Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Knock Sensor bad? Good? Important?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
PHLCELICA
Decided to finally check the check engine light and it came out code 52. Saying the knock sensor was either open or shorted.

Few questions and comment's so hopefully someone can help.

1. I disconned the knock sensor and the RPM's went down slightly... Does that mean that the sensor itself is still functioning?

2. When the car gets turned on the check engine light does not come on. It only comes on when I begin to move or rev the car over 3000 RPMS

3. If the sensor is damaged or the wiring. Can it cause harm to the engine?

4. How would I know for sure if the knock sensor is bad, going bad, open or just shorted?

Thanx
Batman722
reset the codes, if it comes back or drives bad, then replace the knock sensor.
It's very important.
reko
They have it in japan, we dont

All my friends are running civics with JDM engines and non of them have a knock sensor.
Every time v-tec kicks, their check engine turns on

But besides that, that's it...

My cousin has a shop ( www.tf-performance.com ) and he never plugs any knock sensor unless you really want one and are ready to pay for it...

To him its just useless
Bitter
QUOTE (reko @ Jun 28, 2008 - 9:02 AM) *

All my friends are running civics with JDM engines and non of them have a knock sensor.
Every time v-tec kicks, their check engine turns on

But besides that, that's it...

My cousin has a shop ( www.tf-performance.com ) and he never plugs any knock sensor unless you really want one and are ready to pay for it...

To him its just useless

laugh.gif theyre all idiots laugh.gif

knock sensor is very damned important, its what tells the PCM that the engine is starting to potentially harm itself. without the pcm has no way to know whether or not theres too much timing or if it can advance the timing further. i'd bet anything that your civic buddies would gain some power if they were using the knock sensor and the correct pcm that has the knock sensor input....now if they just didnt install it because they dont understand what it does and its importance then they're just retards to the highest power.
Batman722
QUOTE (reko @ Jun 28, 2008 - 10:02 AM) *

all USDM 6 gen GTs have a knock sensor.
PHLCELICA
How would I go about resetting the codes?
Bitter
QUOTE (PHLCELICA @ Jun 28, 2008 - 11:56 AM) *
How would I go about resetting the codes?

pull the EFI/HTR fuse for about 10-15 minutes or disconnect the negative battery cable for the same amount of time. pulling the fuse will keep your radio settings.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.