Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to set your AFM idle/bypass screw to its factory position
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
lagos
One common problem people run into with their 3sgte AFM's is that their idle screw had been messed with at one point or another, and the BGB doesn't have any clear instructions on how to set it back to its factory position. This post will show you how put it back to its original adjustment.

Remove the AFM from your car, and take a look at the section circled in red. It's a little difficult to see (you might have to bust out the carb cleaner), but there is a 2 digit number stamped into the casing. This number is a code that represents the distance from the top of the screw, to the top edge of the whole the screw is recessed in.

Once you get your two digit number, your going to have to refer to this chart to convert the code to millimeters. Keep in mind, that ever AFM has its unique number.

25 = 12.5mm
30 = 13.0mm
35 = 13.5mm
40 = 14.0mm
45 = 14.5mm
50 = 15.0mm
55 = 15.5mm
60 = 16.0mm
65 = 16.5mm

If your code is higher or lower then this chart, then just add/subtract using this chart as an example.

Now that you have your code figured out, your going to need a wooden match (or something similar), a pen, and some kind of digital caliper or micrometer. Set the digital caliper as close as you can to your mm measurement and mark that length on the wooden match with a pen.

Now stick the match down into the AFM so that its touching the very tip of the Philips adjustment screw and adjust the screw as needed so that the marking on your match meets the very top edge of the recessed hole the adjustment screw sits in. Now RESET YOUR ECU by pulling the efi fuse or disconnecting the battery for about 30sec. Reinstall the afm and start the car back up, your AFM is now back to its factory position.

Special note:
1. The factory position of the screw has been found to play a part of cold weather hesitation that the 3sgte tends to have. If you experience this problem, and are brave, you might try changing its position. See this thread for more info....
http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=287627
2. If you have a metal cap over your screw (like the one in the first picture) then your afm bypass screw has never been adjusted, and this doesn't apply to you.
rjbibeau
genius just genius...i bow down to you

i motion for a sticky..anyone second the motion
95st-celica
this dude is all about the fine adjustments to make the car that much better...i like....**props to Joe for letting lagos use his AFM**....hahahah.....i senond that motion sir
lagos
QUOTE (95st-celica @ Jun 21, 2008 - 9:01 PM) *
this dude is all about the fine adjustments to make the car that much better...i like....**props to Joe for letting lagos use his AFM**....hahahah.....i senond that motion sir

Now you know what I was doing with that thing this whole time. smile.gif
presure2
good job art, great post!
added to the stickys!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.