heh, I'd get rid of that 13B though and put in a V-8. More reliable that way.

Ahhh the typical ignorant answer.

I'm about to buy an FD (Rx7 for those that don't know)

And my setup should bring in 320-350rwhp on stock twins.
Problem with the rotary is: Gasp, you have to KNOW YOUR CAR!

I've seen plenty run off of stock twins for upwards of 100k, and who cares if it doesn't go 200k? Who would want to drive around a 200k performance motor? I wouldn't!

As for price, GT2GT4, I am buying $7k blown, and the rebuild is at MOST $7k (thats if I don't do the labor, which I will). So for under $14k I'll have a street ported FD SUPERCAR.

Please, if you are going to say anything about Rx7's, please research first. The first problem with them are "generalizations". They are one of the best cars ever made IMO. And there's no reason to drop the Rotary engine for a V-8.

As for the original question:

I don't know if you know, but the Prelude doesn't/can't/will not/never will compare to any of the RWD Turbo monsters you are listing. That is like Fire and Ice. Apples to oranges. But being you want either or, I'd say go with Prelude. RWD Turbo cars are much more fun, much more responsive to mods, but it also means you have to know a BIT of what you are doing (not nearly like the rotary to a degree), and they are the beginning of true road performance. Haven't you ever felt the horrible understeer of a FWD car?

But, in all honesty, if you want to step foot into a realm of handling, speed, rarity, and "Different"....Get the Mr2...the best candidate for under $14k. Reliable, beautiful, rare, awesome Mr2 club ( I was in it for a year now with my MKII Turbo and MKI NA wink.gif

Good luck.
SXR
QUOTE (Cody @ Sep 6, 2003 - 6:56 PM)
QUOTE (SXR @ Sep 6, 2003 - 8:28 AM)
Too much to read.  But as a 300ZX owner there not that expensive and the engine is easy to work on, provided you know what your doing.  And new turbo(s) aren't that hard to get a hold of just finding someone to put them in and always get bigger ones.  wink.gif
THEY CAN BE EXPENSIVE but so can all cars.  frown.gif

Why the 300ZX is so natourious for average machanics.  The engine was built and a body around it, not the body then the engine.  Its very compact and small for it's size/capacity of power. smile.gif

Have you replaced your turbos yet?

The Original Engine blew up when the previous owner hit a rock and punched an important hose. So the 1990 (112,000km) Chassis has a 1996 motor it with 58,000km on it, still got plently in it. The motor sport fellow who I bought it off has been doing Turbo(s) for the last 15 yrs so when the new motor arrived he bored the turbos out a little so they can run it on higher psi safely. I shall also be replacing that hose with stainless steel. smile.gif

And to directly answer that question. Not likely I'm a computer geek, I hire the same guy as above to do my mods. Quality cames with a price and it's my range. tongue.gif

But the best two ways and only two ways to change the turbo is lift one side with a jack then the other or just pull the whole engine out. frown.gif
FallenHero
QUOTE (PhoenixDownVII @ Sep 11, 2003 - 5:43 PM)
QUOTE (Cody @ Sep 7, 2003 - 2:26 AM)
Heh, I'd get rid of that 13B though and put in a V-8.  More reliable that way.

Ahhh the typical ignorant answer.

I'm about to buy an FD (Rx7 for those that don't know)

And my setup should bring in 320-350rwhp on stock twins.
Problem with the rotary is: Gasp, you have to KNOW YOUR CAR!

I've seen plenty run off of stock twins for upwards of 100k, and who cares if it doesn't go 200k? Who would want to drive around a 200k performance motor? I wouldn't!

As for price, GT2GT4, I am buying $7k blown, and the rebuild is at MOST $7k (thats if I don't do the labor, which I will). So for under $14k I'll have a street ported FD SUPERCAR.

Please, if you are going to say anything about Rx7's, please research first. The first problem with them are "generalizations". They are one of the best cars ever made IMO. And there's no reason to drop the Rotary engine for a V-8.

As for the original question:

I don't know if you know, but the Prelude doesn't/can't/will not/never will compare to any of the RWD Turbo monsters you are listing. That is like Fire and Ice. Apples to oranges. But being you want either or, I'd say go with Prelude. RWD Turbo cars are much more fun, much more responsive to mods, but it also means you have to know a BIT of what you are doing (not nearly like the rotary to a degree), and they are the beginning of true road performance. Haven't you ever felt the horrible understeer of a FWD car?

But, in all honesty, if you want to step foot into a realm of handling, speed, rarity, and "Different"....Get the Mr2...the best candidate for under $14k. Reliable, beautiful, rare, awesome Mr2 club ( I was in it for a year now with my MKII Turbo and MKI NA wink.gif

Good luck.

Maybe he's thinking of the old school 280Z cars. You can drop a GM small block in with no problem, and have one of the best all out road race cars ever. The weight distribution is almost a perfect 50\50,or so I've read. (I was originally a Domestic guy by the way.)

Jon
Cody
Well, the Zs too. But rotaries are high maintenance - you don't watch it, and the rotor seals will go, and some poor Mazda technician will have to rip your engine apart to replace them. But like you say, I know nothing about RX-7s. I've read a couple books on rotary engines, but I have no experience with them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.