Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how to adjust shift cables?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
CELL_PROTOTYPE_X
I'm having a little trouble shifting gears and am wondering how to adjust my cables. Any advice is appreciated smile.gif THANKS!
supra12big
if ur having trouble shifting its most likely not your shifter cables, check all the connections on them, make sure brackets are being held in place, and lube them up.
njccmd2002
i have read in another forum that the ends of the shifter cables have rubber, and that sometimes this makes it difficult to shift. Some have tried like copper or aluminum inserts to help with shifting. Now i dont know if this is ok.

If you have trouble with shifting, maybe the aux clutch cilinder is acting up on you, it might need relacement, altough this is not my area of expertise.
Kwanza26
Shift cables aren't the first thing you should consider if you're having problems shifting. It's typically the last...
CELL_PROTOTYPE_X
Well the clutch is brand new so I don't think it's that kindasad.gif What are some other things I should be considering? Thanks for all you input.
Cuts_the_Pilot
2 things that will cause this.
one is the shifting cables arnt anchored anymore, most likely in the engine bay, get someone to smash it through the sprockets as you watch the cables in the engine bay. If the outside of the cable moves then re anchor it and you will be laughing.

if its not that check the shifter bushes, there is the metal ring, then rubber on the inside, then brass sheath on the inside. Then that slides over on a pin on the linkage on the gearbox. The rubber gets soft and the brass wears oval (insted of round obviously)

Racing beat make bushes for the shifters, which i would assume are the same as the gtfour. The 205's have two equal sized bushes and the 185 have one large and one small. Might be harder to get to them with your steering arms and brake booster etc on the wrong side of the engine bay tongue.gif hehe.

EDIT: i made my own solid bush from bronze impregnated teflon and did away with the rubber and brass sheath altogther. The differance is crazy, not harsh at all.
do it...do it now.
CELL_PROTOTYPE_X
Thanks for the input! I'll take a look. I see speed-source.net sells bushing kits. Anyone purchase these before? I'm not 100 % sure whether I need to get the regular or BIG kit for toyota. I have st205 cables and an mr2 tranny. I can just email speed source if know one knows. Thanks for all the help!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.