Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about exhaust header
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
GriffGirl
I removed my heat shield yesterday to find that I have a nice crack in my stock exhaust manifold. If my intention is to turbo the car eventually (probably a year away), would it make sense to replace the manifold with something conducive to a turbo project? Or would it make more sense to just replace it with something stock-ish?
DEATH
You can't really replace it with a turbo manifold in the meantime cause nothing will bolt up except a turbo and downpipe. Is your car loud and farty sounding? I'm asking cause I'm wondering if it's cracked thru or not. I would think you would know if you had an exhaust leak long before you took off your heatshield.
Hanyo
it would be a great idea to replace the stock exhaust header with something turbo related.

BUT sadly there is no part out there that is designed to do that.

It would cost more to buy a turbo exhaust manifold and get a custom made down pipe( that would bypass the turbo) then to buy a used turbo manifold.

Considering how many 6gc are going into the junk yard these days, it would be rather cheap to get a stock st manifold.

GriffGirl
Nah, it sounds perfectly fine actually. There's a nice soot mark on the back of the heat shield where the crack is though. The car runs great, actually. This isn't a top priority to get the header replaced, but it's something that I'd like to take care of this summer before the crack gets any worse and I have to replace it.

I'm going to a wrecking yard today, there's 2 1.8 6gcs there. I doubt they have engines in them, but I'm gonna inquire about the manifold anyway. I think I'd rather have a cast iron manifold than a sketchy chinese steel header if the performance is going to be the same anyhow.
DEATH
The performance won't be the same. I've installed a cheap ebay header on an ST before and it did wonders for the top end [Friend's car so I'm impartial].
However, if it isn't making noise maybe just take it to an exhaust shop and find a friendly tech to patch the crack. Burn it in far enough and it should be stronger than the original iron.
presure2
jb weld FTMFBBQW!
hurley97
I'd offer you my manifold to replace it but mine has a crack in it too (not to mention the 94-95/96+ difference), it's been like that for a while now.

I'll be putting my turbo setup on next month so I could care less about the crack or the pretty bad exhaust leak at the flex pipe. I wouldn't worry about it at all if I were you. or like Manny said, JB Weld FTW !! haha

and just some words of advise if you are serious about turbo charging the 7A: Be sure you know exactly what you are getting into before you start getting parts, I've seen a lot of people waste a lot of money while learning how expensive it is for not as much gain as they thought. I'd hate to see you go down that road and sell your whole setup for half what you paid like everyone else. Although you do seem a lot smarter than that I still feel the need to warn you a little. Check out my turbo project thread if you haven't already, I've already spent close to $6,000 on my setup and I'm well aware of what I'm going to get in return. If you're serious about it, good luck and I'm willing to help any way I can. smile.gif
DEATH
QUOTE (hurley97 @ Jun 23, 2008 - 8:10 PM) *
and just some words of advise if you are serious about turbo charging the 7A: Be sure you know exactly what you are getting into before you start getting parts, I've seen a lot of people waste a lot of money while learning how expensive it is for not as much gain as they thought. I'd hate to see you go down that road and sell your whole setup for half what you paid like everyone else. Although you do seem a lot smarter than that I still feel the need to warn you a little. Check out my turbo project thread if you haven't already, I've already spent close to $6,000 on my setup and I'm well aware of what I'm going to get in return. If you're serious about it, good luck and I'm willing to help any way I can. smile.gif

Sound words x2. The 7A-FTE project is more special than the 5S-FTE project IMO because it yields so low of gains for the money [Yes you can pull much more but is it practical?]. I have no doubt, just knowing the nature of N/A to FI mods, that it would be fun as hell to drive but in many cases I think a good old fashioned swap to 3S-GTE is more what was expected and a 4A-GZE swap is probably what should have happened.
Do what you want tho Griffy - If I know you you'll research and pull out all the stops and make a fine 7A-FTE - just know what the return really is.

Presure2 - You really can use JBweld on exhaust manifolds? I somehow doubted that one just due to the extreme heat but my mom is having similar problems on her Crustang.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.