Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: lack of knock sensor on 5S-FE
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
Smaay
so those of you with 5S-FTE's how do you monitor knock while tuning and every day driving?
Batman722
all 94-99 5sfes have a knock sensor
the earlier 5s (5th gen) do not

QUOTE (Smaay @ Jun 16, 2008 - 11:55 AM) *
so those of you with 5S-FTE's how do you monitor knock while tuning and every day driving?

Smaay
ah good to know, thanks
DEATH
OK Batman but can the 94-95's [OBD-I] pull timing back to correct for knock the way the OBD-II's do?
this is relavent to a 5S-FTE I'm assisting with the build on. My old OBD-II Celica did of course and I'm hoping this OBD-I car will as well. I know it's no substitute for a good tune but it's nice as a backup.
alltracman78
Has nothing to do with OBDI or II.
If it has a knock sensor it can [and will] pull timing if it senses knock.
That's the purpose of the sensor. smile.gif

QUOTE (Batman722 @ Jun 16, 2008 - 12:03 PM) *
all 94-99 5sfes have a knock sensor
the earlier 5s (5th gen) do not

5th Gens do also.
92 and later 5SFEs have a knock sensor.

DEATH
Thanks Alltracman. I was aware that OBD had nothing to do with it but I did know that the ECU's handle timing differently [Try changing your base timing on both and keep the light on for a few minutes afterwards and you will see what I mean] so I wasn't sure if it was within the capabilities of the older ECUs.
Makes sense tho - what would it need the knock sensor for if it had no way to use it's output.
alltracman78
OBDII won't let you change your base timing, it will adjust back because it has a crank sensor.
DEATH
I knew you knew that laugh.gif But I was just explaining my reason for double checking.
Smaay
more good info, hopefully my little project will go smooth
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.