Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Importing a GT-4...In 2009... ?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
Legit94GT
So 2009 marks 15 years after 1994(i know i am good at math biggrin.gif)
With that said i know that there is a 15 year law in regards to importing cars, and something along the lines like after 15 years you can import cars with out having to get them crash tested for saftey standards. But i have searched this forum and the web and am having a hard time finding EXACTLY how the law is writen, and what it entails, even on the US Customs site:/ Most sites are vauge and not really informative:(

Does anybody know? or have a link to a website with the proper information?

Much thanks to those who help:)
hurley97
According to the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration it's 25 years as found in the "Vehicle Importation Guidelines (non-Canadian)" link found on the NHTSA site here: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/RULES/IMPORT/

As a general rule, a motor vehicle less than 25 years old must comply with all applicable Federal
motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS) to be imported on a permanent basis
GTSOwner
You're confusing US law with Canadian law. WE get the 15 year exemption wink.gif
IdiotStick
QUOTE (GTSOwner @ Jun 20, 2008 - 1:40 PM) *
You're confusing US law with Canadian law. WE get the 15 year exemption wink.gif

Amen, brotha

there was a 6th gen GTfour for sale on J-Specimports earlier in the week. It wasnt a good one at all, but it was the first one!

Had wood trim, the lip kit sucked, and was just not pretty.
GTSOwner
I saw an illegally imported GT-FOUR at Napierville Dragway last week. Felt like smashing the 17 yr old kid's face with my torque wrench.

He ran a 14.5
Legit94GT
Ya i guess got those confused, probally why i couldnt find any information that made sense! lol

Thanks for the input even though it isn't what i wanted to hear frown.gif

OH well i'll just have to to a 3's swap now:)
_mikeE
Well, actually I went to a few underground car shows and there were some cars featured here that were RHD and weren't 15 yrs old.
My friend told me to check out this site and they'll do all the paperwork and (assuming they'll do the VIN for you as well) get everything ready for you, all you have to do is pay for the car and the crate to ship it over. I already checked out the site and their selection of cars are pretty sweet, thinking about importing myself a Caldina or maybe an Evo 5 wink.gif

The site is: www.tradecarview.com

But I would read everything over because my friend and I haven't read everything over yet, so...don't fully rely on what I say, read all the information first.
bloodrain
QUOTE (_mikeE @ Jun 22, 2008 - 3:28 PM) *
Well, actually I went to a few underground car shows and there were some cars featured here that were RHD and weren't 15 yrs old.
My friend told me to check out this site and they'll do all the paperwork and (assuming they'll do the VIN for you as well) get everything ready for you, all you have to do is pay for the car and the crate to ship it over. I already checked out the site and their selection of cars are pretty sweet, thinking about importing myself a Caldina or maybe an Evo 5 wink.gif

The site is: www.tradecarview.com

But I would read everything over because my friend and I haven't read everything over yet, so...don't fully rely on what I say, read all the information first.

well if thats the case, they have a GT-FOUR for $4k, and I imagine it would be another $1500 to ship it. so your telling me for under $6k I could have a GT-FOUR? Man I shouldnt have spent $5k on my celica GT, lol
paul_gt4
Over here in Ireland and the UK we are constantly importing cars from all shapes and styles of celica's to older vintage models right up to the new Nissan GTR, most of these cars we can have shipped, cleared at customs, SVA'd (put to UK/Ireland road legal spec), and MOT'd (vehicle worthiness check) and registered for less than buying the car here as a Euro Spec car. My first ST185ATA GT FOUR Celica cost me just £1600 Sterling (do your maths on the US dollar and thats around $3k in todays money) all i had to do was collect it at the docks in Dublin and take it to the MOT centre and get it tested. So definately worth it here.
bloodrain
QUOTE (paul_gt4 @ Jun 29, 2008 - 9:20 PM) *
Over here in Ireland and the UK we are constantly importing cars from all shapes and styles of celica's to older vintage models right up to the new Nissan GTR, most of these cars we can have shipped, cleared at customs, SVA'd (put to UK/Ireland road legal spec), and MOT'd (vehicle worthiness check) and registered for less than buying the car here as a Euro Spec car. My first ST185ATA GT FOUR Celica cost me just £1600 Sterling (do your maths on the US dollar and thats around $3k in todays money) all i had to do was collect it at the docks in Dublin and take it to the MOT centre and get it tested. So definately worth it here.

thats crazy. I wish $3k would get me a st185, I've been looking around (i want another car) at 240sx and just checked on the st185's, they go for 8K+ here.
paul_gt4
american cars are cheap as chips til you go looking for something you can't get in the domestic market, cars here are danm expensive especially in the republic of ireland, hence the reason the republic of ireland has some of the highest imports number in the world
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.